Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Travelling Myth

• 28-06-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭

TLDR: When it comes to travelling the world, what is the line between making a beneficial life decision and just 'running away from your problems'?

There's a notion in Ireland, and elsewhere to be fair, that travelling the world is an essential part of everyone's development. That you are somehow mentally stumped if you haven't had a Christmas Day on the beach.

The collective 'life plan' for most Irish people goes, in varying order: go to school, start drinking, get a driver's licence, complete Leaving Cert, go to college, travel, come home, get a job, have a baby, get a mortgage, marry, retire, play with your grandchildren, then die.

Don't get me wrong, I like broadening my horizons so I have no problem with the idea, in theory. I remember, even when I was around 18, wrecking an ex's head on a holiday by booking us on a 3-day sight-seeing tour where we could see not one, but TWO, of the wonders of the world. I'm mad for a bit of history and there's nothing like standing in the spot of a historical event and imagining the events that have gone on there to give you a perspective of the broader scale of existence. All of a sudden your own daily drama seems to matter less as you get an idea of what life is really about.

In fact, I even plan on living abroad at some stage in the not-too-distant future. Part of me hopes that it doesn't come to that and that I can make it work in Ireland first, but I'm fortunate enough to have connections elsewhere that give me a great (and increasingly likely) Plan B to fall back on should that not happen. So I'm not anti-emigration either. Some of the most successful people I know made a fantastic life for themselves when they realised that Ireland just wasn't for them, and I get the same feeling myself quite regularly.

But, at the same time, I also see a lot of people just...running away. People who are otherwise unemployable due to past poor life decisions, lost and looking for direction in life. People who move halfway across the world and then do the exact same things as they did over here (i.e. get twisted drunk and act the idiot). The only difference is that they have their top off in the Facebook pics nowadays.

Similarly, nearly every person that I know and have met that is in their early/mid-30's and is still single, in a job that they hate and lacking direction in life, is a person who spent a large portion of their 20's travelling the world. They will bore you to tears with tales of how 'wild' those years were, and how much it benefited them, but what do they have to show for it? Indeed, it sounds increasingly as if they're trying to convince themselves, more than me, that these years benefited them when they speak of it.

So what is the line? When does travelling stop being productive and start being just 'killing time and getting a tan before you die'? What's the right way to use seeing the world as part of a productive life? Should every person, ideally, travel and see the world or could one be a happy, well-rounded individual having never left their own country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

The problem is lifes too short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

davet82 wrote: »
    The problem is lifes too short
    I disagree. There's lots of time. Just not enough bloody money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

leggo wrote: »
    What's the right way to use seeing the world as part of a productive life?

Google Street View.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No matter where you go you take yourself with you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

seamus wrote: »
    I disagree. There's lots of time. Just not enough bloody money.

well yeah the money is a big factor too but i think time goes by too quickly for some then and not for others, its about figuring out what you want to do i guess asap, if that makes any sense :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's nothing wrong with travelling and getting out there and exploring the world if you have the time and means to do so. However, most Irish people's notion of 'travelling' is to go to either Australia, New Zealand or the US for a year when they live with other Irish people, work with other Irish people and get drunk with other Irish people for that year. It's a sunnier version of dosing off college for many.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

most Irish people's notion of 'travelling' is to go to either Australia, New Zealand or the US for a year when they live with other Irish people, work with other Irish people and get drunk with other Irish people for that year. It's a sunnier version of dosing off college for many.

No it bloody isn't. A lot do yes but every nationality does that when they go abroad, and so what, let them to it if they're enjoying themselves. Just because all their friends aren't called Bruce and Sheila when they're living in Sydney doesn't make it any less worthy of a different experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There's nothing wrong with travelling and getting out there and exploring the world if you have the time and means to do so. However, most Irish people's notion of 'travelling' is to go to either Australia, New Zealand or the US for a year when they live with other Irish people, work with other Irish people and get drunk with other Irish people for that year. It's a sunnier version of dosing off college for many.

I'd agree with that. I guess, in that case, the question becomes: why are these people so ****ing pretentious about it, then? I write this following checking my Facebook (there's my first problem, says boards) and having my feed raped by people travelling putting up pictures and statuses that look no more beneficial to their overall life productivity than a trip down to 'Joe's Nightclub, Dungarvan' on a sunny Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I want to go travelling. Just after coming back from the euros and back in work now. It's grand but I wanted to travel before I left. Now I'm mad to go, just the idea of going to new places and meeting people is exciting!

Hopefully January...

