Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC EPC3925 "Bridging" Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

duckndive wrote: »
    ED E wrote: »
    Are you trying to DHCP your external?

Hi Ed,

Thank you very much for your reply.

When you say am I trying to DHCP my external, I am trying to use my Netgear as a DHCP server, even though most of the time I use static IPs on any connected networked devices. The static IPs are UPCs IP and Gateway, inclusive of theirs DNS servers. My DHCP range is within the Netgear address range of 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.100, (I can change that if required?).

My LAN I.P. on the Netgear router is 192.168.2.1 which is in a different subnet when compared with the Cisco 192.168.1.1, (as per your guide). Am I correct in using 192.168.1.2. as my DMZ host address? I am using Tomato firmware on the Netgear, but that shouldn't matter, I hope.

Or am I missing something that is really simple, as that would usually be the case :)
    You seem to be right on they money. Your lan ip is .2.1 but is the external also set to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Really? I just bought one earlier... all of the reviews and articles on it raved about it.

It appears to be taking a hammering on Amazon both US and UK.
    Source? Its total bs from my experience.

Here

It appeared to be a firmware issue but now people are reporting the issue on V1.0.0.38.

Where have you guys bought yours? Perhaps it's a faulty batch?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

Hi guys,

I have a gift card for PC World..which of these should I get to replace the UPC one?

Gx

It appears to be taking a hammering on Amazon both US and UK.

Here

It appeared to be a firmware issue but now people are reporting the issue on V1.0.0.38.

Where have you guys bought yours? Perhaps it's a faulty batch?

That looks like idiots buying a prosumer gear and not having a clue how to configure it. I have had 0 problems with this box. Zero. It works like a dream. So I dont see it.

When I got it there was a FW update available, a month or so later another, then a language patch, and today:
    th_NETGEARRouterWNDR3800.png
    They've kept on top of it with updates so I'm very pleased.

If you look at the reviews its very much weighted to 5s and 1s. This says to me, know what you're at a bit and its great, clueless muppet not so much. Also, if the FW were to suck, get tomato. Simples.

Griffinx wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a gift card for PC World..which of these should I get to replace the UPC one?

Gx

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/NETGEAR-WNDR3400-N600-DualBand-Wireless-Router/299870/7.11

Will serve you well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Still waiting for Komplett to ship my new router :( Ordered it last Friday!
    I do not recommend!

Grawns wrote: »
    I do not recommend!

They've been mega slow for me recently too. Gonna lose business fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Grawns wrote: »
    I do not recommend!
    Ordered my WNDR3800 from them on Tuesday, not shipped either.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

hey guys this might sound a little noobish of me and since i am not too big in this stuff i'll go ahead and ask.
    would i still need to bridge if i get the Asus RT-N56U??? <_<

All set-up and very straightforward. Great instructions! I could cry with delight and relief. Many many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭duckndive

You seem to be right on they money. Your lan ip is .2.1 but is the external also set to that?

I thought I was right on the money too, but unfortunately still a no go. I haven't had much time to play around with the settings but will try again today.

I tried numerous addresses in the WAN, (external) settings. What should they be set to Ed? i.e. should they be the DHCP UPC WAN address or as has been indicated in other posts the DMZ address?

I will try again and see how it goes, once again thank you for your replies, I will get there eventually.

EDIT:

Just got it working, factory reset both routers and it finally worked. Thanks again for the assistance and guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭duckndive

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    hey guys this might sound a little noobish of me and since i am not too big in this stuff i'll go ahead and ask.

You still need to use the DMZ solution, as bridging is disabled/omitted from the UPC combi GUI since they played with the last firmware update.

bloodyhawk wrote: »

TBH, if you have to ask that, thats probably way too much for your needs and a waste of cash. And no matter what you buy, you'll still need to follow this guide(or just use this method). Remember router > cable/DSL modem + router combo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

The OP's instructions worked great for me. THANKS ED E! This makes a significant difference to the speed of broadband here.

Some people mentioned having difficulty with NAT (to allow them to access their home computer / NAS from the internet etc). I didn't experience any issues here. I just entered a port forward in the new router (the one in the DMZ - a WNDR3800 in the case of the OP) and it worked fine.

One issue I'm having with setup on my WNDR3800 is that it is currently not broadcasting on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signal using the same SSID and allowing the devices to automatically connect. Other than that the guide is perfect.

One issue I'm having with setup on my WNDR3800 is that it is currently not broadcasting on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signal using the same SSID and allowing the devices to automatically connect. Other than that the guide is perfect.

