Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Senator John Crown calls for ban on tobacco products by 2025

• 28-06-2012 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0627/senator-calls-for-ban-on-tobacco-products-by-2025.html
    The senator, who is also a consultant oncologist, said the measures should be adopted at a European level.
    He said placing a ban on the manufacturing and sale of cigarettes should be a long-term goal.

Senator Crown said: "It will give the companies time to re-tool the machines to make something else.
    "This is a time when the world is short of food. Imagine all that agricultural land being used to produce cancer causing tobacco instead of being used to grow food.

"It will allow the pension funds to reinvest and it will give the addicts due notice, if you're still alive in ten to 15 years, you won't be able to get cigarettes legally."

Senator Crown, along with Jillian van Turnhout and Mark Daly, advocated a Bill that will see a ban on smoking in cars in Ireland when children are in the vehicle. The Bill was approved by the Cabinet yesterday.

Good, could even shorten it to 2020.

With it being a Tax staple though, will it ever happen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

If they were to do this, they'd make up the loss of tax in other stuff. Oxygen tax anyone?

Posted it in the other thread, but it bears repeating. Its the onion, but reality is being just as crazy. Or, people are advocating for it, I should say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This guy is talking through his hoop, most non smokers will be jumping around with glee at this news, without realizing that the income tax rate will probably go up to 35/40% to cover the loss of tax from smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Look at what happened during the Prohibition era in the US. This will only fuel criminality and gangland violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

He can f*ck right off, the sandal wearing hippie twat.

/Rolls up a smooth Old Holborn...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

At least he's laid bare the aim of the health fascists - to criminalise smoking and smokers.

Does anyone else see the irony in this? We replace religious moral intolerance with "healthy living" intolerance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Nah, they should just tax the hell out of it even more. Be a bit silly banning when they could just make it a super luxury product and make a load o' money.
    People should be able to choose for themselves whether they smoke or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm a smoker and I'd love to see them made illegal. It will reduce the number of deaths caused by the habit. Of course some people will buy them illegally, but the numbers of people taking smoking up in the first place would be greatly reduced, and the onus would be on smokers to at least try harder to quit.

I really hate the pussyfooting that goes on in relation to tobacco. Nobody denies that it's a lethal addiction but yet far more innocuous things are regularly banned.

I'm a smoker and I'd love to see them made illegal. It will reduce the number of deaths caused by the habit. Of course some people will buy them illegally, but the numbers of people taking smoking up in the first place would be greatly reduced, and the onus would be on smokers to at least try harder to quit.
    And then... http://arabia.msn.com/business/press/press/2012/april/cigarette_market_egypt/ministry-health-confirms.aspx
    Dr. Latif explained that, “illegal cigarettes are often manufactured and stored in highly polluted and infested areas. Based on other independent researches indicated that illicit cigarettes contain metals and toxic substances that are gravely harmful to the consumer’s health.”
    http://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/2012/04/27/children-sold-illegal-cigarettes-at-20p-a-pop-by-unscrupulous-midland-corner-shops-claims-former-scotland-yard-detective-97319-30848927/
    Children sold illegal cigarettes at 20p a pop by unscrupulous Midland corner shops, claims former Scotland Yard detective
    So, it would just expand the drug war. Not exactly doing anything for the greater good, IMO. It would be giving up on the money that was being made on tax, creating a vacuum in which criminal enterprise can make money... Not really seeing the gains.

How long til the "we all have to pay for your healthcare" argument comes along. **** it, I don't want anyone else paying for my healthcare if it impinges on my right to give myself cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You won't around in 13 years Senator Crown, you and the rest of your talking shop will be abolished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Good to see someone is trying to make progress in relation to this. The tax should be moved onto unhealthy foods. Much wider base to draw from so wouldnt affect prices too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

he can shove it up his bollox

/lights benson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If only stupid ideas caused cancer there'd be fewer people like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,756 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm no believer in making things illegal. I'm no believer that making smokes even more expensive than they are now would help in people smoking less or giving them up. That ain't gonna work.

