Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June Flooding in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Jesus...

Have a few friends living by the college this summer, anyone know what its like up there? They're up on college road, but I presume that area is fine... Is victoria cross wrecked again?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jesus...

Have a few friends living by the college this summer, anyone know what its like up there? They're up on college road, but I presume that area is fine... Is victoria cross wrecked again?

I'm working on College Road and its fine - all of the City Centre is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Was told 7 horses had to be rescued, they were nearly washed away but were rescued at the last minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

hoodwinked wrote: »

Oh no! The poor rabbits and birds :( the fish are ok right?

The fish sould be fine. They're proving difficult to find, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ludo wrote: »
    Apparently someone in the Dail just said that the situation was exasperated by rain :eek:

Really? I wonder how long it took them to suss THAT out? :rolleyes: I do so hope it wasn't Dara...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Just had a walk around Douglas Village there. The place is destroyed, I don;t thin we'll see the following open for a while, M&S, Topaz, XtraVision, Opticians, Crmin Dry cleaners, KCs, BoyleSports, Bullys De Barbers, Driscsolls, Cashmans, Barrys Ulster bank, Bank of Ireland.
    The water is mostly gone but the place is covered in smelly brown mud. There are trucks & skips taking carpet & furniture out of all the places above.

Johno's & South County look like they escaped but the places across the road looked to be hit a bit. The Area around Tescos & all the shops there were destroyed.

East Village, Amicus, El Vino, etc. are all OK, McDonalds just has a load of mud in the car park.

I genuinely feel sorry for all of the businesses that got hit. No doubt in my mind that the new Douglas Village shopping centre is the cause of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

Sarsfield Roundabout!

picture.php?albumid=1661&pictureid=13275
    picture.php?albumid=1661&pictureid=13276
    picture.php?albumid=1661&pictureid=13277
    picture.php?albumid=1661&pictureid=13274

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Those poor animals. What a horrible way to die.
    I genuinely feel sorry for all of the businesses that got hit. No doubt in my mind that the new Douglas Village shopping centre is the cause of all this.

You shouldn't mess with nature. (Though it's more the engineers fault)

large.jpg

KC's lost all food, freezers and equipment so it'll be a while I'd say til we're getting creoles again

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

Just had a walk around Douglas Village there. The place is destroyed, I don;t thin we'll see the following open for a while, M&S, Topaz, XtraVision, Opticians, Crmin Dry cleaners, KCs, BoyleSports, Bullys De Barbers, Driscsolls, Cashmans, Barrys Ulster bank, Bank of Ireland.
    The water is mostly gone but the place is covered in smelly brown mud. There are trucks & skips taking carpet & furniture out of all the places above.

Johno's & South County look like they escaped but the places across the road looked to be hit a bit. The Area around Tescos & all the shops there were destroyed.

East Village, Amicus, El Vino, etc. are all OK, McDonalds just has a load of mud in the car park.

Douglas village shopping centre to blame?? some clowns on this,
    The centre its workers and tenants have lost more than anything and are working hard trting to fix thier livelyhoods!...some power from douglas village shopping centre...to make floods hit glanmire!!1:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

2mature wrote: »
    The centre its workers and tenants have lost more than anything and are working hard trting to fix thier livelyhoods!...some power from douglas village shopping centre...to make floods hit glanmire!!1:mad:

the tenants didn't build the center, and im sure the people of douglas will make a point of supporting them once they re-open its that kind of place.

the point is being made, Blackpool residents said its their 4th flood in 10 years, clon is known to flood, glanmire (im not 100% sure on this one) but i think it has been known to flood before with that river,

but Douglas has only started flooding like this since the new center was built, it happened 2 years ago, and again this morning,

before that you'd have to go back decades to find an odd corner only flooded as that particular drain was blocked,

this flooding in Douglas has coincidentally started since the building of that center on the river and the removal of the areas with walls where the river could rise without overflowing to make way for the shopping center now built on those former areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Just took a stroll around as well. Eco's was open, I think. South County was open.
    All the shops from Driscolls to the shopping centre are absolutely ruined. I was talking to a guy helping to clear some furniture from the shopping centre. He said the whole place was completely destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

the tenants didn't build the center, and im sure the people of douglas will make a point of supporting them once they re-open its that kind of place.

