Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June Flooding in Cork

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

ffs that is some financial carnage there :eek: i seen clonakilty got badly done aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

One thing that Blackpool and Douglas have in common is covered rivers/culverts - both of which are relatively recently done.
    Both areas have also relatively recently suffered far more frequent and severe flooding than previously.
    What a co-incidence!!!

What gets me is that the guys that design these things have degrees and are supposedly intelligent but continuously make a cock-up of things - and it's usually damn expensive cock-ups. Sarsfield Road roundabout and the ESB in Wilton were two other beauts that come to mind.

Admittedly last nights rain was extreme and some flooding was always likely but certainly not as severely as happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

kub wrote: »

Just regarding Blackpool, its actually in a valley on the northside of the city, it is more or less level with the city centre.

Get this though, there is another Shopping centre out in Blackpool, developed by the same organisation that developed the one in Douglas, notice any similarities or coincidences?

Taken this article:
    http://corkindependent.com/stories/item/10174/2012-27/No-warning-for-uninsured-Blackpool-businesses
    “There are no storm drains in Blackpool Shopping Centre. It was a natural flood plain which has been taken away. The water has to go somewhere,” he said.

I didn't realize they couldn't get insurance for flood damage after the floods in 2001, I'd heard it today but didn't really believe it
    but it seems to be the case according to that article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

doovdela wrote: »
    So was there other towns outside of the city badly affected as well?
    :confused: The city wasn't flooded at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Namlub wrote: »
    :confused: The city wasn't flooded at all

Ok just get confused by the pictures I have seen above my apologies

• Advertisement

Was Mahon ok? Got conflicted information that Glanmire near the train station got affected too? Thought that were on a hill if you keep going up summer hill/lotabeag and trivoli/monette. Was little island/cobh or rochestown or passage west affected? Heard passage west can get flooded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ok just get confused by the pictures I have seen above my apologies

Douglas is a bit of a drain point into Mahon Estuary as you will see here.

Douglas is outside the City proper but is still considered part of Cork City. Actually the little river that burst its banks is the border between Cork City and Cork County.

This is from memory so might not be 100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

iDann wrote: »
    They had all the windows of the shopping centre covered with black bags but I got a sneak peak through a window..took a picture of the damage in Tesco..pretty bad.

Thankfully the nappies provided soakage...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 massib80

Eih guys anyone know the actual status of the sarsfield roundabout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I found this on Google maps, (they haven't been updated yet)

here you see the West side of the old shopping center

210836.png

previously if this had burst its banks the water would flow towards the south link direction such was the incline there (after heavy rain you would see puddles there instead of those parking spaces) this is now the main road/footpath with Tesco on its other side, clearly by not draining the road towards the link road direction the water ran into Tesco.

Further up you see two gaps for the river to rise these are now under the current center (and obviously they didn't give enough space for water rising/excessive rain)

210837.png

i also noted the amount of greenery/tree's removed by the new center's existence.

and the trees which were removed to put in that metal grate over the stream coming from douglas park

before:
    210835.png
    After:
    210838.jpeg

also here we used have that wall with the bars on top to catch such rainfall and overspill if needed (bottom middle of image)
    210834.png

again if i remember correctly the puddles used always be towards the morrison house direction pooling in the middle by the trees (hence the seemingly useless wall to the side of morrison house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

One thing that Blackpool and Douglas have in common is covered rivers/culverts - both of which are relatively recently done.

Anyone remember the Moremiles Petrol Station on the Mallow Road and the ESB's pole field [now BPSC]?

I worked there for years as a teenager 40+ years ago, Blackpool used to flood then and the Pole Field used to stay like a lake for long periods of time.

just thinking too, how much do you want to bet Douglas library is thanking its lucky stars they got an upstairs unit? :eek:

also I know everyone is probably tired of hearing about floods, but now is the time for action, everyone can help by supporting the businesses who are just after getting up and running again and supporting the rest when they get up and running!

does anyone else find Douglas Courts latest facebook advertising shameful?

posting this:

210842.png

at 9am yesterday with everyone waking up to the floods they decided to gloat about the fact they were unaffected?

its not like they needed to advertise, everyone in Douglas knows they are there and anyone in douglas knows the flood only effected the village center. even if they just said, "we are ok" or "we are open" but saying " we are open despite the floods" is a real :p kind of phrasing!

they would be better off helping out then trying to poach customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I was told by 2 different people at work yesterday that Douglas Court was flooded also. They said they heard it on the radio. I was doubtful, but hey...it was on the radio. May explain the message.

Also seems fairly normal non-offensive phrasing to me to be honest.

Ludo wrote: »
    Also seems fairly normal non-offensive phrasing to me to be honest.

Perhaps they should have said despite the reported flooding in the COURT, it is open ... ?

gbee wrote: »
    Perhaps they should have said despite the reported flooding in the COURT, it is open ... ?

that and just stop the constant advertising, if they were trying to inform customers they wouldn't be phrasing it like they are, or posting so regularly,

i haven't seen ANY other Douglas business doing it, they are all on the ground helping out those effected, as those effected are re-opening they may post something like it, but the ones who weren't effected (east village for one) are basically saying "we weren't effected by the floods" and leaving it at that, tasteful, the only time i heard the east village mentioned after that was when they were mentioned on the radio when someone said they were giving lunch to the clean up people,

i know Douglas Court are a business and need to try capitalize on this, but really? while there was water flowing through the village they were advertising, and bragging they weren't effected, and at a time like this it is just bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Anyone remember the Moremiles Petrol Station on the Mallow Road and the ESB's pole field [now BPSC]?

