Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

putting up a wall bracket for tv

• 28-06-2012 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

hi guys,
    need some advice before i start;
    i'm putting up a cantilever wall bracket for a tv into a concrete wall.
    would bolts be more secure than screws and if so ,what sort?
    would rawlplug rawbolts be the best,and how to fit and anchor them securely?
    any advice Pro or Con for screws or bolts much appreciated.

thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

hi guys,
    need some advice before i start;
    i'm putting up a cantilever wall bracket for a tv into a concrete wall.
    would bolts be more secure than screws and if so ,what sort?
    would rawlplug rawbolts be the best,and how to fit and anchor them securely?
    any advice Pro or Con for screws or bolts much appreciated.

thanx

Bolts for me I would get the ones that expand inside the drilled hole , much more secure and you will never have to worry about it getting loose and falling on someone ,if some drilling dosent bother you go for it you can get them in any hardware store
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

thanx for the swift reply,i thought bolts myself,but i only used those expanding rawlplugs before once to put a garden hose up and it didnt work out!
    i had to use regular bolts to stop it sagging,must have done it arseways:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

thanx for the swift reply,i thought bolts myself,but i only used those expanding rawlplugs before once to put a garden hose up and it didnt work out!
    i had to use regular bolts to stop it sagging,must have done it arseways:rolleyes:

I've used frame fixings or sleeve bolts to fix heavy loads to block walls.

The only thing to watch is that the screw/bolt is usually profiled to fit a countersunk hole, so I added a washer to get a proper bearing surface. I also tightened them up a quarter turn after they'd been up for a week or so and added a very thin 1mm shim of soft wood behind the fixing to iron out any tiny imperfections.

Stuff's still on the wall four years later!

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

I've used frame fixings or sleeve bolts to fix heavy loads to block walls.

The only thing to watch is that the screw/bolt is usually profiled to fit a countersunk hole, so I added a washer to get a proper bearing surface. I also tightened them up a quarter turn after they'd been up for a week or so and added a very thin 1mm shim of soft wood behind the fixing to iron out any tiny imperfections.

Stuff's still on the wall four years later!

SSE

ye know what,thats a great few tips!;)
    i did exactly the opposite:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Depending on the bracket you've got, if there isn't a possibility to adjust it laterally after the TV is mounted, then be very careful about lining up your drill holes exactly on the perpendicular or your TV will end up crooked. I learned this the hard way so the second time I did it I drilled guide holes with the very smallest masonry bit I had and then went up every single bit size until I had got to the size needed to take the expanding rawl plugs. I used 130mm bolts as well for peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A small magnetic spirit level in the EuroGiant Shops for 2 euro and just place it on the bracket until you get a level bubble.

Then simply mark the bracket holes with a pencil or marker and drill away.

Simples.:)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What size TV are you mounting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

byte wrote: »
    What size TV are you mounting?

22 inch LED....from the double posted thread.;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79456164#post79456164

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Aaarrrghhh!

Advertisement