Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for General Info about UCD (i'll be attending in the fall)

Options
  • 28-06-2012 4:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm an American who will be attending University College Dublin in the fall, studying for my MA in philosophy. I am looking for for any information about the city, the college, etc. I'm especially curious about what immediately surrounds the UCD campus. It's looking like I'll end up living in Glenomena and so I'm wondering how far off campus one most go until they are in the city center, and how close are shops and pubs to campus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

You'd be around 10 mins by bus to the city centre and they are fairly frequent. When you get to Dublin get yourself a student travel card which will let you get cheaper tickets for all public transport (Dublin Bus, Irish Rail etc) in case you want to venture further than UCD campus.

You'd probably have to be more specific about city/college info but there should be plenty both online and on the forums.

There is a Centra shop on campus, but I'm not sure what else is nearby (never had to look), though there is a Tesco near Vincents Hospital. Large chains are Tesco, Dunnes Stores, Lidl, Aldi. Marks and Spencers is another but you'd pay more in it. Local type shops are Centra, Mace, Spar as well as others.
    Pubs - there is a bar on campus which has just been renovated but you'll have plenty of choice. There is a thread on campus accommodation here so they may be able to give you more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

From Glenonema you're a 40 minute walk, or 5 minute bus ride from the nearest large supermarket, cinema, restaurants, which are in the suburb of Stillorgan. There is a bar (probably 2) on campus and a couple of pubs relatively close to your end.

Dublin City centre is a 25 minute bus ride and the stop is right outside glenomena.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

murphyst17 wrote: »
    I'm an American who will be attending University College Dublin in the fall, studying for my MA in philosophy. I am looking for for any information about the city, the college, etc. I'm especially curious about what immediately surrounds the UCD campus. It's looking like I'll end up living in Glenomena and so I'm wondering how far off campus one most go until they are in the city center, and how close are shops and pubs to campus?

UCD is located south of Dublin city, very close to Donneybrook and Stillorgan. The immediate area around UCD is mainly residential. There are busstops in the college that serve routes into town, and as was said, these are very close to Glenomena.

The 39a brings you right into the city centre, as do the 46a and the 145.
    The 145 will also bring you to Heuston Station (Dublin's main train station, serving most parts of the country) and Bray (a big beach town in Wicklow).
    The 46a also stops in a small port town called Dun Laoighre.
    More info on buses can be found on www.dublinbus.ie and more on the rail services on www.irishrail.ie

A big shopping centre (with food stores, clothes shops, restaurants, cafés, department stores and a cinema) near UCD is Dundrum Town Centre. You can travel to this on the 17 Bus, or alternatively you can walk to the shopping centre. It's about 1/2 hour's walk if you go through Goatstown. Google maps should be able to help you with this one!

Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

The 17 doesn't go directly to Dundrum, does it?

And you could make use of Tesco in Merrion. It is nearer than the one in Stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

Neeson wrote: »
    The 17 doesn't go directly to Dundrum, does it?

And you could make use of Tesco in Merrion. It is nearer than the one in Stillorgan.

The No. 17 goes to the edge of Dundrum town, it's a short walk from there to the shopping centre. The No. 17 though, is ridiculously unreliable, so I usually prefer to walk! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It also stops right next to Nutgrove, which also has a Tesco. And since they brought in Real Time Updates, it's much more reliable.

Advertisement