Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New look boards, will AH ever be the same again?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Rabies wrote: »
    How the hell do I go back to the old skin?

Link's at the bottom of the first post in the feedback thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Is it possible to have f.lux change based on the brightness of your screen or something, with macros and what not? There's one built in to Windows but it's rubbish.

Yeah, you can set it to automatic or adjust it yourself manually and there are settings for day and night time viewing. It's ok really, if you like a coral-y pinky tone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

csi vegas wrote: »
    Not if you have a calibrated monitor. Dem colours be wrong that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 xL

ccold. bbbbright....Cannot.....type......much....more..........just................too...cccold..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

In fine like but... I mean... Where's the heart?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 xL

csi vegas wrote: »

I like.

It's like I'm wearing cool brown sunglasses, except, I'm not wearing cool brown sunglasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Not Boards' fault that you're technologically retarded

I figured out how to quote and 'thank posts' , a few mins ago on thanks to you!,
    however there was one button I saw straight away and it wasn't hard to touch it, the report button.
    How dare you insinuate that I'm technologically re←→ed.
    I know its after hours, but that was going to far!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

EDIT: I'm way too lazy to read through the page on Feedback, but will the regular skin still be available?

Yeah, but no features are planned to be published for it. Everything is going to be applied to the new setup. Not too sure what else is planned to be added though.

I like it, Beta was more free flowing then standard and other than clicking on sub forums, the new beta flows pretty well when it comes to menus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I said in the feedback thread...

- Far too much wasted space
    - Buttons are far too big
    - Doesn't resize properly
    - Even with a screen filter on my laptop it's still too damn bright!!
    - It's unnecessary! We already have a mobile/touch version for phones/tablets

It seems Boards is going the way Microsoft is with Windows 8 - this "one size fits all" approach to the UI. It's not working out too well for MS based on the feedback and I can't see it working here.

Since when did being happy with a keyboard and mouse become the computing equivalent of leprosy?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i have used the evil skin since day one. so as long as i can still use it, i wont see a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I reaally only use touch.boards so I've no idea what ya'll are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you type in white, nobody can see it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I've always used the grey skin, so when I changed it yesterday, I was so lost and confused and well.. I nearly died.
    It was just awful.
    So I spent a good half hour of pure panic trying to figure out how to get it back, and I finally figured it out.
    Now all is well with the world again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It has ended my days on boards while at work as my OS doesn't support it and I can't delete cookies history etc. I can't even revert to the old one now so my view is its a balls. It worked perfectly well and there was no need to change it. I have left 3 forums this year because they updated their forum to newer versions. They ended up cluttered and difficult to navigate and one of them is now on the verge of ruin as so many of its former members couldn't be bothered with it any more.

Will the iPhone app be effected?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

CJC999 wrote: »
    It has ended my days on boards while at work as my OS doesn't support it and I can't delete cookies history etc. I can't even revert to the old one now so my view is its a balls. It worked perfectly well and there was no need to change it. I have left 3 forums this year because they updated their forum to newer versions. They ended up cluttered and difficult to navigate and one of them is now on the verge of ruin as so many of its former members couldn't be bothered with it any more.

Will the iPhone app be effected?

Oh hush with the amateur melodramatics. Here's the link to turn back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

after I checked it out I tried to go back to my classic skin but Boards kept changing it to Cloud. Good god that skin's hideous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Am I the only one that has experienced no change?! Everything looks the same?!

Had I (by default) picked the ****test background in the first place :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Oh hush with the amateur melodramatics. Here's the link to turn back :rolleyes:

Ok finally found the way back The problem I had was no radio buttons or pictures were displaying. It looked like a word document with everything listed in descending order rather than across the pages. Anyway back to normal now and doubt I'll be using the new skin. Will the old version always be available to use or will it eventually disappear?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    It seems Boards is going the way Microsoft is with Windows 8 - this "one size fits all" approach to the UI. It's not working out too well for MS based on the feedback and I can't see it working here.

Since when did being happy with a keyboard and mouse become the computing equivalent of leprosy?? :(
    :) Yea, Apple are doing similar with their GUI. The latest desktop incarnation threw some daft "features" into the mix EG no scroll bars until you start scrolling which is utterly daft interface wise(though still currently able to switch that off). This from a company who really did get so many things right in the GUI, a company who had a book a couple of inches thick for developers to adhere to their well researched rules of the UI. I suppose they hope they'll get those who bought iphones and ipads into their PC range or something. You can largely "blame" apple for the touch GUI interface itself. Don't get me wrong I like the touch GUI in general. IT's been a great move, but when this is translated as a "good thing" to desktop environments I think WTF sometimes.

Still the new boards gui looks pretty good. NOt easy to build such a thing so kudos on that score to those involved.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

phasers wrote: »
    after I checked it out I tried to go back to my classic skin but Boards kept changing it to Cloud. Good god that skin's hideous.

I love cloud everything else is soo bright

It's AH.
    Even if it were brown, smelling of **** and upside down, they would all still flock to it.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Tried it for a bit then went back to the old beta. wasted vertical space per index page item (thread titles list), didn't fit properly horizontally in Opera (H scroll bars always).

Might try it again later.

[edit]Seems good on Chrome, while i'm on someone else's laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Guill wrote: »
    As I said on feedback, It's too square and impersonnal. To God damn white too, will burn a hole through our eyes.
    Use the minimalist skin when that functionality is enabled.

Advertisement