Are you trying to use both on the same SSID and key so that they can use either as available? Thats how a WDS works but I dont know if its possible with dual band. I've been only using the 5GHz with a few devices, most of our traffic is through the two old APs so its not been a big factor.

Are you trying to use both on the same SSID and key so that they can use either as available? Thats how a WDS works but I dont know if its possible with dual band. I've been only using the 5GHz with a few devices, most of our traffic is through the two old APs so its not been a big factor.
    For some reason when I was setting it up yesterday, it wouldn't let me do that. Just tried it there this morning and it worked fine. Thanks.
    By default the SSIDs were something like NETGEAR-2.4G and NETGEAR-5G. I could change 2.4 but not 5. Fixed now, thanks... will let you know how I get on but so far it seems much faster on wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Quick question, have UPC 100mb being installed today, have been sent the Cisco 3925, not happy with all the problems reported here. It's being installed in the kitchen , will have 6 devices upstairs connected wirelessly . Am I going to run into weak signal and connection dropping non stop?

If so can someone recommend a router I can purchase myself to avoid these issues, I don't have much to spend and I'm not looking to power the whole neighbourhood lol!

Any help with some links be useful, amazon Argos maplin etc .

Thanks

Update - got my old wrt54gs set up as an ap connected with wd live wire network kit. Now have total coverage in 400 sq metre Georgian house over 4 floors. Happy days :D

Ps. Wd live wire network kit originally purchased to stream movies as epc3925 couldn't even handle that.

Thanks again ed e! I spent months trying to get the epc3925 to work. Needed the phone lines as wired into a switch system (€€) so until you came up with your guide I was totally screwed.

Glad I could help.

When I get a chance I'll make a more concise version so its easier for people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I have found a way to put the EPC3925 in true Bridge mode, none of that double NAT'ing. This will enable you to use a cable router with the EPC3925 to handle your connected devices exclusively and if the cable router you have has an option to set its MAC address, you can get a brand-new IP after the settings apply and the router resets just like with the old Scientific Atlanta DOCSIS 2.0 standalone modems that UPC used to supply.

I've written up a guide on how to make this happen, it's actually quite easy and you do not need to do anything intimidating to achieve it. Just note that if you're a UPC Phone customer, your phone will cease to work while the EPC3925 is in Bridge mode (a known drawback and this is possibly the reason why the option was removed in the first place). You can of course switch it back to Router mode just as easily as you Bridged it (and all your old custom settings will be retained), or do a hard-reset (but you will lose your settings).

There's absolutely nothing dangerous about giving it a go, there's no firmware flashing, nothing that can brick the device. If you're not happy, Lever Brothers will give you your money back! Or, in other words, you can switch back to Router mode just as quickly.

Just remember, if you're a UPC Phone customer, the chances of your phone functioning while the EPC3925 is in Bridge mode is very slim to none. By all means, give it a whirl to see if it does work and go back to Router mode if it doesn't. Anyone who either doesn't care about their phone service or is not subscribed in the first place, this is really for you.

In the meantime, here's some screen-shots to offer proof that I'm not talking out of my ass and give you an idea of how it's done. If you're iterested, head over to my guide.

epc3925bridge1.th.pngepc3925bridge2.th.pngepc3925bridge3.th.png
    epc3925bridge4.th.pngepc3925bridge5.th.pngepc3925bridge6.th.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Nice guide Ed ;)

Two questions before I do this,

I currently have 2 desktops with static IP's on my internal network with ports forwarded for some applications such as Droopy.

(1) When this is done will I need to forward the said ports again on the new router?

(2) Once the new router is connected to the EPC will the default gateway still be 192.168.1.1? or will it now be 192.168.2.1 as per your screen shot from your WNDR3800

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Nice guide Ed ;)

Two questions before I do this,

I currently have 2 desktops with static IP's on my internal network with ports forwarded for some applications such as Droopy.

(1) When this is done will I need to forward the said ports again on the new router?

(2) Once the new router is connected to the EPC will the default gateway still be 192.168.1.1? or will it now be 192.168.2.1 as per your screen shot from your WNDR3800

I'll explain it both in one, as far as you're devices are concerned, everything after the WNDR is "the internet", your lan goes there but no further, so yes the gateway is 2.1 and the port forwards have to be there. I havent actually had to run any port forwards though, XBL, bittorrent etc passthrough by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭thegift06

sorry if this is a stupid question but I have a EPC3925 with 30mb broadband. I struggle to get signal when I go upstairs as all of my walls are solid. I have 2 of these modems from being a previous customer with perlico. My question is can i use one of these to improve my wifi signal and if so will the speed be effected (as the old router mite limit it, or is that even possible) or do I need to go out and buy a brand new router?

Cheers. I tried to follow the guide but got stuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

thegift06 wrote: »
    sorry if this is a stupid question but I have a EPC3925 with 30mb broadband. I struggle to get signal when I go upstairs as all of my walls are solid. I have 2 of these modems from being a previous customer with perlico. My question is can i use one of these to improve my wifi signal and if so will the speed be effected (as the old router mite limit it, or is that even possible) or do I need to go out and buy a brand new router?

Cheers. I tried to follow the guide but got stuck

ok heres what you do.
    When plugged into the EPC open a command prompt and type in ipconfig.
    The default gateway address is the address of your UPC router (e'g 192.168.0.1)

Plug your pc into the perlico router/modem.
    under the settings for LAN look for DHCP and disable it.
    Look for somewhere to change the perilco routers IP address.

Change it to something like 192.168.0.50 (if your UPC router gateway is 192.168.0.1 , If it is something different then just use the first 3 numbers and change the last one)

Setup the wifi on the perlico router Give the SSID a name you reconise.
    Plug back into the EPC router , disable its wireless under the settings page.
    Link the two routers with a lan cable , LAN port to LAN port.

Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭thegift06

ok heres what you do.
    When plugged into the EPC open a command prompt and type in ipconfig.
    The default gateway address is the address of your UPC router (e'g 192.168.0.1)

Plug your pc into the perlico router/modem.
    under the settings for LAN look for DHCP and disable it.
    Look for somewhere to change the perilco routers IP address.

Change it to something like 192.168.0.50 (if your UPC router gateway is 192.168.0.1 , If it is something different then just use the first 3 numbers and change the last one)

Setup the wifi on the perlico router Give the SSID a name you reconise.
    Plug back into the EPC router , disable its wireless under the settings page.
    Link the two routers with a lan cable , LAN port to LAN port.

Let us know how you get on

worked perfect and increased my reception significantly. Thanks again

ED E's guide looks as straight forward as can be yet when I followed it I have no Internet!

Maybe I'm missing something silly here so hopefully one of you can spot where the issue is?

This is what I done:

On the EPC end

1) Connected via cable to the EPC
    2) Disable Wireless
    3) Enabled DMZ & configured DMZ Host to 192.168.1.2
    4) Disabled DCHP
    5) Saved settings

Disconnected Rj45 from EPC

On the Netgear end

1) Connected via cable
    2) Configured my wireless
    3) Went to the LAN section and changed the IP address to 192.168.2.1
    4) Saved settings

Disconnected RJ45 from Netgear

Connected RJ45 from one of the ports on the EPC to the WAN port on the Netgear

Connected RJ45 from PC to one of the four ports on the Netgear.

Restarted everything and no Internet.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

4) Disabled DCHP
    You must use set a static IP in the Netgear's "Basic Settings" (or similar) as the EPC3925 will no longer assign IPs with the local DHCP server disabled. It's just like setting a static IP in Windows or in OS X.

IP: 192.168.1.2 (the DMZ'd IP you set in the EPC3925 - you must use whatever the DMZ'd IP is to ensure an unobstructed path to the Internet)
    IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP Address: 192.168.1.1 (the EPC3925's IP)

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1 (it'll get the real DNSs from the EPC3925)
    Secondary DNS: Leave Blank

DECEiFER wrote: »
    You must use set a static IP in the Netgear's "Basic Settings" (or similar) as the EPC3925 will no longer assign IPs with the local DHCP server disabled. It's just like setting a static IP in Windows or in OS X.

IP: 192.168.1.2 (the DMZ'd IP you set in the EPC3925 - you must use whatever the DMZ'd IP is to ensure an unobstructed path to the Internet)
    IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP Address: 192.168.1.1 (the EPC3925's IP)

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1 (it'll get the real DNSs from the EPC3925)
    Secondary DNS: Leave Blank

I've just done what you suggested DECEiFER but goddamn it I still have no Internet.

NetgearRouterStaticSettings.jpg

I have to factory reset the EPC each time too in order to be able to post back here :D

• Advertisement

I've just done what you suggested DECEiFER but goddamn it I still have no Internet.

NetgearRouterStaticSettings.jpg

I have to factory reset the EPC each time too in order to be able to post back here :D
    Okay, so what could be missing...

Does it work if you're connected to the Netgear via Ethernet? I just think eliminating the possibility of WiFi issues first is a good idea.

Can you access the Netgear at 192.168.2.1 after all the changes are made? Can you access the EPC3925 at 192.168.1.1 after the changes as-well?

EDIT: One more thing. Do you have a static IP set in your OS (Windows / Linux / OS X)? Is it identifying the network properly?

Advertisement