The only thing that will work is for culture to change into making smoking less socially acceptable and less cool for younger people to start doing. This has been going on for a good few years now and it is working. Slowly.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Good to see someone is trying to make progress in relation to this. The tax should be moved onto unhealthy foods. Much wider base to draw from so wouldnt affect prices too much.
    This isn't a tax. It's a ban.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    This isn't a tax. It's a ban.

I know, the loss of tax which will result from the ban is what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

And then... http://arabia.msn.com/business/press/press/2012/april/cigarette_market_egypt/ministry-health-confirms.aspx

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/2012/04/27/children-sold-illegal-cigarettes-at-20p-a-pop-by-unscrupulous-midland-corner-shops-claims-former-scotland-yard-detective-97319-30848927/

So, it would just expand the drug war. Not exactly doing anything for the greater good, IMO. It would be giving up on the money that was being made on tax, creating a vacuum in which criminal enterprise can make money... Not really seeing the gains.

If it was done over night then of course many problems would arise. I meant that it should be progressively outlawed, with proper help for smokers along the way, and carried out on a set timescale & with an encompassing legal framework to deal with any fallout. You could decriminalize possession while still targeting criminal groups.

The ultimate goal being that people are left knowing that taking up the habit in the first place has no measurable benefits whatsoever. It's not a social or party drug, the only people that see any real upsides to using it are those already addicted.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    I know, the loss of tax which will result from the ban is what I'm talking about.
    Oh, right, I get you now. You'd probably have to tax the unhealthy food 300% for that plan to work though. So, it wouldn't work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

If it becomes illegal to smoke or buy tobacco products perhaps we can enact the death penalty for selling cigarettes.

Really great idea.

Oh, right, I get you now. You'd probably have to tax the unhealthy food 300% for that plan to work though. So, it wouldn't work.

I dunno there is an awful lot of money being handed out for unhealthy foods. And much more people eat junk than smoke so you'd be taxing a much larger group over a huge number of products. Might not make up the entire shortfall but it would gather a sizable chunk if not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wouldn't a stupid ban like this also have a negative impact on the tourist industry. Smoking is as prevalent as ever on the continent, these people aren't going to holiday here anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Well if smoking banned then what becomes the goverment new bitch?

If it was done over night then of course many problems would arise. I meant that it should be progressively outlawed, with proper help for smokers along the way, and carried out on a set timescale & with an encompassing legal framework to deal with any fallout. You could decriminalize possession while still targeting criminal groups.

The ultimate goal being that people are left knowing that taking up the habit in the first place has no measurable benefits whatsoever. It's not a social or party drug, the only people that see any real upsides to using it are those already addicted.
    I'm really curious how people would react if you replaced this thread with alcohol and drinkers.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    If it becomes illegal to smoke or buy tobacco products perhaps we can enact the death penalty for selling cigarettes.

Really great idea.
    No, I'm sure people would be happy with heavy fines as some attempt to make up for the loss of money from smokers no longer paying tax*.
    Wouldn't a stupid ban like this also have a negative impact on the tourist industry. Smoking is as prevalent as ever on the continent, these people aren't going to holiday here anymore.
    Well, this trend of banning smoking is fairly large scale in global terms. Not entirely global, but it gets around, that's for sure. So, if it were to be in play here, it'd likely end up in play elsewhere as well.

*Boards needs a shake-head smiley. Roll eyes wouldn't have been appropriate there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'll just grow tobacco myself then. Maybe form an Amateur Tobacco Smoking and Cultivating Club where for a membership fee you get some organization merchandise which may include tobacco to "sample". The membership fee would be weekly of course. Then I can market it to the kiddies.

Sindri wrote: »
    I'll just grow tobacco myself then. Maybe form an Amateur Tobacco Smoking and Cultivating Club where for a membership fee you get some organization merchandise which may include tobacco to "sample". The membership fee would be weekly of course. Then I can market it to the kiddies.

But that's illegal, I'm telling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Completely agree with his motives in that smoking should be discouraged and stamped out. But when has telling people they can't do something actually resulted in them not doing it?

ColHol wrote: »
    Completely agree with his motives in that smoking should be discouraged and stamped out. But when has telling people they can't do something actually resulted in them not doing it?

Since never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Although I'm of the belief that prohibition doesn't work and aside from the criminality and black market that would take over tobacco ..... it would be a great long term goal if accomplished.

