Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes in the Garden

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

News just in - Humans have to share planet with other animals :eek: Better start wrapping our houses in cotton wool.

Seriously OP you're worrying about something that is very unlikely to happen. I would say theres a slim to none chance of a fox climbing through a window into the house while baby and parent are there.

Mockery does not impress.

Phrases/words like "slim to none chance" and "very unlikely" seem to keep cropping up here....

People here seem to negate the stong protective instincts childbirth arouses. In us, in all critters... The utter need to defend and protect. Basic and vital in all life forms. To be honoured deeply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Theres protective instinct and then theres hysteria. I feel this instance falls in to the latter.

If someone is that concerned about foxes at the bottom of the garden then you might aswell set up a perimeter around the house to stop all potential dogs/cats/birds/aniamls etc getting into the house if windows are open.

I mean seriously, what if a cat starts hanging around? Or birds nest in the tress and could potentially fly into the house and land on the baby and scratch it! Or maybe squirrels!

You cant be worried about every possible "danger" when in this case there is no evidence of danger. Have the foxes ever come into the house before?

Theres protective instinct and then theres hysteria. I feel this instance falls in to the latter.

If someone is that concerned about foxes at the bottom of the garden then you might aswell set up a perimeter around the house to stop all potential dogs/cats/birds/aniamls etc getting into the house if windows are open.

I mean seriously, what if a cat starts hanging around? Or birds nest in the tress and could potentially fly into the house and land on the baby and scratch it! Or maybe squirrels!

You cant be worried about every possible "danger" when in this case there is no evidence of danger. Have the foxes ever come into the house before?

Exaggerating and attributing less serious issues to the OP is even less impressive than mockery.

A fox who is using the garden in this way is unusual and worrying. It comes across as intolerant to thus denigrate and belittle the OPs concern.

I am sure the OP has a lot of sense; and a lot of caring and will do the thing that settles and assures her. She has that right and that need. And that is her caring which we should respect and support. As many here do thankfully.

Your choice to belittle and be negative, and not one I support. Period.

OP; go with your heart and your need on this. The interesting thing is that as time passes and the mother becomes more settled, the extreme needs will moderate. This can only happen in a safe and accepting atmosphere and surroundings. If opposed of course the feelings will simply increase and spread to less valid things.

Blessings and peace

Graces7 wrote: »

Exaggerating and attributing less serious issues to the OP is even less impressive than mockery.

A fox who is using the garden in this way is unusual and worrying. It comes across as intolerant to thus denigrate and belittle the OPs concern.

I am sure the OP has a lot of sense; and a lot of caring and will do the thing that settles and assures her. She has that right and that need. And that is her caring which we should respect and support. As many here do thankfully.

Your choice to belittle and be negative, and not one I support. Period.

OP; go with your heart and your need on this. The interesting thing is that as time passes and the mother becomes more settled, the extreme needs will moderate. This can only happen in a safe and accepting atmosphere and surroundings. If opposed of course the feelings will simply increase and spread to less valid things.

Blessings and peace

It's not at all unusual for a fox to live in the garden. It's actually quite common.

Our opinions on this clearly differ.

As it stands the fox has given no reason for the mother to be concerned. So it poses the same threat that any other wild or domesticated animal like a cat does, which is why I compared it to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

It's not at all unusual for a fox to live in the garden. It's actually quite common.

As it stands the fox has given no reason for the mother to be concerned. So it poses the same threat that any other wild or domesticated animal like a cat does, which is why I compared it to that.

I had foxes in my garden for the nine years I lived there and never had an issue with them, even though I had animals of my own.

• Advertisement

Mo60 wrote: »
    I had foxes in my garden for the nine years I lived there and never had an issue with them, even though I had animals of my own.

So?

Please read what I wrote. Thank you

Interesting that I am very old now and have lived in many rural, town and some very isolated places and have never. ever had a fox in residence.

But it is not how anyone here views it but how the OP sees it that matters. Not thus a matter of your opinion or mine in this.

So?

Am I not allowed to post my experience on living with foxes or does it not suite your agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Its amazing that after al the years since we wiped out the wolf from the island the same ignorant mentality still prevails, its very very sad :(

Am I not allowed to post my experience on living with foxes or does it not suite your agenda?

I don't have an "agenda" whatever that may be.

I simply queried the relevance of what you wrote to the OP's concerns.

So many posts here are on the "pull yourself together " theme and that is rarely if any use or validity where justified fear is concerned. Justified in the sight of the OP. Which is what matters here.

Given my own experiences with wild critters occupying what became my territory I fully understand the OP.

Sharing with wild life can be a thing of beauty, but it can also be dangerous. As I learned in a very hard way.

Sure we share the planet with all creatures but that does not have to mean sharing a garden or house with them. Which is the concern here.

Having a time here with an increasingly invasive feral cat so can sympathise;)

These are things each makes a decision on personally. I lost a very dear cat through making the wrong decisions and would act very differently now.

Casey-cat, forgive me!

Best be safe and watch and enjoy the wild life out of the garden rather than in it. Live alongside in pleasure.

• Advertisement

So many posts here are on the "pull yourself together " theme and that is rarely if any use or validity where justified fear is concerned. Justified in the sight of the OP. Which is what matters here.

Given my own experiences with wild critters occupying what became my territory I fully understand the OP.

Sharing with wild life can be a thing of beauty, but it can also be dangerous. As I learned in a very hard way.

Sure we share the planet with all creatures but that does not have to mean sharing a garden or house with them. Which is the concern here.

Having a time here with an increasingly invasive feral cat so can sympathise;)

These are things each makes a decision on personally. I lost a very dear cat through making the wrong decisions and would act very differently now.

Casey-cat, forgive me!

Best be safe and watch and enjoy the wild life out of the garden rather than in it. Live alongside in pleasure.
    You lost a very dear cat?

So how many wild birds were lost to your very dear cat? And now foxes too?

gozunda wrote: »
    IrishHomer wrote: »
    Just want to set the record straight here.

Wild animals in Ireland will not intentionally go near humans or domesticated animals unless they are defending themselves.

Leave Badgers and Foxes alone! Badgers are protected in Ireland.

I have seen a fox attack and dismember a cat
    This was a domestic cat in a domestic setting.

btw Foxes are NOT a protected species in Ireland
    Utter nonsense!

You also state badgers killed your cat for Gods sake :(

Just for all you people who haven't a clue on wildlife: Badgers and Foxes don't go around killing domesticated pets or humans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Utter nonsense!

You also state badgers killed your cat for Gods sake :(

Just for all you people who haven't a clue on wildlife: Badgers and Foxes don't go around killing domesticated pets or humans!
    Homer you have no clue what your talking about. We used to have a problem with foxes in our estate, some fool of a neighbour kept leaving food out for them and they came over every night, i know this because i used to see them heading that way when i was out lamoing in nearby fields and often saw them in the estate rifflng through bins and coming from a particular back garden. well one morning i was out cutting the grass and another neighbour came around to me and said his little dog was attacked by a fox in their back garden the night before and the dog had to be PTS because of the injuries. his wife saw it happening and banged on the window and the fox ran off. he said the fox used to come over his back wall and rip out his bin regularly. he came round to me because he knew i hunted and asked me to help get rid of the fox. he got a lend of a trap off his brother in law and a week later we caught the fox in his garden again.

I have heard from other people i know who have had cats killed and a local woman who keeps chickens and sells their eggs had 20 hens killed one night last year.

A fox does not care if its a lamb, small cat, small dog, rabbit, pigeon, phesent or chicken. all are food if the fox is hungry and to say
    Badgers and Foxes don't go around killing domesticated pets
    is just silly and proves you dont know what your talking about. there was a thread here not too long ago too about a woman walking her dog which was attacked by a badger and had to be PTS. Not a daily accurance sure but it definatly does happen

Homer you have no clue what your talking about. We used to have a problem with foxes in our estate, some fool of a neighbour kept leaving food out for them and they came over every night, i know this because i used to see them heading that way when i was out lamoing in nearby fields and often saw them in the estate rifflng through bins and coming from a particular back garden. well one morning i was out cutting the grass and another neighbour came around to me and said his little dog was attacked by a fox in their back garden the night before and the dog had to be PTS because of the injuries. his wife saw it happening and banged on the window and the fox ran off. he said the fox used to come over his back wall and rip out his bin regularly. he came round to me because he knew i hunted and asked me to help get rid of the fox. he got a lend of a trap off his brother in law and a week later we caught the fox in his garden again.

I have heard from other people i know who have had cats killed and a local woman who keeps chickens and sells their eggs had 20 hens killed one night last year.

A fox does not care if its a lamb, small cat, small dog, rabbit, pigeon, phesent or chicken. all are food if the fox is hungry and to say is just silly and proves you dont know what your talking about. there was a thread here not too long ago too about a woman walking her dog which was attacked by a badger and had to be PTS. Not a daily accurance sure but it definatly does happen

In fairness if you are going to keep any aniaml outside, you need to make sure its in a secure enclosure. Cat owners realise that when they let their cats out, they could fall prey to another animal. Dogs kept outside in a kennel at night, could also become prey to a wild animal. I knew when I kept my guinea pigs outside that a fox could come over the wall, knock the cage over and eat them. Which is why I eventually moved them inside.

My point is, any pet that is left outside, unsecured, is a potential target. I'm not saying you shouldnt leave pets outside, I'm just saying you have to accept the risks that go along with it. You cant just kill everything just because it did something you dont like. There are risks and consequences to everything in life.

A fox living at the bottom of the garden is just one of those things. Accept it.

In fairness if you are going to keep any aniaml outside, you need to make sure its in a secure enclosure. Cat owners realise that when they let their cats out, they could fall prey to another animal. Dogs kept outside in a kennel at night, could also become prey to a wild animal. I knew when I kept my guinea pigs outside that a fox could come over the wall, knock the cage over and eat them. Which is why I eventually moved them inside.

My point is, any pet that is left outside, unsecured, is a potential target. I'm not saying you shouldnt leave pets outside, I'm just saying you have to accept the risks that go along with it. You cant just kill everything just because it did something you dont like. There are risks and consequences to everything in life.
    I agree but this dog i was speaking about was a pet that slept on the bed with him and his wife and it was let out for a few minutes to do its business before they went to bed

^ Ah well thats unfortunate. It could happen to anyone.

I just dont like when people want to control the nature and wild animals around them. Learn to live in peace with your surroundings, dont fear everything and try to shut it all out. Its just trying to survive like anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I love this forum, it's always a great source of amusement :)

"No animal, ever, can do any wrong. Ever."

Love it.

A fox living at the bottom of the garden is just one of those things. Accept it.

No one is talking re killing anything... REALLY!

And no a fox living in the garden is not acceptable or one of those things. We are territorial too and have a right to choose what and who we share our space with.

Really!

^ Ah well thats unfortunate. It could happen to anyone.

I just dont like when people want to control the nature and wild animals around them. Learn to live in peace with your surroundings, dont fear everything and try to shut it all out. Its just trying to survive like anyone else.

No one is excluding; simply we are saying that we prefer wild life outside our space. Which is perfectly reasonable behaviour.

There is a man up in Leitrim lives wild with wolves; the natural outcome of your philosophy. I mean LIVES with wolves. In and out of his house all the time, in his bed... His choice so fine.

Thank you( not)( for your... response re my cat. Had I taken steps to dissuade the badgers who were invading the garden? It is simply to limit.

As for control; yes indeed we must, Make safe places for wild life and safe places for us. Safe places for cattle and sheep and dogs and cats, and children.

If I choose to make my large garden a wild life sanctuary , fine. If not then fine also. Surrounded here by fields and love seeing the hares and the badger trails out there; but please, not in my garden. I need that space, and the food I grow, as I need my kitchen and bathroom and bedroom.

I love this forum, it's always a great source of amusement :)

"No animal, ever, can do any wrong. Ever."

Love it.

Gas at times isn't it? So much also is theory. Living it can be a very different matter.

Ideals tempered by reality as mine have been, and the wiser and stronger and more caring for it.

My years alone on a remote mountain taught me that. Respect and care but always safety and always limits.

• Advertisement

You lost a very dear cat?

So how many wild birds were lost to your very dear cat? And now foxes too?

:confused: Your logic here escapes me totally. Losing foxes? To cats?

Actually that particular cat and I had a good system re wild birds and he almost never got one. Oh he tried; but that is what cats do.

NB before the "cats are not native to Ireland" cliche kicks in.. Saint Patrick had a cat .. oh but then HE was not native to Ireland and nor are potatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

St Patrick? Potatoes? What the fox is going on in this thread?

The OP was concerned about a fox in their garden. I posted that I'd had no problem with them in my garden to show that foxes do not always do the damage that seems to be associated with them. Is that not relevent to the OP's concerns?