the point is being made, Blackpool residents said its their 4th flood in 10 years, clon is known to flood, glanmire (im not 100% sure on this one) but i think it has been known to flood before with that river,

but Douglas has only started flooding like this since the new center was built, it happened 2 years ago, and again this morning,

before that you'd have to go back decades to find an odd corner only flooded as that particular drain was blocked,

this flooding in Douglas has coincidentally started since the building of that center on the river and the removal of the areas with walls where the river could rise without overflowing to make way for the shopping center now built on those former areas.

Same developers in Blackpool and Douglas Shopping Centres too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I don't know how anybody could have slept through that last night, never heard rain like it. It seems we are getting tropical weather. Feel bad for the people who have lost their homes and business.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm watching the news and it's so surreal to think that while people swim in the canal in Dublin today to cool down and others are at the parks to sun bathe, people in Cork and Belfast are looking at having to re-home and lose businesses due to rainfall.

My heartfelt thoughts with all of the families and businesses affected. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Just to re-iterate the point, the building of the physical shopping centre & the associated design of the culvert is to blame for the specific flooding in Douglas & not the flooding that has occurred elsewhere. To add to that the tenats of said shopping centre are not to blame. I thought that these points were implied or understood.
    The culvert that was used to divert the river was designed too small, the physical structure of the shopping centre is taking up the footprint of the carpark reducing further the area where any of the excess water from the river could go.

I'm an engineer but it doesn't take a genius to spot that there has now been two incidents of flooding in recent times, an area that was not known as a flooding risk area in the past. Blackpool has equally become a concrete jungle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

No King Creoles?

This is our Katrina.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I remember going exploring in "the bog" when I was a kid/teenager (about 25/30 years ago). Getting stuck numerous times in the muck (quicksand as we called it then), gathering tadpoles, etc, etc. It was one large flood plain. The area is now the south ring road and housing estates.
    The Tramore River was visible out side the old Tesco and was large enough but usually 80% empty. Now it is gone "underground".

The area for flood water to be absorbed by has been drastically reduced by development all over the area...what did they expect to be honest?

IMHO the area would still have flooded with the amount of rain last night and all month but nowhere near as badly as it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

is anyone getting low water pressure?

Pressure seems fine for now. Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My facebook is full of jokes about the floods and comments complaining that they'll have to do KC's for a few months, and that their life is over because the chipper will be closed, which I think is awful. On the news this evening a grown man was nearly in tears because he had lost his home from the damage done, as well as his car. Its really not funny at all.

And what's worse is that if I remember correctly, insurance brokers were very slow to pay up after the flooding in '09, citing what happened as an "act of God". A lot of people aren't going to have the money to fix the damage.

Employees, businesses and families are suffering tonight, not knowing what the next few weeks will bring. I'm all for looking on the bright side but people are taking this too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Centra in Blackpool got hit pretty bad, and considering they're a franchise I wouldn't want to think of the costs to the owner.

Furniture centre on watercourse road got hit with all the water coming down the hill past Neptune

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

How could that have all been down to just rain??! Though was predicated that 24 hours of rainfall would happen but at the same time how could a city as big as cork get flooded as quick as that without the banks bursting to a degree?:eek:

Was most of Douglas affected then? Would there been anyway to get to the Airport?

Was blackrock, bishopstown, near ucc/victoria cross/college road all ok? What parts of the city weren't affected by the flooding?

Is blackpool not up on a hill of sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

is anyone getting low water pressure?

im in donnybrook and yes,water is very low pressure

doovdela wrote: »

No, not all of it. Most of the village was flooded. If you head towards Parklands or Ballyvolane, then it does get quite hilly.