Yep I remember the pole field. It used always be full of water after a bad spell of heavy rain. The area available to the Bride river to overflow there is now gone and the Blackpool residents are feeling the brunt.

Although the development is older, Blackpool is at a slight advantage in that their culverts arent as affected by the tidal system as Douglas is. Blackpool is a steeper catchemtn tho meaning the water will reach teh culvert quicker. Something that I found bizarre in the examiner this morning ...
    "Each of these areas had a small stream with a small and steep surrounding catchment area that couldn’t contain the rain. If you look at Douglas, we had just put a quality-approved culvert in by the Ballybrack stream and this was designed for a one- in-1,000-year flooding event. Yet, the rate of rainfall last night was 30%-40% greater than a one in 1,000 year event," Noel O’Keeffe said.

That guy is the most senior engineer with Cork coco. I find it hard to believe (but am open to correction) that a culvert could be designed and built for a 1-1000 year event? Did this take the tidal status of the culvert into consideration I wonder?

Eitherway the businesses in Douglas suffered greater and will continue to do so in the future.

.... a quality approved yet ineffective culvert. That chap and the rest of the project approval team should get their walking papers. Unless someone has data to verify what rainfall fell was in excess of anything on record in cork than the chap is talking out his arse with the 1 in a 1000 year event.

Anyone know when Tesco will reopen?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

hoodwinked wrote: »
    that and just stop the constant advertising, if they were trying to inform customers they wouldn't be phrasing it like they are, or posting so regularly,

i haven't seen ANY other Douglas business doing it, they are all on the ground helping out those effected, as those effected are re-opening they may post something like it, but the ones who weren't effected (east village for one) are basically saying "we weren't effected by the floods" and leaving it at that, tasteful, the only time i heard the east village mentioned after that was when they were mentioned on the radio when someone said they were giving lunch to the clean up people,

i know Douglas Court are a business and need to try capitalize on this, but really? while there was water flowing through the village they were advertising, and bragging they weren't effected, and at a time like this it is just bad taste.

maybe im wrong but aren't the two shopping centers owned buy the same people. As far as i know Shipton own them both. makes perfect sense then why they would do this.

• Advertisement

Correct afaik.

maybe im wrong but aren't the two shopping centers owned buy the same people. As far as i know Shipton own them both. makes perfect sense then why they would do this.

they are owned by the same people, but they have different center manager's who i am guessing are in charge of advertising and facebook pages,

which is why i found it distasteful, you'd think the manager would have more common sense than capitalizing on a disaster his boss's other business had..

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

hoodwinked wrote: »
    they are owned by the same people, but they have different center manager's who i am guessing are in charge of advertising and facebook pages,

which is why i found it distasteful, you'd think the manager would have more common sense than capitalizing on a disaster his boss's other business had..

I don't think so and no manger would if you have an asset not able to make money and have one that can. I know as an owner that's how i would be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

For the love of God guys, you're all being a bunch of pedantic idiots with this. :rolleyes:

The rumour around the place is that Douglas Court is going into receivership and may close.

Both Douglas Court and Douglas Village Shopping Centre are owned by Clayton Love.

If I was a clever businessman and one of my shopping centres was heading for receivership and the other had just been ruined in the floods, I'd direct as many people as I could to them.

And guys, this is a recession. If you think there's a team of management running around coming up with business plans in these shopping centres, you need your head tested. Douglas Court got signs and everything printed, which cost. I guarantee Clayton Love approved it.

You're all talking about how the businesses in the village are going to crap anyway and how many won't survive this. Douglas Court is heading the same way, and they're trying to use an opportunity to get a bit of business.

What do you guys want? Two white elephants — two empty shopping centres — and a ghost town of a village?

Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

I passesd the douglas village shopping centre last night and there was a tremendous amount of activity there. I am guessing people are working round the clock to get the businesses re-opened and up and running again. My heart goes out to all the workers in those centres, if the shops dont reopen they will all be out of jobs.

Vivara wrote: »
    Come on.

Shipton Group are the holding company for Blackpool and Douglas Developments, they are in Nama and have reduced their losses recently to a low €40m ~ prognosis is to trade on.

Google will bring up the company links, balance sheets ownership and newspaper articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Was Mahon ok? Got conflicted information that Glanmire near the train station got affected too? Thought that were on a hill if you keep going up summer hill/lotabeag and trivoli/monette. Was little island/cobh or rochestown or passage west affected? Heard passage west can get flooded.

Wheres the train station in glanmire?

Where's the railway for that matter?

I thought the main train station was up that way?? No?

You pass McCurtain st and keep going up a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I thought the main train station was up that way?? No?

You pass McCurtain st and keep going up a hill.

Train station is on Lower Glanmire Road. Glanmire is quite a bit away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I worked there for years as a teenager 40+ years ago, Blackpool used to flood then and the Pole Field used to stay like a lake for long periods of time.
    Pole Field AKA Tuckers was the first bush tavern for many a teenage Blackpool boy.

You are spot on it was only after the shopping center went up in Blackpool that flood damage became a lot more of a regular occurrence.

Advertisement