Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo ocean race Galway

• 28-06-2012 8:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Folks in case people are not aware of this event,the Volvo Ocean race finale is coming to Galway this weekend.
    The city has transformed for the festival,the 3rd biggest sporting event in Europe this yr and if your not interested in the boats there are loads of free activities and free concerts daily.
    Taking a few days of myself to enjoy it but I recommend to anyone come down and visit it,great atmosphere and it won't cost you much at all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Speakin for the rest of us locals, stay where ye are. Its bad enough when ye come down Race Week makin a ****e of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Speakin for the rest of us locals, stay where ye are. Its bad enough when ye come down Race Week makin a ****e of the place.

you*

ye is retarded, stop saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Ha ha good lad. And what do people make a ****e of actually? What about all the money that is pumped into the city over the summer with all the festivals? You should be glad and happy your city is hosting such major events as the races and ocean race!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

FatherLen wrote: »
    you*

Say "No" to grammar nazism

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

you*

Second person plural, what's wrong with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ye is retarded

*ye are retarded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'll say "ye" as much as I like. And since I don't work in the tourism industry,I personally don't give a frig how much money is pumped into the city because I don't get any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I think it's great. The volvo was fantastic in 2009 and they clearly liked it themselves or else they wouldn't be coming back.

and for the people complaining about the massive influx of people, you'd think Galway is used to it by now. every September the population goes up by so many thousands until May and there are big festivals every few weeks in the Summer. how is this any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I don't really give a fcuk about the boats but if it's anything like the one 3 years ago, its going to unreal if not better.

Finally no leaving or junior cert getting in the way like last time!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If it's as good as the Tall Ships was in Waterford I would defo recommend it! Great atmosphere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

Galway a great little city... if only you could roof it!

1ZRed wrote: »
    Finally no leaving or junior cert getting in the way like last time!:D

You did your Leaving and your Junior Cert in the one year??? :eek:

I'll say "ye" as much as I like. And since I don't work in the tourism industry,I personally don't give a frig how much money is pumped into the city because I don't get any of it.

Ah your no crack at all! I am yet to meet anyone from Galway who have a problem with any of the festivals being held in the city. Enjoy it and live a little.

With regards to the boat race i hope the weather is good. Really made the difference a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

kfallon wrote: »
    If it's as good as the Tall Ships was in Waterford I would defo recommend it! Great atmosphere!

a bit OT but that's something i'd love to see!

a bit OT but that's something i'd love to see!

It's on in Dublin next month isn't it?

In fairness though I did enjoy being in salthill watching the races. Great weather and great atmosphere. I hope it's the same this year.
    By far the best festival experience I've had in Galway.

Kfallon the way it fell last year at the start of June meant I wasn't there as much as I'd like to have. This year though that's not a problem. You get me?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its amazing how bog threads stay here yet the second the word dublin is mentioned in a thread people are like flies around shite saying dublin forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

its amazing how bog threads stay here yet the second the word dublin is mentioned in a thread people are like flies around shite saying dublin forum

What town?????

Your speaking for yourself there fella. I, like any other Galway person I know cannot wait for the ocean race or the races for the matter. The more people that come to the city the better the buzz.

Its a big event that's relevant to the whole country as a lot of people will travel to Galway at some point during it.

Maybe it's that head up your ass attitude you find easier in Dublin that contributes to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

One of the main reasons the VOR 2009 was so successful was the weather. It would have been a great week, Ocean Race or no. This year, I suspect we'll be rained out of it.
    Its a big event that's relevant to the whole county as a lot of people will travel to Galway at some point during it.
    That's an unfortunate typo...

Ficheall wrote: »

That's an unfortunate typo...

It was :), fixed now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Maybe it's that head up your ass attitude you find easier in Dublin that contributes to it

i have had the pleasure of living in more than one county in this country. one being dublin and it is true. if this event was held in dublin and a thread in after hours was started over it, it would be moved. now don't get me wrong i understand this is a big event and i most certainly don't want it to be moved but there is a double standard here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

You probably need a primer on how an economy works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Ah your no crack at all! I am yet to meet anyone from Galway who have a problem with any of the festivals being held in the city. Enjoy it and live a little.

With regards to the boat race i hope the weather is good. Really made the difference a few years ago!

a lot of people have a problems with the arts festival in galway

Really? Why so?

I don't hear many complain about that at all. This is different though, we've only have it once before at it brings loads of life into Galway.
    Not everyone would be into the arts festival but way more would be into the Volvo because of the atmosphere it creates.

Honestly I don't get people who complain about these things. It's a heap of fun!
    Don't like it stay at home and be happy if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I don't hear many complain about that at all. This is different though, we've only have it once before at it brings loads of life into Galway.
    Not everyone would be into the arts festival but way more would be into the Volvo because of the atmosphere it creates.

Honestly I don't get people who complain about these things. It's a heap of fun!
    Don't like it stay at home and be happy if that's the case.

izred, don't get me wrong - I was only commenting on a post re the arts festival. There is a big history behind the arts festival and how they tended to bypass the actual local artists in favor of big international acts - if you haven't lived here long you may not know about it.

I cannot wait for the Volvo to come to town - no complaints from me on any festival in Galway.