Centra in Blackpool got hit pretty bad, and considering they're a franchise I wouldn't want to think of the costs to the owner.

Furniture centre on watercourse road got hit with all the water coming down the hill past Neptune

I also hear that the Blackpool Centra is considering closing his doors for good as he cannot get insurance. I hope that's not true. I really feel for the poor people who've been hit by the floods. I cannot believe that after 4 floods in 10 years, nothing can be done to avoid such awful flooding in the future. If you put the question to the council now, you'll probably get a self satisfied, self congratulatory non-response...

What worries me now is that with all the rain we've had, the water might go off again. Last time we had no water for two weeks! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

doovdela wrote: »
    How could that have all been down to just rain??! Though was predicated that 24 hours of rainfall would happen but at the same time how could a city as big as cork get flooded as quick as that without the banks bursting to a degree?:eek:

Was most of Douglas affected then? Would there been anyway to get to the Airport?

Was blackrock, bishopstown, near ucc/victoria cross/college road all ok? What parts of the city weren't affected by the flooding?

The rate at which the rain fell was akin to this area being washed with a power house. Cork city itself was not at all affected this time.

Douglas village was badly affected, it is low lying and I personally speaking have no doubt at all that the reason for this flooding here was because some genius thought that putting a stream under a building was agood idea.
    There was no problem getting to airport, earlier in the morning @ 5 ish there was flooding at the roundabout at the end of the airport hill, but afaik that cleared up quickly.

No flooding in any of the areas you mentioned above.

Just regarding Blackpool, its actually in a valley on the northside of the city, it is more or less level with the city centre.

Get this though, there is another Shopping centre out in Blackpool, developed by the same organisation that developed the one in Douglas, notice any similarities or coincidences?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i heard a few places in belfast aswell got submerged - a lot of damage and expense for people who dont have the money now in this recession..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No, not all of it. Most of the village was flooded. If you head towards Parklands or Ballyvolane, then it does get quite hilly.

Oh right, just that I used to often walk to blackpool - neptune stadium.
    Ah I see. So the hilly parts are less likely to get affected then?

So blackpool same level as the city then?
    kub wrote: »
    The rate at which the rain fell was akin to this area being washed with a power house. Cork city itself was not at all affected this time.

Douglas village was badly affected, it is low lying and I personally speaking have no doubt at all that the reason for this flooding here was because some genius thought that putting a stream under a building was agood idea.
    There was no problem getting to airport, earlier in the morning @ 5 ish there was flooding at the roundabout at the end of the airport hill, but afaik that cleared up quickly.

No flooding in any of the areas you mentioned above.

Just regarding Blackpool, its actually in a valley on the northside of the city, it is more or less level with the city centre.

Get this though, there is another Shopping centre out in Blackpool, developed by the same organisation that developed the one in Douglas, notice any similarities or coincidences?

ok so just down to mainly the rain so!? :/ Ya anything that is low lying is likely to get affected yet douglas and blackrock didn't get affected by the major flooding back in November 2009?!

Who there right mind do that? Sure its bad enough cork city is built over the river....explains that heavy rain alone could cause major flooding. So was there other towns outside of the city badly affected as well? Any where there is a stream or river nearby would get affected.

You serious?! no way could be a coincidence if both shopping centres have been badly affected.

Ah I see, blackpool is at the same level as the city then.

Is bishopstown on the a hill too though? Was the racecourse affected by any chance? Was Glasheen ok?

If I ever move back to Cork again, I have think about where I'd move to wisely! :/

Thanks for the heads up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Its really not funny at all.

The jokes are pretty insensitive, granted.

You know what's worse though? People pretending they're upset over the jokes so they can exercise some faux sense of self-righteous indignation.

It's not so much that the self-righteous care about what it is they're getting self-righteous about as much as they care about appearing morally superior and smugly virtuous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

They had all the windows of the shopping centre covered with black bags but I got a sneak peak through a window..took a picture of the damage in Tesco..pretty bad.

Advertisement