Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo ocean race Galway

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The Ocean Race brings an entirely different crowd than RAG or Race week - people who actually want to enjoy the festivities rather than come here and get hammered and act like an absolute c*ntface.

This is very true. Stumbling drunks were few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The tall ships are coming to Dublin at the end of August too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The tall ships are coming to Dublin at the end of August too.

Don't stir the pot!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

This is enda kenny with the CEO of the VOR and is very hot indeed, from the VOR in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Waterford had the same amount of visitors in 3 days during the Tall Ships stopover

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Speakin for the rest of us locals, stay where ye are. Its bad enough when ye come down Race Week makin a ****e of the place.

You are definitely NOT speaking for me. :mad:

I'm proud to come from a city that can host so many different events each year and as far as I'm concerned, everyone is welcome.

The more the merrier. :)

We've already had the Cuirt Literary Festival, The VOR and lots of other things going on this year.

Now bring on the Film Fleadh, The Arts Festival, Race Week, Oyster Festival, Homecoming bash for for our hurlers when they win this years All Ireland:D etc...........

There's something for everyone in Galway and we know how to throw a party like no other city in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ilovesleep wrote: »
    This is very true. Stumbling drunks were few and far between.
    Eh? There were just as many drunken stumblers as during Rag weeks and Race weeks. I was even propositioned by some lass while walking down Dominick Street one night. Things have never been that bad during Rag week or Race week! (To those whom it may concern; I politely declined her offer, as she had been drinking and I was completely sober.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tall Ships in Dublin at the end of August outweighs a few "bath toy" boats in Galway.

Tall ships are "propper vessels/boats" and will attract more people too.

Tall ships are also open to the public to walk on board and view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

paddy147 wrote: »
    Tall Ships in Dublin at the end of August outweighs a few "bath toy" boats in Galway.

OT. Man your comparing f1 cars to a vintage rally. Just the fact you even made that comparison demonstrates very little knowledge of either. Both offer something completely different, as a sailor both hold separate but equal special meaning to me.

Btw talked to some of the people involved in the VOR in dublin yesterday. The reports were massively positive for Galway. Fair play, you put on a show and i think its exactly what some of the lads needed after so long at sea.

• Advertisement

Tall ships are "propper boats" and will attract more people too.

Those "Bath Toy" boats, as you call them, have just spent the last 9 months sailing around the world, covering over 43,000 nautical miles, and visiting 10 different ports.

And you say they're not "propper boats" because they're not tall ships. :rolleyes:

Would ya GTFO and don't be talking scutter.

Thats like saying that a Learjet isn't a proper plane because it doesn't have propellers. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Galway needs to bring the Salthill airshow

It was always superbly organized and huge crowds

Throw GAAW into the bay while you are it!

What's the appeal of tall ships? I've seen them before and I thought they were cool enough but it's nothing compared to the Volvo sailboats. There's real sport and competition in them and it brings a huge, lively and young festival and atmosphere with it.
    So we had a week of free public concerts, parties and an absolutely amazing time with such a great buzz.

Do the tall ships bring that?

1ZRed wrote: »
    What's the appeal of tall ships? I've seen them before and I thought they were cool enough but it's nothing compared to the Volvo sailboats. There's real sport and competition in them and it brings a huge, lively and young festival and atmosphere with it.
    So we had a week of free public concerts, parties and an absolutely amazing time with such a great buzz.

Do the tall ships bring that?
    Yep, they do:)

Yep, they do:)

Really? And loads of young people?

Well if that's the case that shut me up!:) Personally I loved to Volvo but I wouldn't throw down on the tall ships because of it like some people like to do with the Volvo.
    Anything lively and involves a party is always good in my book anyway;)

Well if that's the case that shut me up!:) Personally I loved to Volvo but I wouldn't throw down on the tall ships because of it like some people like to do with the Volvo.
    Anything lively and involves a party is always good in my book anyway;)
    I remember going in into to see them back in 1998 as a kid. There was a bit of a festival going on.

It would be as big as 98 though again because there's less coming this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Anything lively and involves a party is always good in my book anyway;)[/QUOTE

So what are you saying???? That these "events" are just for LOADS of YOUNG PEOPLE? and they have to involve "a party"?????

Not really.....both the ocean race and tall ships are great events and appeal to ALL ages!!! But like every other "event" and festivals, they will run their course. Galway this time round......maybe not in 2 years time as there are NUMEROUS venues who probably as we speak, are making representations for THEIR city to host these events. That's the reality!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was a great week, glad I took it off work and needed something like this to do something different.

Only trouble I saw was a bunch of kiddie scumbags jumping a random guy in front of us and one little shìt smashing a bottle on top of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even though we didn't get the great weather this time I think it was still a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Ah lads I'm volvo'd

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

biko wrote: »
    Even though we didn't get the great weather this time I think it was still a success.

Yep.

Great success. So far as I am aware nobody was stabbed either. But enjoy the tall ships Dublin.

