Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Identifying plant in garden

Options
  • 28-06-2012 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

In a front flowerbed (or at least what I intend on being one) there are loads of these things. I cleared out all the weeds and left them as they have small orange buds on top that I'm hoping will turn into flowers?
    My wife reckons they are weeds though and I should get rid and plant something like marigolds etc.

So anyone know what these are?

210681.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

They look a bit like Gladioli , from previous years.Google their images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Looks like crocosmia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Another vote for crocosmia here. I'm quite fond of it, but it tends to take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

yeah they do take over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Yes - they are crocosmia -- also known as mont bretia - they are the flowers that grow wild in parts of west Cork and Kerry. There are cultivated varieties as well but the pics look like the ordinary "wild" form.
    They are very very invasive and will smother everything if you don't get rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yes Crocosmia would seem to be right from looking at the pictures on google. A few at the back might be nice as they grow quite tall, a job for Saturday :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They are the same family but quite different. The common orange montbretia is a total weed - pretty, about 18" high, but you need a big wild garden to cope with it. I have an ongoing war with both montbretia and Spanish bluebells which would like to take over completely.

Crocosmia is vigorous but at least twice as big, and also rather invasive. It is generally a bit big for an ordinary suburban garden, though it will give a bright splash of colour if you can accommodate it.

There is a yellow montbretia which is clump forming and not invasive - I have a clump that is slowly getting bigger but is not spreading everywhere.

Judging by the scale of your plants compared with the lupin, and looking at the shape of the flowerhead, I'd say that is a crocosmia. If you want to dig it up entirely you will have to go fairly deep and get out all the corms. I'd say you could leave a clump and keep it in one spot. Crocosmia and marigolds would be a rather eye-watering combination!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Advertisement