Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Charity Sector - Governance Code

• 28-06-2012 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Phil Hogan today launched the Governance Code for community, voluntary and charity organisations in ‪Ireland‬.
    The launch was at the Mansion House.
    The is a big day for the charity sector in Ireland.
    Lets see what the code entails.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Charity2020

This website gives a lot of in formation on the Governance Code

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Pity there isnt a governance code for junkets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

does it include a ban on chuggers? a lot of people want that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

How long till apple sues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the catholic cult is registered as a charity yet they charge hundreds for the use of a church.
    very charitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

the catholic cult is registered as a charity yet they charge hundreds for the use of a church.
    very charitable.

I'd imagine that's for the upkeep of the church, not really a stick you can bate them with.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's for the upkeep of the church, not really a stick you can bate them with.

what about the priests fee's? my late grandmother was charged over a hundred euro in 'priests fee's' when she buried my grandfather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

what about the priests fee's? my late grandmother was charged over a hundred euro in 'priests fee's' when she buried my grandfather

Couldn't say for certain tbh (don't go to mass myself) i'd just imagine that they see it as a service they provide and ask for a few quid.

Must admit I wasn't aware of that particular charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

very charitable.

Do other Christian religions charge for use of their churches?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

charities,and 'not for profit' organisations dont have to pay tax on their declarations like other companies do,can hire free labour ce workers,and dont have to declare their donations,if anybody has donated to charity,some of the highest paids ceo's(i was reading on the irish times)are in the charity sector..and in this recession they still arent doing bad..

• Advertisement

Do other Christian religions charge for use of their churches?

the catholic 'church' is a christian religion. thats news to me.

in answer to your question, how would i know? im not connected to a church

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

Anything that stops theses organisations squandering even more money can only be a good thing.

the catholic 'church' is a christian religion. thats news to me.

in answer to your question, how would i know? im not connected to a church

I just thought I would ask the question, as you seemed to know the Catholic religion/cult charged for the use of their churches.

I just thought I would ask the question, as you seemed to know the Catholic religion/cult charged for the use of their churches.

i do know. i recently got married in a catholic building as it was my wifes wish. they charged us hundreds in fees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

i do know. i recently got married in a catholic building as it was my wifes wish. they charged us hundreds in fees

Should they have paid you? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I'd like to see a mandatory metric that all charities had to provide.

A value between 1 and 100 showing how much of every €1 raised is used at ground level.

Every charity should then have the aim of getting this value to as high as possible and could be benchmarked against one another.

I got married not very long ago also in my wife's church which was a catholic church but we definitely weren't charged hundreds. I actually don't think we got charged anything although I would have to ask my better half to be sure.

charities are getting away with criminal amounts of tax and the way they operate its like they are doing it for profit margins..

charities are getting away with criminal amounts of tax and the way they operate its like they are doing it for profit margins..

Well they do have huge wages to pay for the 'top' men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Well they have to. Lots of them provide valuable services the government should provide, but could not be bothered their ass doing. If they do not at least break even, they cannot provide necessary social services.

• Advertisement

they are breaking well more then even i can tell you - they have plenty of money sloshing around in these charities,i worked for one of them i should know about it,and its an absolute scandal.

they pay no tax to our government which means they operate without paying the public a penny.. why should that happen..

they even hire free labour staff like ce workers and jobbridge interns..

the way they operate is more for profit margin then anything else,they have speicalised accountants etc in order to get the most cost effectiveness for their money..

no harm done you could say,but they are not paying tax to the public in ireland - thats criminal why should they be treated any differently - they are not acting any differently to companies..

iDonate wrote: »
    This website gives a lot of in formation on the Governance Code

600 people attended the Charity Governance Code launch.
    Huge amount of comments on social media sites. Looks like it was a huge success. The various online forums and social media sites will certainly help people get a better understanding of what is involved and what is expected.

iDonate wrote: »
    600 people attended the Charity Governance Code launch.
    Huge amount of comments on social media sites. Looks like it was a huge success. The various online forums and social media sites will certainly help people get a better understanding of what is involved and what is expected.

I wonder will it open peoples eyes as to the amount of money is being flitted away also?

Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Dam right that they charged you too. If somebody provides a service they should be paid for it. Especially in your case, you being a non believer and wishing to get married in a church, why would they provide it to you for free.

You may however go to mass for free.

Dr.Strange wrote: »
    I wonder will it open peoples eyes as to the amount of money is being flitted away also?
    Probably not.
    I have not read the document, but I imagine the code would (should) cover all aspects of what charities / nfps are about.
    It is certainly a move in the right direction.

Cian92 wrote: »
    Dam right that they charged you too. If somebody provides a service they should be paid for it. Especially in your case, you being a non believer and wishing to get married in a church, why would they provide it to you for free.

You may however go to mass for free.

but the animals are registered as a charity. surely asking for a donation would have been better, we would have given a donation too

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Don't forget many development NGO's are already signed up to the Dochas Code of Conduct on Corporate Governance http://www.dochas.ie/Shared/Files/4/CGAI_Governance_Code__FINAL.pdf. This launch was for a broader audience of community, voluntary, and charitable organisations. It can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

I would support a ban on chuggers with great enthusiasm

Advertisement