Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a shipping container?

• 28-06-2012 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

At home we have a shipping container as a storage shed for tools, lawnmower and the likes and I was just wondering what i could do about making it blend in a bit more and what type of paint I should use to prevent any more rust from eating away at it. The rust isnt major on it atm but very unsightly when i look out the window!
    Any tips about preping it for painting it and making sure the paint lasts a few years would be much appreciated! Thanks

Ps: The pic shows the angle that I see when I look out at it so these are the only two sides that i'm worrying about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

Remove all rust and dirt. Use a wire brush to scrub away rust and powerhose away any dirt. Bleach will remove any mould.

Prime the surface with an oil-based or latex anti-corrosive primer. allow the primer to dry thoroughly for at least 24 hours. Primer is typically heavy and just because its not tacky or sticky it doesnt mean its dry so give it plenty of time

I'd use a flat metal paint, stay away from any variation of gloss. Use good brushes for the paint too. Metal paint is thick though so you'll probably use quite alot buy two coats are best for a long-lasting paint job on metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 Apelles

synoxide.jpg

Advertisement