Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June Flooding in Cork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

murphym7 wrote: »
    I think you are right, it was on here I think that we discussed it at the time.

That's where I heard it murphym7!
    Sorry to hear the little boutiques like Pure, Verso etc. won't be opening yet (if ever). Can't be easy on them....

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Any news on M&S. Their staff were really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I spoke to someone in the HO today as I wanted to go to Douglas.

Seems the store won't be open for another 2-3 weeks. There is also (sadly) no truth in the rumour that they'll be opening a store in Mahon...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

PcAngel wrote: »
    Any news on M&S. Their staff were really nice.

actually that's a good point, their staff were/are really nice alright. Any time I've bought a few things from the food court the person at the checkout was always courteous and chatty. Granted I'm paying more for my stuff compared to Tesco/Dunnes etc but it's nice to still see some places training their staff well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Is the Bank of Ireland open in Douglas? Was it badly damaged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

I'm glad to hear it will be reopening anyway, the staff are lovely in there alright. Much handier than going into the M&S in town too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

murphym7 wrote: »
    Is the Bank of Ireland open in Douglas? Was it badly damaged?

According to http://www.douglasvillage.ie/ BOI are open again alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Went into Douglas Village last night. It was so sad to see so many shops closed. Most though, will be re-opening which is good news.

We were in Tesco's. The clean-up job in there was amazing! Props to their staff and contractors. The store was clean, stocked, and did not smell at all. You would never believe that there was a serious flood just two weeks before.

There's a wall of photos taken at the time of the flood, which we found interesting to see. Couldn't believe how high the water got! Must've been scary at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

JohnK wrote: »
    According to http://www.douglasvillage.ie/ BOI are open again alright.

Not open in the strictest sense, you can go into the lobby and use the automatic machines, however there are no cash desks open and no tellers at them. I would avoid unless you can do your business using the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Any news on M & S? Time is moving on now and I'm wondering if anything is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i find its a bit weird they are taking so long when other shops have opened as quick as possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I heard M&S were taking an additonal unit, and so are completly reconfiguring. Hence the longer time.

pwurple wrote: »
    I heard M&S were taking an additonal unit, and so are completly reconfiguring. Hence the longer time.

reconfiguring as in moving upstairs? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Sorry to drag up and older thread, but.................

I wouldn't park on the Quays or in parts of the city centre tomorrow evening - lots of rain forecast, SE winds and High Water (4.3m) is 1927 (Cobh).

Boards forecast: Science -> Weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

blindsider wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up and older thread, but.................

I wouldn't park on the Quays or in parts of the city centre tomorrow evening - lots of rain forecast, SE winds and High Water (4.3m) is 1927 (Cobh).

Boards forecast: Science -> Weather

Agreed....

Been in town the last few evenings,and the water hasn't been far from the top of the Quay walls. And that's without heavy rain for the last few days.

Defo going to be a few puddles later Me thinks.

Flood warnings have just been issued.

http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,55856,en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Jesus I don't know how I missed all this, we haven't even moved back home after the last flood yet.

54kroc wrote: »
    Jesus I don't know how I missed all this, we haven't even moved back home after the last flood yet.

Seriously?

Jaesus..That can't be good..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Saw on facebook that out by the school of music is flooded

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seen a few pics that show grand parade has some water on it too.

• Advertisement

Just been told parts of Kinsale road,including the magic roundabout are now closed as well.

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Just been told parts of Kinsale road,including the magic roundabout are now closed as well.

My husband is currently driving on the kinsale road roundabout its open and there is no water there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

I was on the Kinsale road roundabout a while ago and there is NO FLOODING there. I don't know where some of this info is coming from but a lot of it is pure ****e. I came home because I was under the impression that town was starting to flood. Its not! Stop relaying information if it's not first hand or from a reliable source.

By all means everyone should take care though.

I'm just back from there....

It is closed,but not from flooding...

It's due to the roadworks there...

You can't access Kinsale road from the Turners Cross side.

That was at 9.00pm.

I'm just back from there....

It is closed,but not from flooding...

It's due to the roadworks there...

You can't access Kinsale road from the Turners Cross side.

That was at 9.00pm.

you mean the roadworks that have been on-going for weeks?

your statement above was very misleading for others :confused:

Gru wrote: »
    I was on the Kinsale road roundabout a while ago and there is NO FLOODING there. I don't know where some of this info is coming from but a lot of it is pure ****e. I came home because I was under the impression that town was starting to flood. Its not! Stop relaying information if it's not first hand or from a reliable source.

By all means everyone should take care though.

Parts of town are flooded..

Second post down here.. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056777517&page=12

Over by Wandersford Quay are still under water,,although I don't think it was that bad.

There are pics on a different Forum on here. ^^^

As I was coming out from town,,Gilabbey St was still closed..

hoodwinked wrote: »

Yes,those roadworks....For some reason whatever they are doing there tonight,,they had it blocked off..

Sorry about the confusion... :o

Some parts are under a little bit of water but the whole of town isn't going under. I passed the clarion around 8 and the water had claimed two lanes directly across from it. On my way back about 20 minutes ago the water was back where it belongs and the water level was visibly down.

I think people got a shock but unless the banks break then I think (thankfully) town will be alright. I sincerely hope no one is out of home or business as a result but it seems that on the radio and some websites it's like doomsday going on.

I'm just glad that town is alright, just a little gutted that I've come home for no reason. Ah well, next time :o

Yes,those roadworks....For some reason whatever they are doing there tonight,,they had it blocked off..

Sorry about the confusion... :o

ah don't worry about it, just annoyed with myself that I didn't ignore some of the messages and stories going round when I'd seen it only a short while beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

hoodwinked wrote: »

How is it misleading?

Advertisement