Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Order in which penos are taken

• 27-06-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

What's the story here? After the slight bit of confusion in tonight's match, it got me to wondering.

Is it actually illegal to change the order in which the players you have selected for penalties take their turn?

The rule is worded in a bit of a vague way
    • Each team is responsible for selecting the players from those on the field of play at the end of the match and the order in which they will take the kicks.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/laws_of_the_game_0708_10565.pdf

It doesn't really specify that the order can not be changed. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Whats confusing about that?

It clearly says you pick from the 11 available and pick what order they go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

kryogen wrote: »
    Whats confusing about that?

It clearly says you pick from the 11 available and pick what order they go in.

Well it doesn't really state that the order cannot be changed. Has there ever been a case in which a result has been negated because the kicking order hasn't been adhered to?

Well it doesn't really state that the order cannot be changed. Has there ever been a case in which a result has been negated because the kicking order hasn't been adhered to?

I have no idea, but much like when you hand in your team sheet to the officials before a game your penalty list cannot be changed

Obviously you can make a change to the starting line up but it will cost you one of your subs. You dont have anything like that in penalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If the team is responsible for selecting players and the order , then it cannot be illegal .

If Ronaldo had taken a penalty instead of continuously looking up at the TV screen to see if he could see himself , then the outcome could have been different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

If the team is responsible for selecting players and the order , then it cannot be illegal .

If Ronaldo had taken a penalty instead of continuously looking up at the TV screen to see if he could see himself , then the outcome could have been different

My god...

• Advertisement

Part A: eh, what?

Part B: lol your a funny guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I remember years ago in an FA Cup reply between Newcastle and Everton at Goodison Park, it was David Ginola's turn to go up and take a penalty, but on his way up to take his penalty (think it was 2nd or 3rd peno for Newcastle), he was limping badly and realized he was not going to be able to take it, so someone else then came up instead to take it.

I know Ginola did not end up taking a peno and that Newcastle ended up losing it, but cant remember if Newcastle had to take their 5th or whether it went to sudden death. But its the only time I've ever seen the designated penalty taker being replaced by someone else,

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Haha, you're some man for one man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

When somebody scores a penalty it counts as one goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Any more insights for us Terry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

That's enough wisdom for me to take in for today I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Is it actually illegal to change the order in which the players you have selected for penalties take their turn?

well it must be otherwise Bruno Alves wouldn't have turned back...wonder what would have happened if he took it? would his spot kick be classed as null & void?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

fryup wrote: »

well it must be otherwise Bruno Alves wouldn't have turned back...wonder what would have happened if he took it? would his spot kick be classed as null & void?
    The team decides which order the penos are taken in it has nothing to do with the officials the kickers can be changed at the last minute if someone bottles it....i think nani ran up to make sure he took the third si he wouldnt have the pressure of taking the fourth peno which has added pressure coz if u miss u could be out on the next kick... Where as if u have to miss the 1st 2nd or 3rd atleast u have some of staying in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

The team decides which order the penos are taken in it has nothing to do with the officials the kickers can be changed at the last minute if someone bottles it....i think nani ran up to make sure he took the third si he wouldnt have the pressure of taking the fourth peno which has added pressure coz if u miss u could be out on the next kick... Where as if u have to miss the 1st 2nd or 3rd atleast u have some of staying in it

Why would he wait until he *just* reached the ball to tell him he wanted to take it. Doesn't make sense. It must be in the UEFA rulebook somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

My god...

But he's right. Ronaldo spent half the time looking up at the big screen to see if his hair was ok. One perfect example of this was when he was lining up to take a free kick, looked up to the screen, noticed a hair in the wrong place, and swiftly fixed it with a quick finger combing.

Back on topic, if the order could have been changed, Ronaldo should have been given penalty #4 instead of the last, which of course, he didn't need to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wow, the lengths to which people are going to find an excuse to have a go at Ronaldo are becoming ridiculous.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The lengths people are going to in order to excuse a professional footballer's not being able to hit a barn door at ten paces are arguably worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭brick tamland

There is no order given to refs so they dont have to be taken in any order

what looks like happened last night is that the portugal team/managment agreed an order pre the start of the shoot out with Nani 3rd, Alves 4th and Ronaldo 5th and alves got mixed up. It was said as much in the press confreces after the game, that the manager decided that ronaldo was to go last. All this talk of ronaldo wanting glory/bottling/looking at himself on tele is just plain old bollox.

Plus Ronaldo had a bad record on penos in big games, Missed v Barca in CL semi, Chelsea CL Final and Munich in the semi too. Not sure he would have done much better

The lengths people are going to in order to excuse a professional footballer's not being able to hit a barn door at ten paces are arguably worse.