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    No it bloody isn't. A lot do yes but every nationality does that when they go abroad, and so what, let them to it if they're enjoying themselves. Just because all their friends aren't called Bruce and Sheila when they're living in Sydney doesn't make it any less worthy of a different experience.

You either:

a) have never been cornered by these people and waffled to for an hour, non-stop, about "how you just can't understand what it's like until you're there"*.

or,

b) are one of these people.

* Nothing wrong with these stories if they are genuinely funny/interesting. But I have been drunk, and on a beach, before. And it wasn't that great. Sand caught between my toes for days after. A nuisance, if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

What do people think about waiting until you retire to do your "travelling"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

IM doing it arseways..............I did fook all with my 20's. Didnt really know what to do, got a degree but no work. Ended up working jobs that I was good at but did not like.

Now I am interning in a job and industry I like. I am trying to get a move to one of there offices abroad once my internship is over. Then build up my career and then in a few yrs il do what I should have done in my 20's and go travelling. see some of the world for a yr or two.

why now?? Well a few yrs ago I was freaking out about direction, where I was going career wise, why did I not travel when I could have done etc etc etc..................

Then a wise man said to me " Dont worry son, 30 is the new 18"!!

And I said "Thanks Dad"

So its never too late to go even if its for adventure, looking for something better. Even if it is to work abroad just do it. You may as well be working in a job you hate in a sunny country with hot chicks that in this miserable rain infested place!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I'd agree with that. I guess, in that case, the question becomes: why are these people so ****ing pretentious about it, then? I write this following checking my Facebook (there's my first problem, says boards) and having my feed raped by people travelling putting up pictures and statuses that look no more beneficial to their overall life productivity than a trip down to 'Joe's Nightclub, Dungarvan' on a sunny Friday evening.

i find your posts quite patronizing to be honest.

You seem to think that you are the "all rounded person, who travels for the right reasons" as opposed to people that go away, enjoy their experience and have lots of fun.

You DO know that looking at the "wonders of the world" is what you are "supposed to do" it's not a big deal - they are tourist attractions - you just did what millions of others did - no different. what makes you decide what other peoples lives should be?

no offence - just commenting on what I have read.

Also, to answer your questions - you can travel the world and still be ignorant to everything but your own view, or you can stay in Ireland an have the most open mind that ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I am sure there are plenty of people out there that have never left their own country and are happy not to have done so.

I for one enjoy travelling and am a bit regretful not having taken 6 months or a year off to travel a bit more. Although I still hope to see the places I have always wanted to see, its just that instead of seeing them all in a year I will go ever other year for a week here or two weeks there, and hopefully throughout the course of my life I will get to see them all.

I didnt ever understand how people kept telling me I should go with them to Australia or the US to work for a year or two I mean if I wanted to see these places I would go on a holiday and see more than I would if I was there working. Granted the weather would be better but you still wake up to an alarm clock every day and go to work same as you would here the only difference being here is home, and your friends and family are here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I agree wholeheartedly with Leggo's last post. For a lot of "avid" travellers, the having-visited somewhere is more important than the visit itself. It ticks off another venue on the to-do list and adds a digit to their "I've visited X countries, you know". There is definitely an element of smugness and superiority to a lot of people who like to travel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You have a few options.

Easiest is get a job as a teacher where you have half the year off and can do lots of travelling. But that means putting up with a large group of kids for a few hours 5 days a week when you are at home, not for everyone!

Next is get a job where you get to travel a lot or has lots of travel perks. This is a great option, I used to work for a Lufthansa company and was able to travel anywhere Lufthansa flew on standby for just 10% of the actual price.

Or move to mainland Europe. There is so much to see and do and getting there is so easy compared to Ireland. Plus you get much better holiday allocation in EU countries, here in Germany 30 is the standard and I think France has even more.

i find your posts quite patronizing to be honest.

You seem to think that you are the "all rounded person, who travels for the right reasons" as opposed to people that go away, enjoy their experience and have lots of fun.

You DO know that looking at the "wonders of the world" is what you are "supposed to do" it's not a big deal - they are tourist attractions - you just did what millions of others did - no different. what makes you decide what other peoples lives should be?

no offence - just commenting on what I have read.

Also, to answer your questions - you can travel the world and still be ignorant to everything but your own view, or you can stay in Ireland an have the most open mind that ever was.

Em, you can't really use quotation marks when I haven't said what you're quoting. It's interesting to know that's how you read into it, though.

It's not me deciding what other people's lives should be. I'm honoured that you would give me such authority on the basis of one post (:p). The thread is a question: I'm stating my view (which I would be naturally predisposed to agree with...since it's my view), then throwing the subject open for discussion.

