Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v Italy

• 28-06-2012 8:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Expected line up's.

Germany :

Neuer

Boateng---Hummels--Badstuber--Lahm

Schweinsteiger--Khedira

Muller
    Ozil
    Podolski

Gomez

Italy :

Buffon

Abate---Chiellini---Bonucci---Barzagli

Pirlo

Marchisio
    Montolivo
    De Rossi

Cassano--Balotelli

I think Germany will start with Gomez, Klose looked a bit sluggish against Greece and even though he scored, I think Gomez would have converted more chances against them.

Chellini if hes anyway able to play should come back in for the Italians, T.Motta could very well play a part also to try and nulify the German tatc but I'm unsure about him starting.

Germany to win after extra time.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I see a result in the 90 minutes myself, and if Germany turn up and play to their ability they will win this by 2 or 3 goals I think.

On paper its a bad match up for Italy, but obviously that means very little and if Germany are below par then anything could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i want germany to win, for the very simple reason that i don't want to be listening to people making excuses about ireland "ah sure weren't the two finalists in our group no wonder we failed"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Is Abate fit? Regarding Chiellini, the fact that Italy have kept two comfortable clean sheets in a row might lead us to think his comback isn't a major issue, but those games were against the worst side in the tournament and one of the worst three sides in an attacking sense in England.

If de Rossi and Chiellini are passed fit it would be fascinating to see them line up in the same formation they started with V Spain, but Maggio is suspended , i feel he is more suited to that role if Abate has any worries about his hamstring it might limit his mobility on the right.

Personally i would play Klose over Gomez.

Tough to call this one. I would not be backing Germany odds on in 90 mins. Really looking forward to it, lets hope its better than last nights bore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Please god let the Germans win, for the sake of my wallet and sanity in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Is Abate fit? Regarding Chiellini, the fact that Italy have kept two comfortable clean sheets in a row might lead us to think his comback isn't a major issue, but those games were against the worst side in the tournament and one of the worst three sides in an attacking sense in England.

If de Rossi and Chiellini are passed fit it would be fascinating to see them line up in the same formation they started with V Spain, but Maggio is suspended , i feel he is more suited to that role if Abate has any worries about his hamstring it might limit his mobility on the right.

Personally i would play Klose over Gomez.

Tough to call this one. I would not be backing Germany odds on in 90 mins. Really looking forward to it, lets hope its better than last nights bore.

Nothing official yet but any chance of Chellini playing and he will be played whether its against Gomez or Klose.

I would play Gomez, although they're very similar in style and approach and they both have the ability to get goals from nothing, Gomez is the better player at this moment in time and will be fresher.

• Advertisement

Klose is a more mobile striker and better as a player. Gomez just scores, thats not a criticism, its what he does, he is a big lump who just cant stop scoring!

Interesting to see who the manager goes with, I suspect Gomez alright, he will be fresh and raring to go after being left out of the last game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hope to Christ Germany win. If Italy go through really can't see my self being bothered to get up for the final.

Last nights game was a struggle to get through alright, has to be better then that

kryogen wrote: »
    Klose is a more mobile striker and better as a player. Gomez just scores, thats not a criticism, its what he does, he is a big lump who just cant stop scoring!

Interesting to see who the manager goes with, I suspect Gomez alright, he will be fresh and raring to go after being left out of the last game

Thats my one criticism of Gomez, his overall play can sometimes be poor but yet he still manages to find himself grabbing a goal or two, he can go large parts of games where he looks totally useless but will nick a goal.

I think it will be a Germany v Spain repeat final and the Germans will be out for revenge.

gavredking wrote: »
    Thats my one criticism of Gomez, his overall play can sometimes be poor but yet he still manages to find himself grabbing a goal or two, he can go large parts of games where he looks totally useless but will nick a goal.

I think it will be a Germany v Spain repeat final and the Germans will be out for revenge.

I hope so, have tipped and back Germany since before the tournament so it would be nice to get a win there :)

Never discount the Italians of course, I have many, many criticisms of Gomez :D But he does know where the goal is, can't take that away from him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can see Germany going for the jugular early on in this. Extra 2 days rest and Italy had to go to extra time too. Could be a huge factor in this. I'm not going to say I'm looking forward to it because every time I have since the QFs began the games have been major let downs.

Another goal or two for Mario Gomez though please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Please god let the Germans win, for the sake of my wallet and sanity in the final.

Ha the sanity of the final? Shame that you missed the Spain - Italy group game :(
    Frisbee wrote:
    Hope to Christ Germany win. If Italy go through really can't see my self being bothered to get up for the final.

Spain - Italy probably the best game of the tournament so far.

kryogen wrote: »
    I hope so, have tipped and back Germany since before the tournament so it would be nice to get a win there :)

Never discount the Italians of course, I have many, many criticisms of Gomez :D But he does know where the goal is, can't take that away from him

Trust me, I'd take a guy who scores 30 + goals a season at Chelsea at the drop of a hat, no matter how poor his overall game was once he put the ball in the net.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

i think italy will do ok for a half but germany will over run them eventually the two day advantage and italy had extra time is a massive factor, can see a 2-0 to germany

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Hopefully this game will end in 90 mins, fed up of sleeping at 3 AM.

Would love to see Germany in finals, Spain vs Germany, rematch of last Euro finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I hope Italy win. Ive quite liked their attitude in these finals and they were involved in he game of the tournament imo - Italy v Spain.

The Germans are favourites but I do fancy the Italians to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Both teams have given some breath taking performances so far in this tournament. Ozil, Pirlo and Schweinsteiger have been 3 of the top 5 players in the tournament for me.

I just hope we get a more attacking orientated game tonight. Last night was more the case of two teams cancelling each other out. Germany look the more balanced team, and at time's I feel Italy are lacking a clinical finisher. For all their chances they don't convert them often enough.

