Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June Flooding in Cork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

deRanged wrote: »
    big tree branches and stuff in it too.

7459441668_f24b012198_z.jpg
    The Lee is brown this morning by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

looks like angel delight

chocolate flavour like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Its bad!

i hope the damage inside the center isn't as bad!

they had just got the place up and running, with the new Euro Giant store, the play area, and M&S it was just starting to get busy in there! :(

i can't believe after Tescos Douglas flooded 2 years ago that they didn't invest in flood protection! :confused:

I still can't belive they totally covered over that river that time they were updating the entire shopping centre - I thought it was a dodgy thing to do at the time, this is the second time its bitten them in the ass now. Its not too far of a stretch to think that maybe this contributed to some of the other flooding in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

leahyl wrote: »
    Were they in the middle of renovations in KC's? I would imagine that that's destroyed also if Barry's is:(

I'd say KC's is destroyed but Barry's should be fine. The water just stopped there. This is a pic from about 8am from there this morning, it is possible that barrys got destroyed earlier and the water had went down but hopefully not.

394636_478179412207503_330974809_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm in Glanmire (near the top of Barnavara Hill, luckily) and I was awake at about half 2 this morning seeing a river run past the house, obviously on it's way down to flood the unlucky feckers in Riverstown. Lots of lightning and thunder too. I don't recall this kind of weather being forecast yesterday? Some unreal photos on twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/search/corkfloods/grid/photos

Just checked them out on Twitter. Amazing pix!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

AwdukUlCIAABcTV.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

stdidit wrote: »
    I'd say KC's is destroyed but Barry's should be fine. The water just stopped there. This is a pic from about 8am from there this morning, it is possible that barrys got destroyed earlier and the water had went down but hopefully not.

394636_478179412207503_330974809_n.jpg

Barry's destroyed too, the owner Peter Collins was on the radio this morning devestated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

My best friends family flower shop/cafe in Blackpool destroyed too. Trying to assess what they can salvage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

katieboo wrote: »
    Barry's destroyed too, the owner Peter Collins was on the radio this morning devestated.

Geez, thats annoying. Hope most of these places were insured against water damage, at the very least.

stdidit wrote: »
    Geez, thats annoying. Hope most of these places were insured against water damage, at the very least.

They probably had their flood insurance pulled after the last time the place flooded a year or two ago!
    Hope I am wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I really hope no animals were left on the floor last night in either of the 2 pet shops in the Douglas Village Shopping Centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

murphym7 wrote: »
    I still can't belive they totally covered over that river that time they were updating the entire shopping centre - I thought it was a dodgy thing to do at the time, this is the second time its bitten them in the ass now. Its not too far of a stretch to think that maybe this contributed to some of the other flooding in the village.

There was a guy on from the council saying that they had cleared the culverts under the carpark yesterday in anticipation of the flood. That would have made feckall difference tbh. The capacity of them is only so much. Add to that the fact that they are tidal and will fill up on a high tide (which was around 12 last night i think) and the water coming downstream from the tramore river has no where to go but over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

SeaFields wrote: »
    There was a guy on from the council saying that they had cleared the culverts under the carpark yesterday in anticipation of the flood. That would have made feckall difference tbh. The capacity of them is only so much. Add to that the fact that they are tidal and will fill up on a high tide (which was around 12 last night i think) and the water coming downstream from the tramore river has no where to go but over the top.

You gotta love the pathetic self-praising exercise by the Cork County Council. Total fools. Again local businesses will suffer financially from all of this while the dopes in County Hall continue to demand revenue via extortionate rates.

You gotta love the pathetic self-praising exercise by the Cork County Council. Total fools. Again local businesses will suffer financially from all of this while the dopes in County Hall continue to demand revenue via extortionate rates.

Apparently someone in the Dail just said that the situation was exasperated by rain :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

:( Can't believe I missed it

Neither can I, and I was watching the system roll in, figured it would miss and went to bed, seeing the vids, I can't believe I slept through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

:eek:

Poor f*ckers affected by this, flooding in June who would have thought

So when will the sales start for the flood damaged stock :p too soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :eek:

Poor f*ckers affected by this, flooding in June who would have thought

Because of sewerage and toilet water being mixed in with it I can't see damaged stock being sold,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Lightning hit our house last night and the power went and then came back on then our house alarm started going off,our phone line was damaged,so if you plug out the internet the phone works but the internet doesn't and vice versa,Hope there's not more of this type of weather forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I painted 2 coats weathershield on all my sills yesterday and the whole lot was washed off by this morning. It was touch dry and all yesterday evening. I was like the Bull McCabe shouting at the water at 2am watching milky white water destroy my footpaths. Feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Were they in the middle of renovations in KC's? I would imagine that that's destroyed also if Barry's is:(

Feic sake and I was looking forward to chips tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'm due to go camping in West Cork starting tomorrow. Last night I snuggled down in my bed in Glanmire and was thankful I wasn't in a tent yet. Then I went to sleep...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

swingking wrote: »
    Feic sake and I was looking forward to chips tonight :(

Chips might be a little damp.
    391410_487525921274276_1493809313_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

gubbie wrote: »
    I really hope no animals were left on the floor last night in either of the 2 pet shops in the Douglas Village Shopping Centre

Both shops completely flooded to chest height, I'm told it's not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

evilivor wrote: »
    Chips might be a little damp.

their awards weren't washed away so they are still good! :pac:

TheChizler wrote: »
    Both shops completely flooded to chest height, I'm told it's not good.

Oh no! The poor rabbits and birds :( the fish are ok right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Anyone know if Tesco are open?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Oh no! The poor rabbits and birds :( the fish are ok right?

With all the sewage mixed into that water? I'd say absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

http://corkindependent.com/stories/item/10168/2012-27/Can-you-help

Looking for volunteers to help.

This one struck me in particular:

Glansillagh Animal Rescue in Glanmire need help rehoming animals due to flood damage - phone them on 021-4821635

I wish I could help out but am heading off for a month tomorrow and I don't think my dog sitter would be impressed if I landed him with more dogs :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Centre of Blackpoool village also seriously damaged. Shops, houses, church all extensively damaged. Not the first time this part of the city has suffered significant flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

You wouldn't want it,
    I'd a look at 'mildly' flood damaged sale stock a few years ago and most of it was worthless even after drying out for a few weeks
    Doors, furniture and a half pallet of flooring which had been through about 1ft of water

Anything that's been made from MDF turns to mush, the cheap hollow doors were covered in mold
    And even moisture resistant tile effect laminate flooring were seperating and smelling like a sewer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

gubbie wrote: »

Heard that there was a chicken coup in Glanmire just washed away in the animal home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just rang Bank of Ireland in Glanmire and their voicemail says that they are closed until further notice due to flooding - was the crestfield flooded also??

Advertisement