Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v Italy

167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

dfx- wrote: »
    Boskowski wrote: »
    Germany '76?

Sorry, I must have misheard the commentator after the game the other night when he was telling stats.

Nice article dfx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Renn wrote: »
    Ah so by comfortable you actually mean a 1 goal lead vs a team still creating chances vs you (and the only team to score a goal against you in the entire tournament).

Di Natale had a great chance as did Marchisio (who's chance at 88mins was with 5 guys breaking forward with speed, not looking too tired at all).

If Spain went 2-1 up, they would have won the game comfortably at that stage. The only reason Italy were getting chances was because the game was level and Spain were occasionally leaving gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

If Italy went 2-1 up, they would have won the game comfortably at that stage. The only reason Spain were getting chances was because the game was level and Italy were occasionally leaving gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Fwiw, I do think Italy were a little unsettled by the introduction of Torres but still held their own and managed to create chances just like Spain were doing. Impossible to say if either team scored at 80mins would they have held on - but yeah, I can imagine either team shutting up shop at that stage.

Spain had far more chances than Italy in that period and should have scored one of them.

Anyway, Italy had already taken the lead in that game and held onto it for all of what, a couple of minutes? Can't say they would have won comfortably if they went 2-1 up.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet is that Italy only have 2 full days rest before the final. Not ideal at all when you're playing Spain. Both teams should have at least 3 days rest before the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Blatter wrote: »
    One thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet is that Italy only have 2 full days rest before the final. Not ideal at all when you're playing Spain. Both teams should have at least 3 days rest before the final.

I don't think, the rest period between two matches is always decisive. Germany had two days off more than Italy, and who won the match? ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I don't think, the rest period between two matches is always decisive. Germany had two days off more than Italy, and who won the match? ;)

You're right in that it's not always decisive and I think as long as a team gets at least 3 full days it shouldn't play too big a part but 2 days rest and 3rd game in 7 days for Italy at the end of a long tournament, Spain are the last team they would want to face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Lars1916 wrote: »

As a rule of thumb, agreed. However, it seems to be the consensus with conditioning people (I think) that you need least 3 days off, but beyond that, as long as it is at least 3, the extra days are of surprisingly little importance.

Advertisement