Alternatively, I could've just asked a question, then waited for people to go, "And what are your own thoughts, OP?" But I believe that's against the charter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

travelling is epic!! Having travelled a lot of the world and met many people i would never have obviously net, experienced different cultures, the sheer wonder of different continents, is just fascinating, refreshing and for me makes me appreciate the world a whole lot more!

Living abroad is epic too if in an interesting place!

I say do it, i'll never stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

OP sounds extremely bitter. Just go travelling like everyone else if you want to. Stop looking for justification from stangers on an internet forum.

OP sounds extremely bitter. Just go travelling like everyone else if you want to. Stop looking for justification from stangers on an internet forum.

Huh? I have a visa to live in the States anytime I want, it's just a case of doing up the paperwork and paying the fees. If that were true, then there's really nothing stopping me...

But, of course, if I say anything that mightn't agree with your take on life, then it must be down to me being 'bitter'... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Price of Turnips

The one thing i have noticed about myself travelling is,how your re-create yourself with strangers, the lies(white-lies) that you tell people you dont know, gives you a picture of who you really want people to see you as.
    i think lies are good,IF you remember them and work on them coming true....for example- "What did you study in college?"
    "Me, oh i mastered in Blah Blah blah"
    once you keep it as a goal to complete some day

Huh? I have a visa to live in the States anytime I want, it's just a case of doing up the paperwork and paying the fees. If that were true, then there's really nothing stopping me...

But, of course, if I say anything that mightn't agree with your take on life, then it must be down to me being 'bitter'... :rolleyes:

Yawn. You made us read a long, drawn-out OP that was more like a crappy monologue blog post, asking for our opinions. But the fact is you have your mind made up already. You even thanked Byronbay's post which denounced people who have travelled as "smug".

The psychologist in me says you are simply jealous of your friends who are having the time of their lives in Austrailia or the US. You aren't angry at the travellers themselves - you're angry that you have to listen to their stories of what an amzing time they had abroad and see their pictures. You try to convince yourself that you are making the right decision by wasting away your youth in rainy, depressing Ireland. You have the rest of your life to work. Go and travel now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I moved 'abroad' back in 2007.

People at home still see me being on a jolly somewhere out foreign. :rolleyes:

For me when I go to Ireland its 'Going Traveling'

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

donalg1 wrote: »
    I am sure there are plenty of people out there that have never left their own country and are happy not to have done so.

I for one enjoy travelling and am a bit regretful not having taken 6 months or a year off to travel a bit more. Although I still hope to see the places I have always wanted to see, its just that instead of seeing them all in a year I will go ever other year for a week here or two weeks there, and hopefully throughout the course of my life I will get to see them all.

I didnt ever understand how people kept telling me I should go with them to Australia or the US to work for a year or two I mean if I wanted to see these places I would go on a holiday and see more than I would if I was there working. Granted the weather would be better but you still wake up to an alarm clock every day and go to work same as you would here the only difference being here is home, and your friends and family are here too.

That is true. No matter what amazing country you travel to and work in you will fall into a routine. But, for me anyway, it was about much more. I up and left by myself and arrived in country where I didn't speak a word of the language and they had no English. Now I'm settled, can read and write and can speak enough of the language to get me out of trouble.

I could have come for a 2 week stint and gone on a tour with an English speaking guide and met English speaking tourists, but I decided to throw myself in the back arse of a developing country becasue I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. I do have a routine with work, but it seems a lot more worthwhile compared to the routine I had before in my old job/life.

I've a load of friends in Australia who want to drink their year away, and if they want to that then that's fine. Their decision and it looks like they are having the time of their lives! I know when I do finish travelling and look for a job I'll have a lot more to offer an employer then I did before I left.

Elba101 wrote: »
    I know when I do finish travelling and look for a job I'll have a lot more to offer an employer then I did before I left.

So travelling is just another line on your CV so you can get that elusive wage-slave job in rainy Dublin? How about travelling for the experience of travelling?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I reckon I did most of my travelling in my mind when I was a kid reading books. I went to some mad places Ryanair don't fly to.

Yawn. You made us read a long, drawn-out OP that was more like a crappy monologue blog post, asking for our opinions. But the fact is you have your mind made up already. You even thanked Byronbay's post which denounced people who have travelled as "smug".

The psychologist in me says you are simply jealous of your friends who are having the time of their lives in Austrailia or the US. You aren't angry at the travellers themselves - you're angry that you have to listen to their stories of what an amzing time they had abroad and see their pictures. You try to convince yourself that you are making the right decision by wasting away your youth in rainy, depressing Ireland. You have the rest of your life to work. Go and travel now.

