Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for work (I.T.) at the end of the year

Options
  • 28-06-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi.

I think I'll be arriving in Oz around November or December, I'll be looking for I.T. work if all goes according to plan.

Just wondering - is this a bad time of year to be looking for work in Sydney?
    A friend of mine mentioned that it wouldn't be ideal.
    Would I be better off arriving in January?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

In a word, yes.

Recruitment in Oz is at its slowest in December and January and practically everyone takes a few weeks holidays over Christmas/New Year. You could get lucky and land a job on your first day but your odds are way better if you hold off until late January/early February.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If you are a Java programmer give me a shout, we are always looking for people

but otherwise before Xmas is very slow, things pick up after Jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

It's been so long since I've programmed in Java I've just realised I've forgotten hello world . .

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

hussey wrote: »
    If you are a Java programmer give me a shout, we are always looking for people

but otherwise before Xmas is very slow, things pick up after Jan
    Zambia wrote: »
    It's been so long since I've programmed in Java I've just realised I've forgotten hello world . .

Nah I'm a tester, mainly automation stuff.

I think I'll just travel around Asia or somewhere until January/February, don't want to risk running out of money because I landed in the worst possible month.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bogwarryor

3 months of looking in Sydney feb to april couldnt get anything, 1st day in Melbourne I had 2 offers.

A friend of mine was there 6 months earlier & had plenty of offers, he wanted a change around the same time as me & couldnt get anything.

Melbourne is generally better for IT as all the main companies are down here. 3 of the main banks let 500 IT people go each in Sydney recently so theres a lot of competition there. Also the age reported a huge drop in IT jobs all along the eastern seaboard last week.

My recomendation is to try & job hunt off peak, same with apt hunting its much easier so why not keep travelling for a few months or come earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Have you any links for th 500 IT staff let go from the banks and the drop in IT jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Bogwarryor wrote: »
    3 months of looking in Sydney feb to april couldnt get anything, 1st day in Melbourne I had 2 offers.

A friend of mine was there 6 months earlier & had plenty of offers, he wanted a change around the same time as me & couldnt get anything.

Melbourne is generally better for IT as all the main companies are down here. 3 of the main banks let 500 IT people go each in Sydney recently so theres a lot of competition there. Also the age reported a huge drop in IT jobs all along the eastern seaboard last week.

My recomendation is to try & job hunt off peak, same with apt hunting its much easier so why not keep travelling for a few months or come earlier?

Hhmmm, well I guess I'll be planning as I go along, i.e. see how the money goes when I'm messing around in Asia, if I'm managing cash well I might stay an extra month or so.

When I get to Oz, I have no preference as to which of the 2 major cities I work, so I might spend a few weeks in Sydney looking for work, if it's not going well I'll try Melbourne.

Cheers for that.

Advertisement