I seriously can't understand people who smoke or support it's existence (basically the majority of my mates, father etc etc :rolleyes:). Nearly everyone I know complains about addiction to it, tries giving up but will probably lambast the idea of being rid of it.

I'd almost rather see people on recreational drugs like Cannabis or cocaine instead increasing their smoke related disease chances of cancer, bronchitis or a tumor the size of a new born baby in their larynx.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    I seriously can't understand people who smoke or support it's existence (basically the majority of my mates, father etc etc :rolleyes:).
    Would there be the same level of bafflement be raised if it were alcohol that was under discussion? Not directed at just you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I can see this working well alright... An absolutely retarded idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Pedant wrote: »
    Look at what happened during the Prohibition era in the US. This will only fuel criminality and gangland violence.

exactly also banning dope or other narcotics didnt work so why would banning ciggies work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

If it would be effective, I'd happily support but as history had proven. Banning drugs does not work and would create far greater risks such as funding crime etc.... Also feck it, it's up to each person what they want to do to their bodies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

i actually think it's a good idea. Smoking weed and drinking can be in someway enjoyable when done in moderation

But smoking is pretty joyless until you're hooked enough to really get a hit from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I really hate the pussyfooting that goes on in relation to tobacco. Nobody denies that it's a lethal addiction but yet far more innocuous things are regularly banned.

Is tobacco the real problem however or the chemicals used to make tobacco products?

Not saying tobacco isn't a health issue but like all things I don't see an issue with moderate use. Painkillers can be addictive if incorrectly used but that doesn't mean we need to ban them.

I don't agree with banning things. That may have worked to limited success in the past but with the way the world is developing today and the ease of access to information etc. bans are easy to circumvent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Untouchables, busting into people's houses and smashing up the Rizla rolling-machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"It will give the companies time to re-tool the machines to make something else.

give the addicts due notice, if you're still alive in ten to 15 years, you won't be able to get cigarettes legally."
    Dunno why they give these companies years to retool, and years of notice for users. Drugs like mdma & mushrooms were banned with little or no warning. Why no concern for their users and manufacturers/growers? Oh right because the lawmakers wee mammys & the local garda & priest didn't abuse those 'bad' drugs. They abused drugs which are considered by the medical community to be far more dangerous.
    Research published in the medical journal The Lancet rates the most dangerous drugs (starting with the worst) as follows:
    1. Heroin
    2. Cocaine
    3. Barbiturates
    4. Street methadone
    5. Alcohol
    6. Ketamine
    7. Benzodiazepines
    8. Amphetamine
    9. Tobacco
    10. Buprenorphine
    11. Cannabis
    12. Solvents
    13. 4-MTA
    14. LSD
    15. Methylphenidate
    16. Anabolic steroids
    17. GHB
    18. Ecstasy
    19. Alkyl nitrates
    20. Khat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Ex smoker here, what a load of balls.

rubadub wrote: »
    Dunno why they give these companies years to retool, and years of notice for users. Drugs like mdma & mushrooms were banned with little or no warning. Why no concern for their users and manufacturers/growers? Oh right because the lawmakers wee mammys & the local garda & priest didn't abuse those 'bad' drugs. They abused drugs which are considered by the medical community to be far more dangerous.

1. Heroin
    2. Cocaine
    3. Barbiturates
    4. Street methadone
    5. Alcohol
    6. Ketamine
    7. Benzodiazepines
    8. Amphetamine
    9. Tobacco
    10. Buprenorphine
    11. Cannabis
    12. Solvents
    13. 4-MTA
    14. LSD
    15. Methylphenidate
    16. Anabolic steroids
    17. GHB
    18. Ecstasy
    19. Alkyl nitrates
    20. Khat

Fixed your List :

1. Crack Cocaine
    2. Crystal Meth
    3. Heroin
    4. Cocaine
    5. Barbiturates
    6. Street methadone
    7. Solvents
    8. Alcohol
    9. Ketamine
    10. Benzodiazepines
    11. Amphetamine
    12. Tobacco
    13. Buprenorphine
    14. 4-MTA
    15. LSD
    16. Methylphenidate
    17. Anabolic steroids
    18. GHB
    19. Alkyl nitrates
    20. Khat
    21. Ecstasy
    22. Cannabis

XTC is actually one of the safest illegal drugs out there, very few deaths caused by XTC
    It was originally designed by an old couple in their home for weight loss, I still have the old picture of them which is cool as they are old ass and have a lab in their kitchen.