3-1 Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I've yet to be convinced by Germany this tournament. In my eyes (which I'll admit are probably tinted through the wrong filter) they should have been by beaten Portugal. They didn't play all that well against a poor Dutch team. I didn't see the Denmark game and I wasn't really convinced by their game against Greece. The level of control teams like Spain, Portugal and Italy have shown in their games just wasn't there. So in my eyes, this is Germany's first real test to see how good they really are. They have that few days extra rest but it shouldn't make that much of difference Italy have had 72 hours and that's when most of the recovery happens anyway.

Based on tournament performances so far I'm fancying Italy on this one. There is some phrase about writing off Germans though . . .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Almost everybody seems to think, that Germany are favorites tonight...well, maybe they are, but they won't wipe the floor with Italy, a tight win it should be.

And then bring on Spain and hopefully it will be third time lucky for Germany :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Germany to win 2-0. Gomez to seal his Golden Boot tonight as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Italy to go through. Pirlo to outplay Schweinsteiger in the middle of the park and with Cheilini back in the Italian defense they won't be easy to break down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Really just hope for a good knock-out match for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

1-0 to Germany, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

gosplan wrote: »
    Really just hope for a good knock-out match for a change.

For a change? They've all been interesting IMO (didn't see all of Spain - France though). It's unlikely that you'll get a high scoring game but like I was saying last night, a 0-0 can be easily as good as a 3-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

2-0 Germany

Either way, I'll be supporting the winner of this game in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭jacool

HazDanz wrote: »
    Italy to go through. Pirlo to outplay Schweinsteiger in the middle of the park and with Cheilini back in the Italian defense they won't be easy to break down.
    Pirlo can try and outplay Schweinsteiger all he likes!
    With Ozil, Khedira and possibly Muller in there, they will over run these over-rated Italians. Germany by at least 1, so I'll plump for 3-1, because the only area of weakness I see in the German squad is the back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

jacool wrote: »
    With Ozil, Khedira and possibly Muller in there, they will over run these over-rated Italians. Germany by at least 1, so I'll plump for 3-1, because the only area of weakness I see in the German squad is the back 4.

Over-rated by whom exactly? Pretty much everyone in this thread and the media thinks Germany will win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Easy win for Italy, 2-0 I'd say....pretty sure will be a nice open game between two team who actually play football, oppose to the boring over-rated Spanish team...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

2-1 to the Germans I reckon.

• Advertisement

jacool wrote: »

TBF to Italy they came into these finals and people genuinely thought we'd beat them in the final game to go through at their expense, thats how under-rated they were by the majoirty of Irish fans.

Italy have if anything been under rated as their overall play has been pretty good.

In no game they've played so far have they looked out of their depth and that includes the Spanish game.

They've a real chance tonight but I still fancy the Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I thought we'd draw with the Italians, I actually completely wrote them off, and never would have thought they'd beat England. Still think the Germans will win tonight. 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Hope Reus starts. Germany's quality in the wide areas is where they should win this game.

Am I right in saying Germany have never beaten Italy in a competitive game? Italy have 3 wins and there have been 4 draws?

Could be a first tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

The Germans will be too strong for the Italians with the 2 extra days rest being the difference....... 3-1 after extra time.

• Advertisement

aidan18 wrote: »
    The Germans will be too strong for the Italians with the 2 extra days rest being the difference....... 3-1 after extra time.

The extra rest days are being over estimated, you do your recovery etc in the first 72 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Any team news in yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Reus starting ahead of Müller according to Bild. Should have been that way from the start.

Edit: Bild predict this

Neuer;

Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm,

Khedira, Schweini,

Reus, Özil, Podolski,

Klose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

If Italy play a back 4 with Chiellini at LB I think the wingers have to be Reus and Poldi. Would also start Klose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Is Gomez injured? Why the reluctance to start him? I'm actually not a big fan of his, but tournament form is something not to be underestimated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Gomez's workrate and game outside of the penalty box leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Come on Italy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Thought klose had a great game against Greece and certainly offers more outside the box, would love to see him start have been a big fan through the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

G.K. wrote: »
    Gomez's workrate and game outside of the penalty box leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm amazed by his lack of time on the ball, especially for a team which has dominated every match they've played in bar the Netherlands one.

I didn't really notice it until after the games. Does he just run away from the ball or what? I'd get on the ball for more than 5 seconds in a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I like both teams I just want Italy to have more possession for a bet.

Could be a cracker.

Germany in extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

G.K. wrote: »

This workrate thingy seems to be more of a British Isles obsession. Don't think it matters when he scores bucketloads for Bayern and Germany. Ibrahimovic has to face the same criticism for years, despite being one of the great forwards of this era.

It really isn't that important, if you have got the class.

6% - Germany have played a smaller proportion of long passes (> 35 yards) than any other team at Euro 2012.

I never thought that they'd be leading this statistic. I was sure that Spain had it wrapped up. They never seem to pass the ball more than 20 yards. Germany's reluctance to pass long shows in their pass completion statistics, 77% of their 2667 passes have been accurate.

The possession stats for tonights game will be interesting. Germany have averaged 59.8% possession, and Italy have averaged 55.5%. One team has to give way. I'm fancying Germany to top the possession stats and for them to win the match as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Gomez starts.

No Abate for Italy, Chiellini is back though.

Germany XI v Italy: Neuer; Boateng Hummels Badstuber Lahm; Khedira Schweinsteiger - Kroos Ozil Podolski - Gomez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Is Muller injured or just been dropped ?

I wonder will Kroos be asked to try mark Pirlo ? I'd trust him more than Ozil to do that tbh .

• Advertisement
Advertisement