Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June Flooding in Cork

Options
  • 28-06-2012 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭

Apparently Tesco in Douglas is under 7 feet of water, Douglas Village under 1 foot. Tesco being lower than the surrounding area seems to have saved the local residents somewhat. Anyone know of any other damage in the city and surrounding areas?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What?? I'm in Douglas. We have no power. Can hear quite a few alarms in the background. Must go investigating when it's bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I was out with the aul fella in the van earlier around 2.30am. (sorry about picture quality)
    1-Togher
    2-Outside eddie rockets at the kinsale roundabout
    3-Togher
    4-Sarsfield roundabout
    5-Greenwood togher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Bloody hell that was some storm! Quays are all flooded in the city centre, very heavy surface water everywhere really. Power was dipping in and out for a while after the thunderstorm, but ok now. Summer in Ireland eh?!

More of the same forecast aswell according to met eireann!

"Continuing warm and humid tonight and Thursday morning with further spells of heavy rain in many areas, thunderstorm activity and hail all leading to some flooding.
    Temperatures not falling below 13 to 16 degrees."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I was out with the aul fella in the van earlier around 2.30am. (sorry about picture quality)

Yikes, I was on the south link an hour previous to that. You don't expect that there! Any chance you could add the location of the other photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Bloody hell that was some storm! Quays are all flooded in the city centre, very heavy surface water everywhere really. Power was dipping in and out for a while after the thunderstorm, but ok now. Summer in Ireland eh?!
    How bad on Washington Street actually? I was only talking to my brother yesterday how he should put some sort of flood protection on his ground floor property, but he was pretty confident that it would never flood.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    How bad on Washington Street actually? I was only talking to my brother yesterday how he should put some sort of flood protection on his ground floor property, but he was pretty confident that it would never flood.

Washington street was actually clear i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Douglas flooded still. Half way up bus shelters outside the topaz. Outside st Patrick's mills also. South ring passable but going to be a mess soon with flooded lanes and the lights are out on bandon roundabout.
    Sarsfield Road closed obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

McDonnalds car park is under a bit of water still

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Flooding by tescos seems to be nearly gone but front village from Barry to m&s under a lot still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

1-Togher
    2-Outside eddie rockets at the kinsale roundabout
    3-Togher
    4-Sarsfield roundabout
    5-Greenwood togher

Thanks for the pics - I'd say they'd like these over on the weather forum;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

The city centre seems to have escaped this morning. Glanmire, Douglas and Clon seem the worst affected.

this was on twitter - it's in Riverstown near Glanmire!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Great photos and videos guys, well done for posting.

deRanged wrote: »
    The city centre seems to have escaped this morning. Glanmire, Douglas and Clon seem the worst affected.

**** it that looks like near where my brother lives!!!:(:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Its bad!

i hope the damage inside the center isn't as bad!

they had just got the place up and running, with the new Euro Giant store, the play area, and M&S it was just starting to get busy in there! :(

i can't believe after Tescos Douglas flooded 2 years ago that they didn't invest in flood protection! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OK in Ballyvolane, but Blackpool's flooded I think...

That was some storm last night. I've never seen anything like it. Just hope this isn't 2009/2010 again when we had no bloody water for two weeks!! :eek:

Did anybody actually hear the rain and thunder during the night cos I slept through the whole thing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

leahyl wrote: »
    Did anybody actually hear the rain and thunder during the night cos I slept through the whole thing!!

Yup, was watching from window what was going on and heard thunder too. Some mad rain and wind.

When i came to work through city centre didnt see any sign of flood anywhere there. But the water flowing in the river was crazy muddy crap.

And they say theres more to come...oups, i didnt take my umbrella to work with me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh yes!! Because I certainly couldn't. Bloody tired and didn't sleep at all well.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

I stayed up til nearly half 3 watching it. Great show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Nope...slept through the whole thing.

I stayed up til nearly half 3 watching it. Great show.

:( Can't believe I missed it

kart wrote: »
    When i came to work through city centre didnt see any sign of flood anywhere there. But the water flowing in the river was crazy muddy crap.

Yeah same here - the river was like a dirty chocolate colour!

Ludo wrote: »
    Nope...slept through the whole thing.
    :( Can't believe I missed it

I slept through it too :o

According to 96fm news

post in city center and southside is delayed because they can't get access to the sorting office in togher.

i really hope we don't see businesses closing for good due to the flooding, it had to be tough enough for them to keep going as was. :(

From Facebook:
    Douglas Court Shopping Centre
    Just to let everyone know that we are fully open for business! despite the floods around Douglas!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dextero

does anyone know if the schools in douglas are open, I couldnt get near the gaelscoil this morning

Were they in the middle of renovations in KC's? I would imagine that that's destroyed also if Barry's is:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

deRanged wrote: »

Living up it Riverstown name then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I'm in Glanmire (near the top of Barnavara Hill, luckily) and I was awake at about half 2 this morning seeing a river run past the house, obviously on it's way down to flood the unlucky feckers in Riverstown. Lots of lightning and thunder too. I don't recall this kind of weather being forecast yesterday? Some unreal photos on twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/search/corkfloods/grid/photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Yeah same here - the river was like a dirty chocolate colour!

big tree branches and stuff in it too.

7459441668_f24b012198_z.jpg
    The Lee is brown this morning by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

Advertisement