Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abstract Reasoning

• 28-06-2012 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Really did not know where to put this thread, sorry.
    Anyway I am at a good level but I really need to get at the top. I was wondering if anyone knew any good books from which I could practice, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Well, this thread is fairly abstract. Just saying abstract in itself is abstract. Care to be more specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Try the bible. Its really thick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Well, this thread is fairly abstract. Just saying abstract in itself is abstract. Care to be more specific?

Sorry, I mean, tasks like distinguishing patterns amidst a jumbled row of pictures or something. I do not exactly know how to explain it but let me try and describe it to you...
    You are given say 3 boxes that each contain various shapes something different is happening to each shape in the three boxes to reach a conclusion that you must figure out by picking the right shape that fits into the fourth ( you will be given options for this as well!)

D1stant wrote: »
    Try the bible. Its really thick

Jesus Christ, cheers for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Izymunz wrote: »
    Sorry, I mean, tasks like distinguishing patterns amidst a jumbled row of pictures or something. I do not exactly know how to explain it but let me try and describe it to you...
    You are given say 3 boxes that each contain various shapes something different is happening to each shape in the three boxes to reach a conclusion that you must figure out by picking the right shape that fits into the fourth ( you will be given options for this as well!)
    What the fucking fuck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

I think the OP means something like those questions in aptitude tests (DATS or HPAT maybe?) where you have finish a sequence of seemingly random images by working out a pattern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I can do abstraction

2-1=1
    3-1=2
    4-1=3

May I suggest buying a sums book OP

I think Easons have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Is it like reading something like this

and making sense of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Play chess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

You wanna be autistic is that what ya mean ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I can't do sums.

Where To wrote: »
    I can do abstraction

2-1=1
    3-1=2
    4-1=3

. Seriously, do you not have anything better to do! Thanks for making me feel like ****. I am sorry for ****ing up the english language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

. Seriously, do you not have anything better to do! Thanks for making me feel like ****. I am sorry for ****ing up the english language.
    Are you abstractly hitting on me OP?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It sounds like you want to improve your logical reasoning to do better on some sort of aptitude test.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

There is a lot to be said for clarity and good sentence structure though

Just say'n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Just say'n

Well go ahead and start your own to thread to say it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Just say'n

His/Her post was quite easily understood, you must have comprehending issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is remarkable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Bingo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Here, if you can understand all of this then you've become a master of abstract reasoning.

Also, here is a what a fourth dimensional analogue to the cube looks like as it rotates: Cilck.

Sorry, brains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Abstract Reasoning
    Really did not know where to put this thread, sorry.
    Anyway I am at a good level but I really need to get at the top. I was wondering if anyone knew any good books from which I could practice, thanks.

Top level abstraction is definitely the pinnacle, Izymunz, as all lower levels of abstraction will always lead one to wonder: can anything or anyone be more abstract than this? . . . knowing full well that by just asking the question about deeper abstraction possibilities is proof positive that there must be missed abstraction - just by having those conscious thoughts about there being deeper or higher level abstraction awaiting you, yet invisible to you or beyond you, while you think those thoughts. Not to mention the juxtaposed depth and height of abstraction operating simultaneously is an abstract notion in itself; one wonders can we ever reach the bottom, locate and scratch that itch of abstraction while living, or is total abstraction the stuff of the afterlife, where we will be raised to the highest or lowest abstraction level possible?

Is this the type of abstract thinking you seek?

Even the Dalai Lama needs lessons in abstract thinking, which is really synaptic thinking, much like clicking links on the neural net. Go to YouTube and key in this search string: perth australia dalai lama one with everything

[sorry, but I cannot post the link, as I am on link parole]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Where To wrote: »
    I can do abstraction

2-1=1
    3-1=2
    4-1=3

13 x 7 = 28

Abbot and Costello proved it in 1946.. using abstract reasoning =p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

If you're trying to improve scores for an aptitude / IQ test your best best... is to practice. Most of those tests (particularly online ones, which can't test for memory retention) can be repeated and what you'll notice is the repeating of certain patterns. That's not necessarily because the same patterns are repeating but more because you've trained your brain, through repetition, to seek out patterns.

That's why I thanked the poster earlier who recommended chess. Recognizing patterns is at the heart of Chess. If you doubt that, watch a 5 minute blitz between world class players. Mind-boggling stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

If you're trying to improve scores for an aptitude / IQ test your best best... is to practice. Most of those tests (particularly online ones, which can't test for memory retention) can be repeated and what you'll notice is the repeating of certain patterns. That's not necessarily because the same patterns are repeating but more because you've trained your brain, through repetition, to seek out patterns.

That's why I thanked the poster earlier who recommended chess. Recognizing patterns is at the heart of Chess. If you doubt that, watch a 5 minute blitz between world class players. Mind-boggling stuff.

How about Celtic Chess - Fidhcheall style? Invented by Lugh, the Irish god of light?

One King. 49 squares. 21 players . . . random chance - zero.

Do you happen to know the rules for that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Pointless tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

His/Her post was quite easily understood, you must have comprehending issues

not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I'm really good at that.
    I did some test in 4th year in school and I scored in the top 1 percentile in the country.
    I don't know if you can really learn it?
    Is it not just something you either have or don't have?
    I guess just practice a whole bunch of those type of questions.
    Why do you want to get better at it anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

these tests are known as psychometrics. I presume op has a job competency test coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I did some test in 4th year in school and I scored in the top 1 percentile in the country.

You don't do any real tests in 4th year so they tell everyone that result to make them feel good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Pointless tread.

Tyre tread or stair tread

It's a ****ing thread

smash wrote: »
    You don't do any real tests in 4th year so they tell everyone that result to make them feel good.

Okay

I am good at it though!
    It's one of the only things I'm good at!
    Now you've ruined my whole day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Okay

I am good at it though!
    It's one of the only things I'm good at!
    Now you've ruined my whole day :(
    ok I'll let you have it this time then.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

This the test you were thinking of? http://www.erc.ie/index.php?p=41

I did it in 3rd year, and scored in the top 1% for Abstract Reasoning. I also downright flunked most everything else.

The guidance counsellor thought all this amusing.

• Advertisement

Ruire wrote: »
    This the test you were thinking of? http://www.erc.ie/index.php?p=41

I did it in 3rd year, and scored in the top 1% for Abstract Reasoning. I also downright flunked most everything else.

The guidance counsellor thought all this amusing.

No idea!
    Probably.
    And I was the same - shyte at everything else!
    I had to do another one of those type tests a few years ago too when they were testing me for dyslexia - and pretty much the same results - very good at abstract reasoning - useless at everything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

No idea!
    Probably.
    And I was the same - shyte at everything else!
    I had to do another one of those type tests a few years ago too when they were testing me for dyslexia - and pretty much the same results - very good at abstract reasoning - useless at everything else!
    I was recommended to go study maths, and then said guidance counsellor remembered how I'd failed my mock maths exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP could you not have made up something simpler to write about like your kittens have gone missing in your laundry basket or something else that we could retort with witty/smutty remarks.

If you had posted the above I would have asked "when did you last see your pussy?"

Advertisement