Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[HELP]AsRock Pro3 Gen3 vs Bitfenix Merc Alpha

Options
  • 27-06-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

So I was builing my first pc and all was going well, until we decided it had to be turned on. It never turned on. It didn't even try to. My uncle and I have a different diagnosis. He believes the PSU is faulty, I think it is the layout of the system header on the motherboard and the confusing names between the cables and mobo.

I know a lot of you here have recommended this case + mobo before and you may be able to help me.

The names of the cables are as follows:
    PWR LED +(Blue)
    PWR LED - (Green)
    HDD LED (Red + White)
    PWR SW (Orange + Yellow)
    RESET SW (Brown + Black)

The motherboard system header looks like this:

Untitled-2.png

So we've tried various different combinations and none of them seemed to work, we,ve checked for the stupid things like is the lead in properly , is it plugged in, etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We feel so silly to be defeated at the last hurdle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Take out all the front panel connectors, and short the power led pin with a screwdriver with the power on. Also, are you sure you have everything Plugged in? Wouldn't want to spend all this time to find out you forgot to switch it on at the back of the PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DaleHyland

Eboggles wrote: »
    Take out all the front panel connectors, and short the power led pin with a screwdriver with the power on. Also, are you sure you have everything Plugged in? Wouldn't want to spend all this time to find out you forgot to switch it on at the back of the PSU.

I can't do it now as my uncle took it away with him to check the psu. My dad and uncle thought it was some crazy witch doctor remedy when I suggested the screwdriver method. Yes , we checked to see if the button was pressed :D.
    If we were to short it, are you sure it's the power led pin? Why not the power btn pin?

It's one of those :D. I just mash the screwdriver between them all and hope it turns on.

I would really appreciate if someone with this set up could tell me the right combination , as we're really at a loss here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

what motherboard is it? the 990fx pro 3?

• Advertisement

N64 wrote: »
    what motherboard is it? the 990fx pro 3?
    It's the asrock pro3 gen3 , as per title , case is bitfenix alpha.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Your pwr sw cable needs to be connected to the pwrbtn pin and a gnd pin. Disconnect all of the others and try it. If it still doesn't start try shorting the pwrbtn pin with a gnd pin, this will rule out the power button being the problem. Pics would also help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

PWR LED +(Blue)
    PWR LED - (Green) <---- That's the LED, i.e., the light that shows when the power is on, not essential. Connect this pair to PLED+ and PLED-. If you connect them the wrong way around, it just won't work, so switch them.

HDD LED (Red + White) <---- Another light to show hard drive activity, not essential
    Connect to HDLED + and -. Same as above, if they're the wrong way around, it won't work.

PWR SW (Orange + Yellow) <---- Power switch. This is the pair that you short
    Connect to PWRBTN (power button) and the GND (ground) next to it. As far as I know, you can connect this pair either way.

RESET SW (Brown + Black) <---- Reset switch. Connect to RESET and the GND next to it.

Make sure that you have the power connected to everything properly - connect to the 24-pin connector on the motherboard and the 8-pin one too (a lot of people forget this one).

Well guys , my uncle took the PSU away to be tested and he said it's dead. Not a single volt came out of it, it's such a pity. I'll have to RMA it, how long will that take? If you are wondering , it's a superflower amazon 550w.

DaleHyland wrote: »
    Well guys , my uncle took the PSU away to be tested and he said it's dead. Not a single volt came out of it, it's such a pity. I'll have to RMA it, how long will that take? If you are wondering , it's a superflower amazon 550w.

It might take a while seeming as it's from Germany, if you wanted you could pick up an XFX 550 watt in Maplins, although their prices are terrbile. Maybe bring your rig to a PC World, or Pc repair shop and ask if they have any spare power supplies to check the rig in the store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

You can do a check on the PSU to see does it power on without any components connected to it.
    It will help decide if the PSU is really dead.

http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-power-supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components

Gents, it's the power supply, tried that and no luck.
    Upon sending the email I got this reply.

Please send us the article for the purpose of exchange, repair or allowance. Of course we will take over the postage costs for you. Please pay first the postage costs and hand the receipt as well as your Iban and BIC code over to us. If the value of the complained article is under 40,00 € you unfortunately have to bear the costs for the return by yourself.

Please add a copy of the invoice as well as the filled return form to the package.

So do I go to An Post with the PSU in a box with the invoice and what return form?

Advertisement