Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing Flats - who needs them?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hello

Thanks again to everyone for their recommendations. I placed in a race at my club for the first time ever last night (only because some faster women didn't turn up, but anyway!), so maybe it is time for flats ...

Anyway, saw this and thought people might be interested:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/kit/summer-racing-shoes-reviews/8482.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I would go with the saucony grid typeA5 out of those id say. looks to be a great shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

BobMac104 wrote: »
    I would go with the saucony grid typeA5 out of those id say. looks to be a great shoe.

Been racing in them this year. Love em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hello

Thanks again to everyone for their recommendations. I placed in a race at my club for the first time ever last night (only because some faster women didn't turn up, but anyway!), so maybe it is time for flats ...

Anyway, saw this and thought people might be interested:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/kit/summer-racing-shoes-reviews/8482.html

Congrats Helenanne, I'm delighted for you, your hard work is paying off.

Thanks also for starting this thread... It prompted me to head to Amphibian King to get a recommendation as I'd been wearing the same type of asics since I've started running. I got mizuno wave inspire, not racing flats but a lot lighter than what I'd been wearing. I'll let you know how they work out

Marthastew wrote: »
    Congrats Helenanne, I'm delighted for you, your hard work is paying off.

.... I got mizuno wave inspire, not racing flats but a lot lighter than what I'd been wearing. I'll let you know how they work out

Thank you! And hope the Mizunos work out well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

antomagoo wrote: »
    Just asking as I'm a bit green to the techy side of shoes, but what makes the Kinvara a training shoe & the ST5 a racer if the Kinvara is lighter & has smaller heel to toe drop (I think)

You are right on the smaller profile of the Kinvara.

The Kinvara is considered more of a light weight minimalist shoe better suited to training than racing. Where the Brooks ST5 is more suited to racing than training.

Why? It depends on what you want or like in a racing shoe. Most racing shoes are typically light and low profile by nature (same as minimalist or natural shoes). The extra feature of a racing shoe is that they usually have a firmer sole and forefoot which provides more response when toeing off.

Rather than a cushioned sole which absorbs energy the firmer sole of racers allows a good transfer of energy from the foot to the ground resulting in a more positive push off and faster movement. There is, lies the main difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

You are right on the smaller profile of the Kinvara.

The Kinvara is considered more of a light weight minimalist shoe better suited to training than racing. Where the Brooks ST5 is more suited to racing than training.

Hi Amphkingwest: is the Brooks ST5 (which I find great for racing) a suitable shoe for the marathon? The longest race I've run in them is a half-marathon and I found my calf's very tight for a couple of days afterwards. Not sure if this was down to the race, the shoe or both but would appreciate your thoughts. BTW, my time was under 90 minutes and I weigh approx 11 stone. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

carlton36 wrote: »
    Hi Amphkingwest: is the Brooks ST5 (which I find great for racing) a suitable shoe for the marathon? The longest race I've run in them is a half-marathon and I found my calf's very tight for a couple of days afterwards. Not sure if this was down to the race, the shoe or both but would appreciate your thoughts. BTW, my time was under 90 minutes and I weigh approx 11 stone. Thanks

I know your question was asked to amphkingwest, but if it is any use to you, i am a similar sub90 half / 11 stone runner and have used the st5 (old and new models) for two full marathons and found them great. My legs weren't particularly beaten up after either of them (well - no more than you'd expect) - but we are all different.

tunguska wrote: »
    I think Brooks ST5 would be a perfect shoe to tip your toe into. They're light enough to be consdered a racing shoe but they have a fair bit of support in them. Honestly I cant imagine you having any problems whatsoever with them. And maybe after a while, when you're a little more confident you could graduate to a lighter shoe.
    Got the Brooks ST5 yesterday. Ran 4 miles in them when I got them home and loved them. No aches & pains today, so I think I'll wear them in my next short race.
    Tried on the Kinvaras and also loved them, but I felt the heel tab was rubbing even just on a run around the car park, so I went with the Brooks. Thanks everyone for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Hi HA
    I got a pair of ST5's about 6 weeks ago and I love them too. Initially I just used them for intervals and tempo runs, but I raced the Kilomarathon and Longford Half in them recently without any issues. I haven't started to wear them on my LSR's but I wouldn't have any concerns about doing so.
    For me it also came down to a choice between the ST5's and the Kinvaras, our friends in AK let me take both pairs down the road for a a quick test drive, but the ST5's just felt right and I haven't looked back.
    Well wear!

• Advertisement

Thank you, Brooks ST Racers - I placed in a race tonight in they first outing (tiny club race, and the two women usually ahead of me weren't running tonight, but still, vote of confidence for the shoes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Racing flats are awesome ! Took a big chunk off 1 mile and 2 mile PBs recently wearing a pair of Saucony Fastwich :). No adverse effects in the calves after, if anything the body felt better after racing in these than it normally would in my heavier Saucony Hurricanes.

My question is, I've a 10K coming up and am considering racing in the flats. Am I tempting fate (5K is the most I've done in them before) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you felt fine after 5k you should be okay for 10k, though you'll probably feel it more next day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I've raced 10 miles and half marathon in the Saucony Fastwich and no problems afterwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've done 50k in them, woundknee has done 100k in them. Fastwitch are fine for long distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Picked up a pair of Saucony Grid Lightspeed off the Amphibian King lads for next to nothing last Saturday (Cheers Kevin :D). Have only been wearing them around the house, but hoping to give them a try at the Rathfarnham 5K

Advertisement