• Advertisement

The Ocean Race brings an entirely different crowd than RAG or Race week - people who actually want to enjoy the festivities rather than come here and get hammered and act like an absolute c*ntface.

I'm sick of reading this, I saw very little if any difference in peoples behavior compared to the race week and I have been in the thick of the crowd in Galway all race week for years, plenty of drunk people are around for both (including myself :D).

The Ocean race was brilliant and I really hope its back again but race week is still the best week of the year in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

would agree that the Races brings a completely different crowd to Galway - I don't like the crowd that comes into Galway during that time - not talking about the genuine race people - I'm talking about the hangers on and chancers that come into the town - a million miles away from the Volvo crowd and the film fleadh arts fest crowd. In fact many Galway people head OUT of Galway during the Races time. Not a fan of Galway during Race week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

As a matter of interest why is this thread not in the Galway Forum? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

kfallon wrote: »

because the VOR is an international event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

There is one there as well. It's only right a lovely place like Galway is shared with everyone.:p

Up the west. :D

because the VOR is an international event?

Sailing & Boating forum then??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

the officials are saying the volvo race attracted 800,000 people into galway over the 9 days.

By all accounts they reckon it was an outstanding success and Galway will probably get another stopover/finale in the next race.

Every bit of coverage i saw from the volvo media/internet tv channel had nothing but praise for Galway.
    Contrast that with other stopovers, some of which were very poorly attended.

Galway will defo figure in future races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

But the Volvo Ocean Race brings something special Tall ships doesn't. There is a difference between sailing from France to Spain to Ireland and the Volvo ocean race doing a circumnavigation of the globe. The Tall Ships route is childs play for the Volvo teams:rolleyes:

Brad768 wrote: »
    But the Volvo Ocean Race brings something special Tall ships doesn't. There is a difference between sailing from France to Spain to Ireland and the Volvo ocean race doing a circumnavigation of the globe. The Tall Ships route is childs play for the Volvo teams:rolleyes:

I doubt the 800,000 who visited Galway over the weekend were all Sailing afficienados though!

I doubt the 800,000 who visited Galway over the weekend were all Sailing afficienados though!

Did they have to be ?

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Did they have to be ?

No but the post above mine was insinuating that because it was a real race as opposed to the 'Tall Ships' it was much better! I'm sure if it was The Tall Ships happening in Galway last week it would have had the same great atmosphere, it's not like people would have stayed away saying, "Ah sure Jaysus they're not even racing!" Most people would have went for the atmosphere and the events surrounding the race and not the race itself!

No but the post above mine was insinuating that because it was a real race as opposed to the 'Tall Ships' it was much better! I'm sure if it was The Tall Ships happening in Galway last week it would have had the same great atmosphere, it's not like people would have stayed away saying, "Ah sure Jaysus they're not even racing!" Most people would have went for the atmosphere and the events surrounding the race and not the race itself!

Some how I really doubt it. They Volvo was a massive party atmosphere with concerts, music, events plentiful beer (:D!) and the majority of the crowd was young so it had a fantastic atmosphere. I don't know there was just something about it and it being a big international racing event, everyone just flocked to the festival.

The tall ships have come to Galway before I think 5 years ago but I've never seen anything like the Volvo in Galway before, that time there was a lot of people but they were older and there wasn't exactly a massive atmosphere at all -pretty much just the boats. Honestly, the Volvo put all other Galway festivals to shame and if the weather was that of 2009, anything else held in the city would find it very though to beat. It's a tough enough task already.

Anyway why does this have to turn into a dick measuring contest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I don't know there was just something about it and it being a big international racing event, everyone just flocked to the festival.
    I doubt it had much to do with it being a big international racing event. That was just the soup stone.

Yeah,I forgot that none of the tall ships have ever sailed around the world or are propper ocean going vessels either.

I also forgot that the only boats that can go around the world are these volvo "bath toys".

Yeah,I forgot that none of the tall ships have ever sailed around the world or are propper ocean going vessels either.

I also forgot that the only boats that can go around the world are these volvo "bath toys".

Why are you being so petty? The Volvo is over and you didn't go but now you have this festival for yourself, just enjoy it. If the Volvo wasn't your thing that's fine, there's no need to be elitist about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And so begins the piss higher competition...........

mikom wrote: »
    And so begins the piss higher competition...........

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

:D

..( )
    ...ll
    ...ll
    ( )( )

It doesn't matter what boats are more important or anything else - what mattered is the actual festival itself and Galway threw a pretty excellent shindig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It was like Race Week, only without the army of arrogant obnoxious f*kheads that always show up for horse racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ask Biko! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Paddy is either trolling or thinks the whole thing was about boats. Actually it was about Galway and showcasing the town. Which it did brilliantly. Great atmosphere and lots of fun. It basically took over the city for a week. My five year old cried when he heard it was over.

Short of the Olympics. Dublin is too big to be taken over by one event no matter how tall the ships are. Which I will be going to see with the kids!

I wonder is there anyway we can get Formula 1 to come to Dublin or one of the other cities?

Advertisement