Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes in the Garden

• 28-06-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My sister is having a problem at the moment with Foxes in her garden and just looking for some advice as how to get rid as she has just had a baby and is worried bout it being in the garden.

The fox appears to have set up some kind of nest in the bushes at the back of the garden and I am assuming that they can get very vicious if theres pups near.
    We have already called the DSPCA and Dub city council for advice and they just say - its not our problem!.

Does anyone know who we should contact about this? Normally we would just leave it be but with the new baby in the house she is panicing that it could get into the house as it is already so close to the house.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The fox won't come near the child and will not enter the house.

Don't leave out food for the fox, or otherwise encourage it. You can instill fear in the fox by shouting at it whenever you see it in the garden, this will doubly ensure that it won't come near the house.

There have been some cases of foxes entering homes, but this is through ground floor windows left open overnight and almost exclusively in urban areas where there are few if any gardens.

If she's really worried then she can arrange to capture the fox herself and work with the DSPCA to release it elsewhere, but this may not work and the fox may just return to the garden.

She could also get a dog; the foxes won't hang around long if there's a dog in the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

seamus wrote: »
    ALtho it is unlikely i wouldnt say its a definate especially if the fox has been fed by humans or had contact before. if there is food in the house it will smell it even with doors and windows closed. i wouldnt take the chance myself.
    Don't leave out food for the fox, or otherwise encourage it. You can instill fear in the fox by shouting at it whenever you see it in the garden, this will doubly ensure that it won't come near the house.
    good advise, if you scare them enough they will not come back. water pistol, shout and chace it ect
    If she's really worried then she can arrange to capture the fox herself and work with the DSPCA to release it elsewhere, but this may not work and the fox may just return to the garden.
    this wont be possible iirc its illegal to relese them after they have been caught. happy to be proven wrong on that tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Thanks for the replies.
    Not going to be encouraging it in anyway, never been fed by any of us or the neighbours (or so they claim).
    Dog is not an option as my sister is allergic so will just try sheeww it off when we see it, its prob one of the biggest i've seen around thats why we worried.

ALtho it is unlikely i wouldnt say its a definate especially if the fox has been fed by humans or had contact before.
    It is exceptionally unlikely though. The odds are many thousands of times greater that a neighbour's cat will come in through an open window and smother the child. Which in itself is a ridiculously unlikely event.

I understand the OP's sister's heightened fear and sensitivity with a newborn, but she's worrying about something which is being-struck-by-lightning unlikely.

In the garden, typical vigilance applies. There's a suggestion that hungry fox may steal a newborn infant, but that has never, ever happened and you wouldn't be leaving a baby alone in a garden anyway.

You just need to watch out for the fox's poo when the child is crawling. Once the child is running around on their own and making noise, there is no risk whatsoever that the fox would come near them.
    this wont be possible iirc its illegal to relese them after they have been caught. happy to be proven wrong on that tho
    I do know some rescues will trap an injured fox and re-release it when it's been fixed, but afaik they release it back where they found it. I'm not sure of the legalities myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

She could also get a dog; the foxes won't hang around long if there's a dog in the garden.

This does not always work. When I lived in London I had 2 dogs but still had foxes in the garden. The dogs used to chase the fox but as soon as the dogs were indoors the foxes reappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I think this would be better posted in the Nature and Birdwatching forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It is exceptionally unlikely though. The odds are many thousands of times greater that a neighbour's cat will come in through an open window and smother the child. Which in itself is a ridiculously unlikely event.

I understand the OP's sister's heightened fear and sensitivity with a newborn, but she's worrying about something which is being-struck-by-lightning unlikely.

In the garden, typical vigilance applies. There's a suggestion that hungry fox may steal a newborn infant, but that has never, ever happened and you wouldn't be leaving a baby alone in a garden anyway.

You just need to watch out for the fox's poo when the child is crawling. Once the child is running around on their own and making noise, there is no risk whatsoever that the fox would come near them.
    I do know some rescues will trap an injured fox and re-release it when it's been fixed, but afaik they release it back where they found it. I'm not sure of the legalities myself.

I'm not so sure.

OP I'd be vigilant if I were you and certainly DO NOT encourage them by feeding them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10251349

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2078419.stm

Ah I know it wouldnt eat the baby, but have just heard of attacks and would rather be safe then sorry.

I've called the DSPCA for advice and they said they would only help us if the aminal was injured, so no help there.

vicwatson wrote: »
    I'm not so sure.
    OP I'd be vigilant if I were you and certainly DO NOT encourage them by feeding them.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10251349
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2078419.stm
    Two reported attacks in 8 years. Like I say, unlikely. At least 30 people per year report being hit by lightning in the UK.
    It's just not something that's worth concerning yourself about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've removed some posts - post seriously and within the charter or not at all.
    Also don't reply to problem posts, just report them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Almost zero chance of anything happening. When I was a child, I had a young fox as a pet, it's mother got hit by a car. They're naturally fairly wary of human contact <snip>, but they can be nosey too. Nice animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

noddyone2 wrote: »
    Almost zero chance of anything happening. When I was a child, I had a young fox as a pet, it's mother got hit by a car. They're naturally fairly wary of human contact <snip>, but they can be nosey too. Nice animals.

To a mother,almost zero is not good enough. Not by a long way.

Is the garden securely fenced? You can keep a close eye on the boundaries then..for burrowing etc.... Or securely fence an area within the garden easily accessed from the house, with a gate to the rest.

Its a sealed walled garden, but there is thick bushes down the bottom of the garden where it is hiding. Dont know whether there is a way there that it is getting in.

The bushes are going to be cut out. Like you said its not worth the risk espec with any kind of wild animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Naid23 wrote: »
    The bushes are going to be cut out. Like you said its not worth the risk espec with any kind of wild animal.

:eek: Why???

A fox can climb/jump over any wall, so cutting out some bushes isn't going to solve the problem.

Foxes are naturally timid & aloof animals - they only get gutsy if they're desperate. Depending on where the house is (i.e.: rural or urban) if the fox has somewhere else to go they likely will. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone. Or worst case, just leave the windows/doors closed where they could get in, but leave the bushes alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Guys I'll ask that people not go down the road of hunters or shooting or digs at that type of thing please. It goes against the forum charter. thank you

Ayla wrote: »
    :eek: Why???

A fox can climb/jump over any wall, so cutting out some bushes isn't going to solve the problem.

Foxes are naturally timid & aloof animals - they only get gutsy if they're desperate. Depending on where the house is (i.e.: rural or urban) if the fox has somewhere else to go they likely will. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone. Or worst case, just leave the windows/doors closed where they could get in, but leave the bushes alone!

Removing the bushes is common sense as it increases visibility and that alone will discourage the fox.

Far better that being in with all windows closed.

For peace of mind this will help. And this is what this is about; total safety and peace of mind. I would do the same OP.

Do you have security lights also?

Two reported attacks in 8 years. Like I say, unlikely. At least 30 people per year report being hit by lightning in the UK.
    It's just not something that's worth concerning yourself about.

Two that I found by googling in 5 seconds.

As a parent I wouldn't take any chances at all. Everyone is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Honestly , the hysteria that some parents experience over nothing - this is the same mindset that sees pets PTS or kicked out when a baby arrives because hysterical parents worry that ' something ' might happen.

There is a greater chance of winning the Euromillions than a child being attacked by a fox. If parents are concerned all they need do is keep doors and windows shut ( which they probably do anyway for fear that a fly might land near their child ).

All this angst over nothing.........

Delancey wrote: »
    Honestly , the hysteria that some parents experience over nothing - this is the same mindset that sees pets PTS or kicked out when a baby arrives because hysterical parents worry that ' something ' might happen.

There is a greater chance of winning the Euromillions than a child being attacked by a fox. If parents are concerned all they need do is keep doors and windows shut ( which they probably do anyway for fear that a fly might land near their child ).

All this angst over nothing.........