I'll see if I can dig it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Never heard of him!
    Is this mook tryna make a name for himself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Will he ban all other carcinogens?

Alcohol, unhealthy foods, exposure to UV light, pollutants - fossil fuels etc, nuclear energy - the list is endless.

Fact is most things are responsible for the production of free radicals in our cells.

Cigarettes are as avoidable as alcohol and unhealthy foods, it doesn't stop most of us overusing at least one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Fúck Senator John Crown :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i'd like to see nicotine made illegal and still sell cigs, or at least try reduce the amount of nicotine in cigs over a few years to wean the nation off them.

i smoke btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Fixed your List :

1. Crack Cocaine
    2. Crystal Meth
    3. Heroin
    4. Cocaine
    5. Barbiturates
    6. Street methadone
    7. Solvents
    8. Alcohol
    9. Ketamine
    10. Benzodiazepines
    11. Amphetamine
    12. Tobacco
    13. Buprenorphine
    14. 4-MTA
    15. LSD
    16. Methylphenidate
    17. Anabolic steroids
    18. GHB
    19. Alkyl nitrates
    20. Khat
    21. Ecstasy
    22. Cannabis

XTC is actually one of the safest illegal drugs out there, very few deaths caused by XTC
    It was originally designed by an old couple in their home for weight loss, I still have the old picture of them which is cool as they are old ass and have a lab in their kitchen.

I'll see if I can dig it out.

LSD is not a dangerous Drug.

LSD is not a dangerous Drug.

agreed, methadone can be very bad though, the methadone that the legal high shops sold, a few ppl ended up in the mental hospital as a result of methadone.

rubadub wrote: »
    Dunno why they give these companies years to retool, and years of notice for users. Drugs like mdma & mushrooms were banned with little or no warning. Why no concern for their users and manufacturers/growers?

Because at the time there weren't massive industries surrounding their production, sale etc. He explains it pretty well. Just backs-up the notion that money is the motivation though.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    i actually think it's a good idea. Smoking weed and drinking can be in someway enjoyable when done in moderation
    Ok, so you are a weed advocate. Lots of things I can bring to the table seeing as you mentioned that. Well, ok, first of all, generally people who talk about how it would be wise to legalize weed would point to cigarettes and alcohol with a "Look, its taxed and regulated, do that with weed." You seem to take a dim view to this. Perhaps it is because you find it easy to obtain weed even though it is illegal? Well, assuming that, do you suppose that somehow, with making cigarettes illegal they'd be hard to obtain?

Please, tell me what good making cigs illegal will do. I'm really curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Looks like someone felt they needed a bit of publicity, sad fcuk. Such a ban will happen about the same time as heroin is made freely available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Odysseus wrote: »
    Looks like someone felt they needed a bit of publicity, sad fcuk. Such a ban will happen about the same time as heroin is made freely available.

If he's spent his working life as a Professor of Oncology (Cancer Treatment) and consultant doctor in St Vincent's, and he puts in the time as a senator while donating the senator's pay to cancer research then its fair to say that he just has really strong views on the subject.
    Will he ban all other carcinogens?
    If he has to deal with the patients at the end of their lives as a doctor, then he probably would push for them to be moderated as any decent GP should give a bollicking to a patient that's worsening their life simply out of old habits or laziness.

Factories and jobs did leave Ireland for eastern europe (with a quiet legacy of cancer clusters) when we started to introduce air monitoring.

He's a senator. He can't ban anything. But he can raise the discussion.
    E.g. would the end result be good or bad if adults were limited (by making purchasing into a timeconsuming PITA) to 10 cigs a day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Odysseus wrote: »

:confused:
    He's an oncolgist who sees first hand the lethal consequences of this over the counter product. He's also a former smoker himself. He's been harping on about it for years.

How is it I can't see what ingredients are in a pack of cigarettes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement