Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC EPC3925 "Bridging" Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Can you access the Netgear at 192.168.2.1 after all the changes are made? Can you access the EPC3925 at 192.168.1.1 after the changes as-well?

I can contact the Netgear on 192.168.2.1 after the changes.

I can not contact the EPC on 192.168.1.1 after the changes.

I do not have a static IP set in my OS at present, I have it left to default.

I will need to set a static when this is sorted as I need to open a port for a Prog I use called Droopy.

Edit:
    Does it work if you're connected to the Netgear via Ethernet? I just think eliminating the possibility of WiFi issues first is a good idea.

When all changes are made I have no Internet? I'm only testing this wired at the moment

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I can contact the Netgear on 192.168.2.1 after the changes.

I can not contact the EPC on 192.168.1.1 after the changes.

I do not have a static IP set in my OS at present, I have it left to default.

I will need to set a static when this is sorted as I need to open a port for a Prog I use called Droopy.

Edit:

When all changes are made I have no Internet? I'm only testing this wired at the moment
    That all sounds good apart from not being able to reach the EPC3925 on 192.168.1.1. Is that definitely the correct IP and subnet for the EPC3925? What seems to be the issue is something is preventing the Netgear from seeing the EPC3925 and it's not clear what that could be apart from what I've already mentioned.

EDIT: Here's what I think you should try, just a temporary thing for a test. Put the Netgear back to obtaining a dynamic IP and DNS. Then enable the DHCP server in the EPC3925. See if that gets you online (though unless the EPC3925's DHCP server assigns the router 192.168.1.2, you'll be restricted). Then you should also test your ability to connect to the EPC3925's web configuration as in the above post.

Here's what I think you should try, just a temporary thing for a test. Put the Netgear back to obtaining a dynamic IP and DNS. Then enable the DHCP server in the EPC3925. See if that gets you online (though unless the EPC3925's DHCP server assigns the router 192.168.1.2, you'll be restricted). Then you should also test your ability to connect to the EPC3925's web configuration as in the above post.

OK,

I've followed the above advice

Yes I'm back online

Yes I can contact both routers config pages.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

OK,

I've followed the above advice

Yes I'm back online

Yes I can contact both routers config pages.
    Alright. If it works with DHCP turned on, we can then assume that when DHCP is off that there could be an IP address conflict or the subnet isn't 192.168.1.x. Let's take the former first. Set the DMZ IP to 192.168.1.10 and disable DHCP again. Then set the static IP back in the Netgear only set the first field to 192.168.1.10 instead of 192.168.1.2. If this works then it must have been an IP address conflict. If not, then we're back to investigating a potential subnet issue.

Set the DMZ IP to 192.168.1.10 and disable DHCP again. Then set the static IP back in the Netgear only set the first field to 192.168.1.10 instead of 192.168.1.2. If this works then it must have been an IP address conflict. If not, then we're back to investigating a potential subnet issue.

That doesn't work either.

I'm just curious, Once DHCP is disabled on the EPC, if I open a command prompt and do an ipconfig /all it doesn't display a default gateway IP. is that because DHCP is off?

• Advertisement

That shouldn't be happening. It should show the default gateway as the Netgear. Is the Netgear's DHCP server turned on? If not, turn it on. If you don't want to turn it on, then set a static IP in your OS using the 192.168.2.x subnet and set the default gateway and primary DNS to 192.168.2.1 (leave the secondary DNS blank also). The subnet mask is again 255.255.255.0. This is what you wanted for your port forward anyways. But if you're connecting other devices, like phones, or whatever, maybe turning DHCP on in the Netgear is a good idea unless you're going to set everything to a static IP. Whatever static IP you use on your PC, make sure it's not in the Netgear's DHCP IP range to avoid conflicts.

I may have confused you a little?

DHCP is turned on on the Netgear and has been for all these tests.

My reference to ipconfig not displaying the default gateway IP was when I connect a cable directly from the PC to the EPC with DHCP turned off on the EPC. I was only being curious as to why that would be and assumed it was because DHCP was off on the EPC

My reference to ipconfig not displaying the default gateway IP was when I connect a cable directly from the PC to the EPC with DCHP turned off on the EPC. I was only being curious as to why that would be and assumed it was because DCHP was off on the EPC
    Oh, I see. That makes sense. With DHCP disabled, yeah, that would be standard. You'd have to set the IPs manually in your OS while you're directly connected to a router without DHCP enabled.

But something isn't making sense. DHCP turned on, dynamic IP in the Netgear - everything works. Static IP - not so much. So if there's no IP conflict... Connect the Ethernet cable back into the Netgear's WAN from the EPC3925. Check the routing table in the Status area of the EPC3925 with DHPC turned on and the Netgear set to dynamic. When you've found the Netgear on the table, take note of the all data and then turn DHCP off and static up the Netgear again. Check the same table and see what data it displays regarding the Netgear (if any).

EDIT: Can you show a screen-shot of the tables in both instances or paste the data in? It might help to identify the problem.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    You must use set a static IP in the Netgear's "Basic Settings" (or similar) as the EPC3925 will no longer assign IPs with the local DHCP server disabled. It's just like setting a static IP in Windows or in OS X.

IP: 192.168.1.2 (the DMZ'd IP you set in the EPC3925 - you must use whatever the DMZ'd IP is to ensure an unobstructed path to the Internet)
    IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP Address: 192.168.1.1 (the EPC3925's IP)

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1 (it'll get the real DNSs from the EPC3925)
    Secondary DNS: Leave Blank

Just something I spotted in your earlier post

Should that Subnet (in red above) not be 255.255.254.0?

Just something I spotted in your earlier post

Should that Subnet (in red above) not be 255.255.254.0?
    No. It should be 255.255.255.0. I know UPC uses 255.255.254.0 but that's because their IPs are on a Class B subnet. It wouldn't make a difference if you used .254 but there's no need for you to whatsoever as you don't need the extra hosts.

Did you try the routing table suggestion I made in the EPC?

• Advertisement

No. It should be 255.255.255.0. Did you try the routing table in the EPC?

With DHPC turned on and the Netgear set to dynamic

This is what's shown in the status area, Is this what you wanted?

Stat1.jpg

No, not quite, but close. Go to the Local Network page and hit up the ARP table.

Sorry about that ;)

arp1.jpg

Cool! The last entry, .11, is that the Netgear when the EPC's DHCP is enabled?

Can also screen-shot this table with the EPC's DHCP disabled and the Netgear set to use a static IP? (You'll have to connect your PC to one of the other LAN ports on the EPC with your OS set to use a static IP as this is the only way you'll get access.)

Cool! The last entry, .11, is that the Netgear when the EPC's DHCP is enabled?

Yes the .11 was the Netgear with the EPC's DHCP enabled.

This is the SS with EPC's DHCP disabled

:eek: I don't know what just changed but I was able to contact the EPC without moving the cable from the Netgear to one of the EPC's ports???

arpgood.jpg

I've just restarted both routers now and I have Internet & can contact both routers :confused:

The static IP in the Netgear has the .11 but I did not set that to 11?

From what I can see it's all working now?

The static IP in the Netgear has the .11 but I did not set that to 11?
    Strange. So it's statically set to .11 and the primary DNS is set to .1?

Just don't forget to DMZ .11 in the EPC. Then so long as you're still up and running, you'll be able to port forward inside the Netgear and UPnP will work in the Netgear also without any obstruction from the EPC. This is faux bridging but you may as well treat it as if the EPC isn't there or as just a modem.

Good luck with it!

I got a bit adventurous in an attempt to not confuse myself any further so I went back into the Netgear and changed the .11 back to .2 in the staic IP section, it accepted it and I rebooted both routers and all is still working.

My default Gateway is 192.168.2.1 so I'm assuming that when I set my OS static IP for Droopy it will be using 192.168.2.xxx?

You are one hell of a patient helpful person DECEiFER.

I really appreciate the time and effort you afforded me.

Thank you so much ;)

No problem man. I actually enjoy doing a bit of tech support. :)

Yup, when you set a static IP, you'll want it on the same subnet as the gateway. Spot on. Remember not to set it to an IP within the DHCP range of the Netgear so no other connected device gets assigned the same IP simultaneously. Glad it's all working now. You should get better performance now that you're not using the EPC's routing.

No problem man. I actually enjoy doing a bit of tech support. :)

Yup, when you set a static IP, you'll want it on the same subnet as the gateway. Spot on. Remember not to set it to an IP within the DHCP range of the Netgear so no other connected device gets assigned the same IP simultaneously. Glad it's all working now. You should get better performance now that you're not using the EPC's routing.

I enjoy when I can sort problems for other too, it's just nice to be on the receiving end for once and it isn't very often I come across someone as patient as yourself. It' was my lucky day ;)

Finally, just to wreck your head one more time......

When you said to basically think of the EPC as not being there or a modem only, can I take it the UPnP is now controlled by the Netgear?

Yup! Once the Netgear is in the EPC's DMZ, you'd only have to deal with ports via the Netgear. Without DMZ, UPnP would be useless and you'd have to manually forward each port in both devices for traffic to pass through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 BernardDub

Hi,

I am considering moving to UPC for the bundle, including 50M Broadband. Currently on Vodafone with a TP Link Wireless n Modem Router, which covers my three floor old house reasonably OK. I am concerned that the Cisco router will not cover the same area, as I have neighbours who have this problem with the Cisco router. I checked today and UPC say they will only supply the EPC 3925 and nothing else.

So, my question is, how easy/complex is it to use the Cisco as the modem part and then connect my current wireless router to give me wireless access throughout the house or is there a better solution, other than waiting for UPC to run out of EPC devices and they start providing decent ones. I will be running a desktop, two laptops and the odd visiting phone off the wireless router. I am reasonably tech knowledgeable but subnet masks etc. is something I hear about would would not understand in technical detail.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

BernardDub wrote: »
    Hi,

I am considering moving to UPC for the bundle, including 50M Broadband. Currently on Vodafone with a TP Link Wireless n Modem Router, which covers my three floor old house reasonably OK. I am concerned that the Cisco router will not cover the same area, as I have neighbours who have this problem with the Cisco router. I checked today and UPC say they will only supply the EPC 3925 and nothing else.

So, my question is, how easy/complex is it to use the Cisco as the modem part and then connect my current wireless router to give me wireless access throughout the house or is there a better solution, other than waiting for UPC to run out of EPC devices and they start providing decent ones. I will be running a desktop, two laptops and the odd visiting phone off the wireless router. I am reasonably tech knowledgeable but subnet masks etc. is something I hear about would would not understand in technical detail.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Disable the wireless on the EPC

Disable DHCP on your TP link router and setup its wifi as you normally would , Connect one of the LAN ports on the EPC to one of the LAN ports on your Tp link...your done.

Your EPC wil handle all the DHPC (ip addresses) and routing, And the tp link will handle your wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BernardDub

Thank you demanufactured. I think I will take the plunge and give UPC a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wishbone

I have just switched from Vodafone to UPC and have connected my LinksysWRT54G which I was using as my wireless router with Vodafone to my EPC3925, no problems. I didn't have to edit the html code, the option to switch from Router mode to Bridge mode was there.

The reason I moved from the EPC3925 to WRT54G was that whilst working from home my signal dropped almost completely and I had to disconnect from wireless and reconnect and all was fine again.

Now the question is, was it a good move or not?
    I enabled wireless on both modems.
    I went onto speeedtest.net and carried out two tests, one when connected to EPC and one when on WRT and the results for WRT were poorer.

Linksys Modem - 11/16/2012 12:15 PM GMT x.x.x.x. 9.47 Mb/s 5.27 Mb/s 16 ms Dundalk
    UPC Modem - 11/16/2012 12:14 PM GMT x.x.x.x 35.64 Mb/s 5.31 Mb/s 16 ms Dundalk

Does that mean it was a bad move - or is the UPC modem prone to dropping connections so I would be better to stay with Linksys?

Is it a real security risk to enable the wireless on the two modems?

Thanks!
    Wishbone

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is the faux bridge thread, you want to use the other one for true bridge.

ED E wrote: »
    This is the faux bridge thread, you want to use the other one for true bridge.

Sure no problem - which thread is that? My question isn't so much about the configuration of the modem but as to whether moving from the UPC modem to my Linksys was a good thing or not.
    W.

This: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056758726

Just had a look at that router. There are a million variants, but they're all old, and few/none appear to be N capable. b/g do 54Mps at 10cm in a vacuum surrounded by an interference shield. In real life, you get up to about 30Mbps. So N is what you want. Either just keep the EPC standalone or go and get something a little more modern to bridge to.

Hi there, yes you're right it does not support N, it's only B and G. I bought it about 7 years ago at least... That said the signal strength throughout the house does seem to be better with it than with the EPC modem so I'll leave it as is. In the end I disabled wireless on EPC as there did appear to be conflicts with the two modems broadcasting wireless at the same time and I preferred the parental control on the Linksys.

I use broadband primarily for work which involves telnets to Linux boxes so speed isn't vital, just ability/reliability to connect.
    Tx again. :)

Somebody actually still uses telnet? Who knew.

Glad I could help.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Somebody actually still uses telnet? Who knew.

Glad I could help.

:D:D - ssh of course...

Advertisement