Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing Flats - who needs them?

• 28-06-2012 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Not that I need a new pair of shoes at the moment (just bought a new pair of my beloved Brooks Ghosts last week), but I was wondering how often would you need to be racing short distances & how fast would you need to be running to get any benefit from racing flats?

Comments

light shoes definitely make a difference in running. if you have a reasonably neutral gait you could wear these for 5k and 10k. If you're a very efficient runner you could wear them for 1/2 marathon and even full. Only really needed if you're doing races. If you are doing 2 or 3 5k or 10k or around that distance a year then surely worth having a pair. other option is to have a light pair of shoes that aren't flats - something like the Saucony Kinvara - great for racing and general use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

glasso wrote: »
    Only really needed if you're doing races. If you are doing 2 or 3 5k or 10k or around that distance a year then surely worth having a pair. other option is to have a light pair of shoes that aren't flats - something like the Saucony Kinvara - great for racing and general use.

Hmmm, I probably race enough to get a pair then (I've done about 24 or 25 races of 10k or less this year), but I'm not sure how efficient a runner I am, or if I'm fast enough for them to make a difference. I don't think I'd run 10k in them, I was thinking of them for races of up to about 3 miles. Maybe I'll try on the Kinvaras the next time I'm shoe shopping. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hmmm, I probably race enough to get a pair then (I've done about 24 or 25 races of 10k or less this year), but I'm not sure how efficient a runner I am, or if I'm fast enough for them to make a difference. I don't think I'd run 10k in them, I was thinking of them for races of up to about 3 miles. Maybe I'll try on the Kinvaras the next time I'm shoe shopping. Thanks for the suggestion!

Flats will make a difference to everyone in terms of speed. The shoes are lighter so there is no such thing as 'not being fast enough' to wear flats. In fact the slower you are the more speed they will give you....for the top guys they reckon it can cut about 3-4 seconds/mile off your time, so for slower runners this could translate as 5-6 seconds/mile.

I am far from an elite runner but I would use flats for pretty much every run, from recovery runs to races and have worn them over Ultras. If you normally wear neutral shoes they should cause you little problems. If you normally wear stability shoes you might have to stick with only shorter races (though you can get some flats with support).

Flats are essential just ultra light trainers but many of them have loads of cushioning (like Nike Lunarracers0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Definitely wear racing flats. You're giving away such an advantage to those around you in races who are wearing them. Even if you're not so efficient right now I'd start wearing them as I found that the more you wear them the more efficient you become. You gotta be careful of course, I mean dont try a half marathon in flats straight off the bat, test them out in a 5 or 10k. Your calves and quads will probably be a bit sore so it would be an idea to schedule a non runnng day the following day.
    The kinvaras are training shoes, fairly light ones but still training shoes. For racing you should look in the direction of asics DS racers, Mizuno ronin, Brooks ST5s, or adidas adizeros. Then after a while go for lighter shoes like Brooks T7s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

menoscemo wrote: »
    Flats will make a difference to everyone in terms of speed. The shoes are lighter so there is no such thing as 'not being fast enough' to wear flats. In fact the slower you are the more speed they will give you....for the top guys they reckon it can cut about 3-4 seconds/mile off your time, so for slower runners this could translate as 5-6 seconds/mile.

I am far from an elite runner but I would use flats for pretty much every run, from recovery runs to races and have worn them over Ultras. If you normally wear neutral shoes they should cause you little problems. If you normally wear stability shoes you might have to stick with only shorter races (though you can get some flats with support).

Flats are essential just ultra light trainers but many of them have loads of cushioning (like Nike Lunarracers0.

I agree with a lot of what Meno says but I am not convinced that the improvement for slower runners is greater than for top guys - it may still only be 3-4 secs /mile.

One benefit of flats, is that they weigh less and therefore being lighter we can run faster. An arguement often made is that for non-elite runners the weight benefit is marginal and that we are better off focusing on losing weight elsewhere.

A secondary benefit of flats is that they promote better mechanics - not them lads that fix your car - but how your body moves. Because they are generally minimalist (low heel to toe drop), you will tend to run less on your heels.

However the downside to flats is that they are generally less supportive and with less cushioning, also because they change the way you run you may find aches and strains. Starting to use racing flats is a bit like transitioning to minimalist shoes - it's not for everyone and needs to be done with care.