I love that the Volvo is such an inclusive festival also, it embraces everybody - it put all the other festivals into the shade when it was here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

You haven't met me. I hate the Races, as a goodly proportion of the population do. Most of us don't benefit from it, and have to put up with insane traffic during the day, crowded pubs and restaurants, drunken tomfoolery at all hours of the day, and worst of all, tools in their shiny suits wearing sunglasses when it's cloudy.
    And there's nothing special for locals to enjoy in the city, apart from going to the Races, unlike the Volvo Ocean Race the first time, when there was plenty of things to do. It was an actual festival, whereas the Races is really just a long racing meet with a few bells and whistles, all located in Ballybrit.

I don't know anyone who doesn't at least have mixed feelings about the Races, and I've lived in Galway city most of my life.

But the Ocean Race was great. I think a lot of that was the relative lack of expectations about it, the weather and the fact that lots of things were free.
    Hopefully this year it'll be good, but with lots of expensive ticketed events and planning, I don't think it'll go down quite so well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Caribbean Cat

I cannot wait for the Volvo Ocean Race!Passed the docks yesterday and got all happy when I saw the stage going up...sunny or not it will be great craic. Can't wait for the Arts Festival either although the bands aren't great this year. You can keep the races thanks..not my scene..suits and tangoed short skirts pretending to have an interest in the horses.Good luck to that:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The only people really seriously complaining are those Occupy fools who for some reason think that Volvo provokes mass murder all over the world and that representatives of China and such countries shouldn't be welcome. Oh well. It'll still be class. Hope the weather holds though.

. You can keep the races thanks..not my scene..suits and tangoed short skirts pretending to have an interest in the horses.Good luck to that:p

The ocean race is brilliant but nothing tops race week, best week of the year bar none. I wouldn't miss it for anything. 7 days of racing and at least 5 nights out in a row in Galway, epic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Love the atmosphere in the city during VOR. The Races aren't a patch on it.
    Won't be able to see most of it coz I'm in Dublin though. :( However, I am going to see Dara O' Briain on Saturday in the Global Village!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

I read thread title as volcano race. I would love to see a volcano race. My monies on pinatubo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

ah, the pointless ocean race. Who was ever interested in yachts until they got a chance to make money out of it. Went to the race village last year and it seemed to be nothing but food stalls and fake crafts. Boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I work behind a bar and it'll be a tough week- like all festivals, races etc but fingers crossed I get to enjoy a night or two. Used to love the races but it's attracting more people now more than ever who just come down to act the maggot. By all means gamble, drink, chat up people and get dressed to the nines- why not! But please stop treating people who are serving you like ****, drink far too much that these same staff are calling the guards on you for lying on the side of the road covered in god knows whose sick!!! And damaging property for a laugh!! Otherwise love these festivities!! Tourism is key to us and I'm noticing loads more bum bagged yanks all over the place which is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

race week-rag week for grown ups!

love heading down to galway any weekend of the year, everyone drinking on the streets-just couldnt have that in dublin as the knackers would ruin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Can't wait for this, Last time the place was absolutely packed, with a much nicer class of people compared to the drunken Race Week brigade. :cool:
    Pity we don't have the wonderful Red Arrows this time, even if only to annoy the tiny but vocal Galway alliance against selective wars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

pretending to have an interest in the horses.Good luck to that:p

Unlike the genuine interest in boat racing that everyone acquired all of a sudden...

c_man wrote: »
    Unlike the genuine interest in boat racing that everyone acquired all of a sudden...

But there is actually other stuff like gigs and comedy shows to go to during the Ocean Race.

Race week is just drunken people packed onto Shop Street after they are done watching horses run about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Mars Bar wrote: »

But there is actually other stuff like gigs and comedy shows to go to during the Ocean Race. .

Kinda proving my point there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'm planning on heading down next saturday to catch the race. Hopefully I'll get to see something and it should be worth the trip across the country!

Kinda proving my point there

Oh, well ok. Glad to help! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Last time VOR came about in 09, the boats arrived in on a saturday night. 10,000 people showed up to greet them but clubs closing had a lot to do with the number that came out to greet them.

The boats are due in tuesday afternoon this time and many people are going to be in work but there will be a crowd there all the same no doubt. Probably not as much as last time.

I hope the weather holds out and remains dry. Hoping for the sun to appear will be wishful thinking but so long as it's dry, it will be good. I don't know what the weather will be like for tuesday but I'm sensing it's going to be a washout. I hope I'm wrong.

Loads of free concerts on every night. Have picked out 6 that I want to go to but won't be able to go to all of those 6, if any at all, due to transport and funds but will try and go to 2 or 3.

Volvo Ocean Race week in Galway came to an end and what a fantastic week it's been. What a wonderful, amazing, spectatular sporting event the VOR is and deligted that something this big came to our shores here in Galway. Nothing but good reports on Galway. Here's hoping we get it back again.

It'll be sad to see all the boats and tents gone.

It's going to be so bare more than anything I think. It was a brilliant festival anyway. Races next!;)

Although I don't think it'll have anything on the atmosphere of the Volvo!

The Ocean Race brings an entirely different crowd than RAG or Race week - people who actually want to enjoy the festivities rather than come here and get hammered and act like an absolute c*ntface.

I know. The docks will go back to normal and quieten down.

Wish Galway could make use of the space where the oil tanks were and host some concerts down there. God knows the space is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It's going to be so bare more than anything I think. It was a brilliant festival anyway. Races next!;)

Although I don't think it'll have anything on the atmosphere of the Volvo!

Different scene all together, different age groups as well. Race week will be brilliant as well.
    Pity the weather let us down for the Volvo this time but still good show from Galway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement