Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls to 1890 number

Options
  • 28-06-2012 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

I wonder if someone could give me some advice here.

I work in my own office in a rural location and my only form of phone communication is via my mobile.

Recently, I started a new contract with a company who do all their conference calls via a 'locall' 1890 conf call service. This service does not have a fixed number to call.

Anyway, the costs from my mobile for this is circa 30 cent a minute. So this can be nearly €18 for an hour conf call of which I may have to do several per day.

My last contract was with a German company and their conf calls were 1c a minute to a fixed German phone (via Call13434).

I have tried all the operators and card services etc and no one seems to be able to offer cheap 1890 services. Even skype does not allow it.

Has anyone had this problem or know a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

I wonder if someone could give me some advice here.

I work in my own office in a rural location and my only form of phone communication is via my mobile.

Recently, I started a new contract with a company who do all their conference calls via a 'locall' 1890 conf call service. This service does not have a fixed number to call.

Anyway, the costs from my mobile for this is circa 30 cent a minute. So this can be nearly €18 for an hour conf call of which I may have to do several per day.

My last contract was with a German company and their conf calls were 1c a minute to a fixed German phone (via Call13434).

I have tried all the operators and card services etc and no one seems to be able to offer cheap 1890 services. Even skype does not allow it.

Has anyone had this problem or know a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Morning Westcoast66,
    The mobile operators love charging for those type of calls. If you can’t get a fixed line/regular number to call, here’s a couple of suggestions….

1) Get a landline installed. I use Digiweb.ie at the moment and their per minute 1890 prices are peak 3.32c, off-peak 1.34c and weekend 1.34c prices (inc VAT - www.digiweb.ie/callcharges/callcharges.pdf). The service I use gives me loads of free local/national calls and includes fixed line broadband and line rental.
    2) Have you got a broadband service? If yes you could get a VoIP service. I use GoldFish.ie. I’ve an Irish and a UK number with them and the service is A1. I just called them and their 1890 costs are peak 9c and off-peak 5c (ex VAT). To get a number from them would only cost €2.50, ex VAT per month. You could either use them as a “Pay-as-you-go” or take one of their call plans. I use this service both on my smart phone (Samsung Galaxy SII) and via a VoIP handset (Siemens Gigaset C450IP) on my desk.

Either option would save you money. If option 1 is not an runner option 2 will work over a 3G mobile data connection.

If you are using a mobile data connection tongle get a signal booster that’ll also act as a WiFi router. The guys in your local mobile shop should have them. A number of my friends/family use the one from “3”. You could then work/call from anywhere in the house without dropping your connection.

Hope this is of some use.

Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭bon ami

Check with your mobile provider to see if they include calls to 0818 numbers in your bundle or what they charge per minute for calls to 0818 from a mobile. If it is cheaper than your charges to 1890 then contact Tony in Kendlebell in Naas - they do conference calling on 0818 numebrs .

Advertisement