The OP has legitimate concerns, this doesn't address any of them

vicwatson wrote: »
    As a parent I wouldn't take any chances at all.
    In that case, I have a rock to sell you. It keeps tigers away.

Yes, I'm being glib. As a soon-to-be-parent, I don't plan on spending my days worrying about things like an ebola outbreak, kidnappings by muslim terrorists or attacks from foxes. I will retain what will be left of my sanity to worry about real dangers.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm being glib. As a soon-to-be-parent, I don't plan on spending my days worrying about things like an ebola outbreak, kidnappings by muslim terrorists or attacks from foxes. I will retain what will be left of my sanity to worry about real dangers.

This comes across as so patronising and facetious, as do other posts. Fact; there is a fox living in the garden. Is there one living in your garden?

If this were so here, with our cats etc,I would be worried.

It is not hysteria; it is safety and peace of mind.

A few rentals ago, we had badgers living very close to the house. Nothing to be done and although everyone assured us that attacks on pets were rare, we lost a beloved cat to them.

Old sayings are wise. the dog always bites, the horse always kicks, the gun is always loaded.

Was there not a thread a while back re an attack on twin toddlers in a town setting? Foxes were not ruled out if i remember rightly.

OP; go with safety. And peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

That's a good outlook. We have 2 dogs, 1 cat, there are hedgehogs in the garden, fox and cub visit regularly, birds nesting in the hedge. No hope at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭jamesd

Mo60 wrote: »
    This does not always work. When I lived in London I had 2 dogs but still had foxes in the garden. The dogs used to chase the fox but as soon as the dogs were indoors the foxes reappeared.

We have a fox coming into our garden at night to steal our Akita's bone s - Akita does be locked into his pen just watching him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Graces7 wrote: »

If this were so here, with our cats etc,I would be worried.

I had cats also when we had foxes visiting our garden. One day one of my cats was sitting on the patio wall when a fox strolled up to her. The cat then gave the fox a wallop on the jaw and the fox run away. Up to that point I had heard that foxes were dangerous to cats but this proved that to be wrong, although it might possibly be different if the cat was ill or weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Was told years ago that wolf ****e and urine spread around the garden can keep foxes away from gardens
    Dunno if this is just old wives tale but I'd say it could work of course you'd have to go zoo for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Just want to set the record straight here.

Wild animals in Ireland will not intentionally go near humans or domesticated animals unless they are defending themselves.

Leave Badgers and Foxes alone! Badgers are protected in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

IrishHomer wrote: »

Wild animals in Ireland will not intentionally go near humans or domesticated animals unless they are defending themselves.

I have seen a fox attack and dismember a cat
    This was a domestic cat in a domestic setting.

btw Foxes are NOT a protected species in Ireland

IrishHomer wrote: »

Not true.

At two houses where there were badgers nearby our cats were attacked. Period. One killed.

Happy to leave them alone if they return the privilege.

Also I had a cottage that had been empty years and been taken over by a female pine marten who still came back for years. She did not attack our cats so that was fine, but the badgers had a sett near that house and did attack.

Our present cats had stand offs with the badgers at a different house and survived.

There is a badger trail right at the bottom of this garden too but these cats are street wise

Never tangle with wild life, especially when they have established territory as is the case re the OP here. And wild critters can get ill and act in desperation also. Love them, watch them and enjoy them but take no chances.

Part of respecting them is that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Hmm, I wouldn't be worried about direct fox contact, but their 'scat' (feces) is fairly foul, quite oily and odorous. Foxes also love to collect all manner of tat, which they'll leave littered around their den, including food remains, bones etc..

So, quite possibly, there would be a hygiene issue for a child playing in the garden. Hand to mouth etc..

We do put out table scraps.. and one fox, one fox only, sits 'in a bush' beside our front door, you just see a nose.. and the tail hanging out at the other end. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

News just in - Humans have to share planet with other animals :eek: Better start wrapping our houses in cotton wool.

Seriously OP you're worrying about something that is very unlikely to happen. I would say theres a slim to none chance of a fox climbing through a window into the house while baby and parent are there.

Advertisement