Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Fan/heatsink

Options
  • 28-06-2012 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I'm upgrading my CPU from Intel E4300 to Q6600. I don't have a stock HSF for Q6600 so I was thinking about using my E4300 stock HSF.
    Will this work (how safe would it be)?
    BTW I'm not planing to overclock Q6600.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I might have a 775 compatible stock heatsink lying around. if I dig it out, its yours if you pay for the postage.

either way, you can get impressive replacements for €15 these days.

you can try it out and monitor temps, but I'd expect the fan to be pretty loud trying to dissipate the extra load.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TomasMan

Thanks but like I said I already have stock cooler+fan from my E4300. I just didn't know are they all the same (775) cooler fans.
    I might just get Zalman or something else. Its just that I'm getting my new CPU today and I wanted to use it straight away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

As Tea said, the stock fan will work so you can start using the CPU straight away.

But it might run a little hot.
    When you have the CPU running download Core Temp and see what temperatures your getting, if the temps are high then you can consider buying an after-market cooler.

I have a Q6600 on it's stock cooler and it runs at about 45 degrees at idle. That's from memory now, I haven't checked in awhile and don't have access to it atm. So if your getting temps around that with the stock E4300 cooler then your okay.

Advertisement