In my case I bought my first pair of racing flats last May and wore them in 5 races last year (and 6 training sessions), all 10K or less. Certainly the first few times I felt strains as a result but I think they helped me run faster, but I know I would not have been ready for them before then.

So the real question is not "do I need racing flats" but "am I ready for racing flats" - only you can decide that.

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    So the real question is not "do I need racing flats" but "am I ready for racing flats" - only you can decide that.

I think I'm not ready, especially not psychologically. I'd feel sort of sheepish putting them on when I'm not a six-minute miler or anything.

Thanks everyone for the info though, I'll definitely consider them in a year or so.

I think I'm not ready, especially not psychologically. I'd feel sort of sheepish putting them on when I'm not a six-minute miler or anything.

Thanks everyone for the info though, I'll definitely consider them in a year or so.

Its your choice of course but I think you're allowing yourself to be intimidated a little bit by names and categories of shoes. I wasnt ready either when I tried my first pair of racing shoes, but I took a leap of faith and it worked out just fine. Like I said, its your call but at the same time dont fall into the trap of thinking that you have to feel ready, because a lot of the time you wont feel it. Sure theres risks but there always is when you're trying to progress. I think Brooks ST5 would be a perfect shoe to tip your toe into. They're light enough to be consdered a racing shoe but they have a fair bit of support in them. Honestly I cant imagine you having any problems whatsoever with them. And maybe after a while, when you're a little more confident you could graduate to a lighter shoe.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Racer-ST-5/100018,default,pd.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The people in front of you won't see your shoes and the ones behind won't know the difference :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Give some lighter shoes a go. Even if you don't go all the way down to racing flats, get a pair of shoes that have less cushioning and support, and try them on your next 5k or 10k. If they don't give you trouble (and they almost certainly won't) go down another level and use your medium shoes for faster training sessions.

(I have two pairs of heavier runners, Mizuno Inspire and Brooks Adrenaline, that I use for longer and easier runs, a pair of Mizuno Elixir for club training sessions - and probably the half marathon, and a pair of Mizuno Ronin for races)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Brooks ghost are a neutral shoe so you should be fine with a transition from them.

ST5 and adidas tempo are both good flats and have a teeny bit of support in them. You could have a look at the brooks pureproject range as well to take a look at lighter training shoes.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. I was reading an article in Runner’s World about racing flats, that’s what sparked my query off. Maybe I will investigate all the shoes recommended in this thread and consider buying a pair. I’ve just bought shoes, so it won’t be for a while though! If & when I do, I’ll definitely try to phase them in gradually over shorter distances. I know it’s different (because you have the soft ground cushioning you) but I actually really like the lightness of my cross country spikes, so maybe I’ll love flats too …

Thanks, everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

ha there is nothing like putting on a pair of bright orange shoes for the first time and thinking "these are way faster looking than I am".

Id go along with what meno said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

tunguska wrote: »
    Definitely wear racing flats. You're giving away such an advantage to those around you in races who are wearing them. Even if you're not so efficient right now I'd start wearing them as I found that the more you wear them the more efficient you become. You gotta be careful of course, I mean dont try a half marathon in flats straight off the bat, test them out in a 5 or 10k. Your calves and quads will probably be a bit sore so it would be an idea to schedule a non runnng day the following day.
    The kinvaras are training shoes, fairly light ones but still training shoes. For racing you should look in the direction of asics DS racers, Mizuno ronin, Brooks ST5s, or adidas adizeros. Then after a while go for lighter shoes like Brooks T7s

Just asking as I'm a bit green to the techy side of shoes, but what makes the Kinvara a training shoe & the ST5 a racer if the Kinvara is lighter & has smaller heel to toe drop (I think)

Or I suppose the question should be what makes a shoe a racing shoe?

antomagoo wrote: »

flashy colours!!!