I haven't seen anybody criticise, never mind defend Moutinho or Alonso at all :confused:

There is no order given to refs so they dont have to be taken in any order

what looks like happened last night is that the portugal team/managment agreed an order pre the start of the shoot out with Nani 3rd, Alves 4th and Ronaldo 5th and alves got mixed up. It was said as much in the press confreces after the game, that the manager decided that ronaldo was to go last. All this talk of ronaldo wanting glory/bottling/looking at himself on tele is just plain old bollox.

Plus Ronaldo had a bad record on penos in big games, Missed v Barca in CL semi, Chelsea CL Final and Munich in the semi too. Not sure he would have done much better

He is 100% in internationals, scored the decisive penalty v England in 2006, where he went 5th, scored in a penalty shoout out in the Euros 04 where he went 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

There is perhaps only one thing worse than losing and that is losing when you think you could have done things differently.

That, however, is the anguish being suffered by Cristiano Ronaldo and his coach Paulo Bento in the wake of Portugal’s exit from Euro 2012 against Spain on Wednesday.

Nevertheless the debate over why Ronaldo didn’t take a penalty in the shoot-out Portugal lost to their great rivals in Donetsk continues with the squad’s captain and talisman revealing that he actually wanted to take the first kick but that Bento advised otherwise.

Ronaldo said: ‘The coach is the one to pick penalties takers and I was the fifth. If it was my call I’d be the first.
    ‘There wasn’t any ghost haunting me after my miss against Bayern Munich in the Champions League this season. But, equally, it wasn’t my decision to take the fifth one

Nevertheless what has not yet been explained by anybody in the Portugal camp is why Ronaldo wasn’t promoted up the order of penalty takers once it became clear that the shoot-out may not last the distance

UEFA confirmed to Sportsmail that there is no set order given to the match referee before a shoot-out starts, meaning that Ronaldo could have taken the fourth kick had he wished

He added ‘Penalties are a lottery and Spain were lucky. I congratulate them. During the game everyone was evenly matched and we must be proud of what we have done
    You can take the second, the third or the fifth. It doesn’t matter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro2012/article-2166173/Euro-2012-Im-bottler-says-Cristiano-Ronaldo.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Ronaldo is not Bottler

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

Sorry for not having an exact quote guys but as a referee myself to clear everything up.

Kicks from the penalty mark are taken in an order that must be given before any kicks are taken and this order must not be altered.

For example if I am told the order will be 8, 3, 17, 2, 7 as the Portugal team said to the officials then the kicks from the penalty mark must be taken in that order.

It wasn't seen on tele but I would assume one of the 2 assistant referees in the middle with the teams told Nani that he must actually go third n not Bruno Alves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Let's be honest, if Ronaldo had taken the 2nd penalty and scored, and Alves took the 5th and missed people would be having a go about Ronaldo not having the balls to take the pressurised decisive peno. Haters gon' hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have always thought that every outfield player who is still on the pitch should have to take a penalty, surely that would be fairer?

No hiding places then for all these striker and midfielders who shy away from taking them.

Plus it would be less likely that one single player will be remembered for missing and costing his team.

(How it would work when a team has a player sent off I don't know, but I'm sure it could be tackled).

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

CSF wrote: »
    Let's be honest, if Ronaldo had taken the 2nd penalty and scored, and Alves took the 5th and missed people would be having a go about Ronaldo not having the balls to take the pressurised decisive peno. Haters gon' hate.

Ya got it in one. I can't stand Ronaldo. Hate him more than I hate Drogba or Terry but it takes bottle to step up to take what in general will be the decisive penalty. Is Cesc a cocky son of a ....... with his head so far up his arse for taking Spains last penalty? Or How about Steve Finnan taking out 5th against Spain in 2002?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

leposean wrote: »
    Sorry for not having an exact quote guys but as a referee myself to clear everything up.

Kicks from the penalty mark are taken in an order that must be given before any kicks are taken and this order must not be altered.

For example if I am told the order will be 8, 3, 17, 2, 7 as the Portugal team said to the officials then the kicks from the penalty mark must be taken in that order.

It wasn't seen on tele but I would assume one of the 2 assistant referees in the middle with the teams told Nani that he must actually go third n not Bruno Alves

That's contrary to what UEFA apparently said in the article posted above by allthedoyles
    UEFA confirmed to Sportsmail that there is no set order given to the match referee before a shoot-out starts, meaning that Ronaldo could have taken the fourth kick had he wished

Advertisement