Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June Flooding in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 badhistory

Hi does anyone know if the post office is re opened?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

badhistory wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know if the post office is re opened?

Doubt it as the whole centre is closed. There is a sign that starts, 'As the post office is closed', on the customer service desk of Douglas Court, but I didn't read the rest of the sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

The post office is closed its blackrock post office we need to use

which has kindly allowed douglas just one counter even when the others are empty so prepare to queue for 2 hours outside!:(

we didn't realise how lucky we were in douglas queuing indoors! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

hoodwinked wrote: »
    The post office is closed its blackrock post office we need to use

which has kindly allowed douglas just one counter even when the others are empty so prepare to queue for 2 hours outside!:(

we didn't realise how lucky we were in douglas queuing indoors! :pac:

For the last few months I've been visiting Blackrock PO. I only ever saw two counters open. Huge queue on Friday so I went back [yesterday] Monday 2nd July and there were two counters each, the Douglas one apparently staffed by Douglas PO personnel.

gbee wrote: »
    For the last few months I've been visiting Blackrock PO. I only ever saw two counters open. Hugh queue on Friday so I went back [yesterday] Monday 2nd July and there were two counters each, the Douglas one apparently staffed by Douglas PO personnel.

was down there again today with my aunt (we too saw the queue friday and had to leave)

today they had douglas staff again at two counters and the queue was still out the door in the rain, it wasnt as bad as Friday though id say they learned pretty quick since then.

the douglas staff said they are there for the next 3 weeks.

Tesco Douglas staff are being called into douglas for shifts from today/tomorrow. supposedly stocking shelves, so we may have progress on that front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Should rename the thread "Summer flooding in Cork".

This is ridiculous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Tesco Douglas staff are being called into douglas for shifts from today/tomorrow. supposedly stocking shelves, so we may have progress on that front.

It was either the Examiner or the Echo yesterday that mentioned they (Tesco) were hoping to be open at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Centra in Blackpool is still closed.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I was just by harvey norman on kinsale rd, i belive the stream by it continues on to douglas, its very high at the moment, it used to never be that high when i was younger, i think the whole douglas development has fecked up the way it runs or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

i was in the shopping centre today and its a shell,every shop is being pretty much gutted,the place stinks and is mucky thru-out!although much better than last saturday when there was 2-3 inch of muck on the floor.only shops to have started re-fitting is the bagel factory,the rest are still in the clean up phase from what i could see,and some havent been touched.Tesco hadn't there shutters opened so i dont know what state its in.

Post office has the damaged parts of walls stripped(below flood level) and the counter is still in place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Jesus lads it's been six days and I'm only back to boards now, only using a phone mind.
    Our place and cars were totally destroyed in the flood, I have to say it's been a pretty awful experience.
    I have a good few things and people to moan and thank but I'd especially like to say thanks to Vienna Woods Hotel for their hospitality following the flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

I was told today M&S would not open in Douglas again any one anything about this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I was told today M&S would not open in Douglas again any one anything about this.

Rarely went their but they did good Chicken Tikka Masala.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

54kroc wrote: »
    Jesus lads it's been six days and I'm only back to boards now, only using a phone mind.
    Our place and cars were totally destroyed in the flood, I have to say it's been a pretty awful experience.
    I have a good few things and people to moan and thank but I'd especially like to say thanks to Vienna Woods Hotel for their hospitality following the flood.
    Hope all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

KCs have stated (on their bookface page) that "it would be quite some time" before they will open again. There's more than just equipment damage to contend with apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Would nt be surprised especially as they are opening in the new block nearing completion at the entrance to Mahon Point SC

You'd wonder how they'd escape the lease in Douglas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

RoverJames wrote: »

Do stores like M&S, Tesco, etc. get very preferential terms (sometimes free) to be anchor tenants for these shopping centres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Do stores like M&S, Tesco, etc. get very preferential terms (sometimes free) to be anchor tenants for these shopping centres?

Of course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Should rename the thread "Summer flooding in Cork".

This is ridiculous :(

In case people don't realise what season June is in?

So has Tesco's douglas re-opened yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Shopping center reopens 9am tomorrow apparently.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Well tesco is reopening at 9am.
    Dunno about any of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

RoverJames wrote: »

I could be completely wrong, but sometime when M&S opened, I heard that they had the first 10 years rent free....to attract more tenants to the empty units.

Will Maxi Zoo reopen?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Tesco is reopening tomorrow, Crofts is reopening Thursday, I havent heard about the other shops yet.

Just saw this,
    Douglas Village Shopping Centre
    also opening today

-Tesco extra
    -emobile/meteor
    -douglas library
    -Obriens/bagel factory- also note Rachel Allen will be doing an official opening on Thursday
    -cork FM community radio
    - PET SHOP
    -cork city FC official shop
    -Pharmacy First Plus
    -Bank of Ireland
    -Splash Beauty
    -Leonards Hair and Beauty
    -Falvey’s pharmacy
    -Crystal clean -car wash

im surprised the post office isn't opening yet, considering the likes of the pet shop and bank of ireland have all finished their work???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I could be completely wrong, but sometime when M&S opened, I heard that they had the first 10 years rent free....to attract more tenants to the empty units.

Will Maxi Zoo reopen?

I think you are right, it was on here I think that we discussed it at the time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I did hear that there are decent discounts on stuff in tesco today....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If M&S is gone though its going to be a major blow to the smaller retailers, that shop was the only reason alot of people even walked past the rest of the shops.

Advertisement