Just asking as I'm a bit green to the techy side of shoes, but what makes the Kinvara a training shoe & the ST5 a racer if the Kinvara is lighter & has smaller heel to toe drop (I think)

Yeah the st5s are slightly heavier(240g compared to 215g for kinvara) but Im not so sure about the heel - toe drop, I think ST5s is smaller. Kinvaras are fairly light but they do have a fair bit of cushioning. I mean its probably six of one and half a dozen of the other between the two shoes for what the OP is looking to do. They're both good gateway shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tunguska wrote: »
    Yeah the st5s are slightly heavier(240g compared to 215g for kinvara) but Im not so sure about the heel - toe drop, I think ST5s is smaller. Kinvaras are fairly light but they do have a fair bit of cushioning. I mean its probably six of one and half a dozen of the other between the two shoes for what the OP is looking to do. They're both good gateway shoes.

Kinavaras have a 4mm heel to toe drop. http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-SKN3M3.html
    St5s have a 12mm heel to toe drop.
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-BST5M2.html

You won't find many shoes with a lesser heel to toe drop than Kinvaras. You might think they are a trainer but they are lighter and flatter than most racing flats on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Most racing flats will weight around 230grams or less and your right about the bright colours :D

Go into a store and try some on and have a test instore if you can.
    like alot of running shoes you will get a great feel instantly when you try them on.
    everyone has listed a good range there and as Raycun says a performace shoe can be a nice shoe to start with and you can train in it also.
    RQ the Tempo isn't a racing flat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Wikipedia is your friend.

Racing flats are lightweight athletic shoes designed for "long distance" track and field, cross country, and most often, road races. They differ from normal training shoes mainly by the lack of a substantial heel (hence the name). They are also a great deal less durable and typically last half to a quarter of the distance of a normal training shoe (125–250 miles or 200-400 kilometers).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_flat

RQ the Tempo isn't a racing flat :rolleyes:

I agree. Adidas and most retailers don't. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Wikipedia is your friend.

Racing flats are lightweight athletic shoes designed for "long distance" track and field, cross country, and most often, road races. They differ from normal training shoes mainly by the lack of a substantial heel (hence the name). They are also a great deal less durable and typically last half to a quarter of the distance of a normal training shoe (125–250 miles or 200-400 kilometers).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_flat

Wikipedia is no friend of mine with its half truths like Pat Kenny is from outer space

• Advertisement

Saucony Kinvara is a great light shoe full stop. It is cushioned but as also noted by other posters has a low enough heel to toe differential (drop) which will make you more likely to run with a midfoot or forefoot strike than something with a 10mm + difference heel-to-toe. It can be used as a racer and as a training shoe. You won't go much faster in the lightest, flattest racer than you will go in this shoe. Unless you really want to get in barefoot running (0mm drop with very minimal or no cushioning) you can't do much better imo. It's also pretty durable and will last a fair few miles more than a true racing flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

These are the flats I got recently. They are very light which is why I got them for my sprint reps. 160g. I know bugger all about racing flats. Would this be on the extreme lower weight end of the spectrum for racing flats? It's certainly taking me time to get used to having my calves under such pressure for multiple sprint reps in such a short time frame.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    These are the flats I got recently. They are very light which is why I got them for my sprint reps. 160g. I know bugger all about racing flats. Would this be on the extreme lower weight end of the spectrum for racing flats? It's certainly taking me time to get used to having my calves under such pressure for multiple sprint reps in such a short time frame.

they are pretty light but there are even lighter shoes out there. for example there is the nike mayfly which is only designed to last 60 miles.

Ah i have been looking to get those but you can't get them in Europe for love nor money. They look like a great flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Mizuno Universe 108 grams

Asics Pirahana 120 grams

Im using the Adidas Haggio which is 170 grams right now.Find them great up to 10k distance so far.

Mizuno Universe 108 grams

Asics Pirahana 120 grams

You've been holding out on me man, We need to talk about these Universe shoes.........

ya but the universes cost a bomb!

Im using the Adidas Haggio which is 170 grams right now.Find them great up to 10k distance so far.

You got them in the shop? Had my eyes on them...

Also, how do you find the universe? They're the mizuno shoes I considered giving mizuno a second chance for. Read some good reviews about the update at the start of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Has anyone ever use orthodics in flats? Currently moved to Brooks Ghost with my orthodics and find them great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Has anyone ever use orthodics in flats? Currently moved to Brooks Ghost with my orthodics and find them great.

Bought a pair of brooks racer st 5 at the weekend. Looking forward to running in them.

Advertisement