You have mentioned that you lost a cat, but that was not due to a fox.

I am not saying that foxes have never killed a domestic animal but I sometimes feel the number and descriptions of such incidents are exaggerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

BunShopVoyeur - you have only ever posted in this forum for purposes of attempting to bait and antagonise other posters. Unless you have something constructive to say that actually contributes to the topic at hand, refrain from posting please. Otherwise infractions will ensue from this point onwards.

Graces7 - likewise, sweeping inflammatory statements aimed at people who don't share your opinion are not helpful to anyone.

Do not reply to this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

The OP was concerned about a fox in their garden. I posted that I'd had no problem with them in my garden to show that foxes do not always do the damage that seems to be associated with them. Is that not relevent to the OP's concerns?

You have mentioned that you lost a cat, but that was not due to a fox.

I am not saying that foxes have never killed a domestic animal but I sometimes feel the number and descriptions of such incidents are exaggerated.

I want to add another voice to this - I have a fox who visits my garden and sleeps under an old blackcurrant bush. I don't like blackcurrants, so he's welcome to them:D
    I have cats, kittens, dog, child. The fox has never been a problem, I'm way more worried about idiots who might put down poison for the fox - putting pets at more risk than the wildlife would ever pose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Cut down the bushes. Foxes will eat your children. *end constructive post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

i know this because i used to see them heading that way when i was out lamoing in nearby fields

I assume that by "lamoing" you misspelled "lamping", rather than "lamaoing", as I can't see you'd just go out there for a good chuckle, and you also mention your neighbour had seen you hunting. CMIW, but isn't lamping illegal?

ferretone wrote: »

I assume that by "lamoing" you misspelled "lamping", rather than "lamaoing", as I can't see you'd just go out there for a good chuckle, and you also mention your neighbour had seen you hunting. CMIW, but isn't lamping illegal?
    yes lamping, usin the phone so excuse the spelling!

No lamping foxes/ rabbits is not illegal. Lamping deer is illegal unless done under a section 42 licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

So anyway OP.... I think people here are confusing the human traits they instill in their pets to foxes which are not pets...If you want to get rid of a fox...

( and yes the research has been done and proven for foxes carrying toxocariasis which causes blindness in children (although the incidences are low IF treated) and also weil's disease, it's more prevalent in urban foxes due to the proximity in which they live to each other.. but.... if people here want to hug foxes and let their children eat fox s**t that's their business)

So..

Remove areas where there is cover, if you don;t want to chop down a bush then prune it heavily so the chances of hiding are limited.

Urine... (Male urine contains more testosterone than female!), this will help you mark YOUR territory.. (are you reading this people ...it's not the foxes territory.... mark YOUR territory just like they mark theirs..if we count us humans as being part of nature too!).

Human Hair.. didnlt try this but worth a go if the urine doesn't work.. get it from local hairdressers...

You could try these guys HERE if you're in the Leinster area but the above methods should work and shift them to someone else's garden humanely enough.. I think the spring/summer is when the cubs are born so they often seek new living spaces around now

• Advertisement

Armelodie wrote: »
    So anyway OP.... I think people here are confusing the human traits they instill in their pets to foxes which are not pets...If you want to get rid of a fox...

( and yes the research has been done and proven for foxes carrying toxocariasis which causes blindness in children (although the incidences are low IF treated) and also weil's disease, it's more prevalent in urban foxes due to the proximity in which they live to each other.. but.... if people here want to hug foxes and let their children eat fox s**t that's their business)

So..

Remove areas where there is cover, if you don;t want to chop down a bush then prune it heavily so the chances of hiding are limited.

Urine... (Male urine contains more testosterone than female!), this will help you mark YOUR territory.. (are you reading this people ...it's not the foxes territory.... mark YOUR territory just like they mark theirs..if we count us humans as being part of nature too!).

Human Hair.. didnlt try this but worth a go if the urine doesn't work.. get it from local hairdressers...

You could try these guys HERE if you're in the Leinster area but the above methods should work and shift them to someone else's garden humanely enough.. I think the spring/summer is when the cubs are born so they often seek new living spaces around now

Thank you; this is what the Op was seeking right at the start.

I assume that this will also work for badgers, deer, rabbits? How about mink?

Advertisement