And yet... why is it I imagine that you only become a psychologist behind your computer screen under the alias of 'SMASH THE UNIONS'? Could it be that your ingenious psychological evaluations are a tad basic and over-influenced by your own world views?

Psychologically-speaking, since you're the expert and all, could it be that people are simply irked by the inherent hypocrisy that goes into people moving away to 'broaden their horizons' and yet doing the exact same thing as they always did? Could it be that they don't like being condescended to about their own life decisions that they are otherwise happy with, because the person condescending is over-compensating for poor life decisions past?

Could it be that people thank posts that agree with their opinions but also add an interesting twist to them? Could it be that you could've pressed the back button and I didn't, in fact, force you under duress to read this topic?

Psychology is a complex study. It's best practised in college and not through the Interweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

So travelling is just another line on your CV so you can get that elusive wage-slave job in rainy Dublin? How about travelling for the experience of travelling?

Nope. I am experiencing it! It's not another line on my CV, but what I gained from it will be.

What do people think about waiting until you retire to do your "travelling"?

This, to me, would be the right way to do it. When you've lived your life, done the hard work and earned the right to a break until you check out. That'd be the best way for me anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with people going away to 'find themselves'. I've been lucky enough that I found what I wanted to do and have some kind of road map towards it, others have to go on that journey at a separate time. I always say, "Judge me when I'm done," and I like to give people that option too, you can take a snapshot of people's lives at any low stage and use it for your worth.

Again, it's the condescension, smugness and hypocrisy about it all that I dislike. They needed to find themselves. I didn't. Don't talk to me as if I'm the one who's missing out.

• Advertisement

Psychologically-speaking, since you're the expert and all, could it be that people are simply irked by the inherent hypocrisy that goes into people moving away to 'broaden their horizons' and yet doing the exact same thing as they always did?
    First off, what are you on about? If this subject is too personal or emotive for you to discuss rationally, then maybe you should reconsider contributing. Every post you make reeks with bitterness.

You start off by making some false assumptions. Who says everybody who travels abroad does the same things they do back home? Last time I checked, you can't hike the Inca trail in Ireland. Or swim with the sharks in the Pacific Ocean. Or go white water rafting down the Colorado river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I reckon I did most of my travelling in my mind when I was a kid reading books. I went to some mad places Ryanair don't fly to.

And when they say they go to Narnia, they drop you off next to an Ikea warehouse in the middle of an industrial estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I have no major urge to emigrate. I never had the compulsion to go to Australia for a year or whatever. I like the familiarity of the culture Ive grown up in and its something I genuinely miss when Ive been away for a while. On the other hand, I also love to travel and see the places Ive been reading about all my life. So far Ive found that a week or 2 each year is getting me by on that score. And its within my means too.

Like everything it depends on the person. For some the "only" way to experience a new place / culture is to immerse yourself in it by living there for a decent period of time. For others, a week or two having a look around does the trick. Travel is a different to different people. Some place it way down the list of priorities and rarely bother, some take a 2 week trip a year to do the touristy things somewhere, some want to drop everything and backpack around the world for 6 months, others want to don a GAA shirt in Sydney and try to break the world record for consecutive days drunk! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Elba101 wrote: »
    That is true. No matter what amazing country you travel to and work in you will fall into a routine. But, for me anyway, it was about much more. I up and left by myself and arrived in country where I didn't speak a word of the language and they had no English. Now I'm settled, can read and write and can speak enough of the language to get me out of trouble.

I could have come for a 2 week stint and gone on a tour with an English speaking guide and met English speaking tourists, but I decided to throw myself in the back arse of a developing country becasue I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. I do have a routine with work, but it seems a lot more worthwhile compared to the routine I had before in my old job/life.

I've a load of friends in Australia who want to drink their year away, and if they want to that then that's fine. Their decision and it looks like they are having the time of their lives! I know when I do finish travelling and look for a job I'll have a lot more to offer an employer then I did before I left.

Seems to me that you are doing it the right way, I should have mentioned in my original post that I cant stand the idea of people leaving Ireland and going somewhere like Australia and spending all their time hanging around with Irish people, I mean wtf is the point in doing that.

First off, what are you on about? If this subject is too personal or emotive for you to discuss rationally, then maybe you should reconsider contributing. Every post you make reeks with bitterness.

You start off by making some false assumptions. Who says everybody who travels abroad does the same things they do back home? Last time I checked, you can't hike the Inca trail in Ireland. Or swim with the sharks in the Pacific Ocean. Or go white water rafting down the Colorado river.

Yeah, but let's face it, what percentage of Irish people do we really know that throw themselves in the deep end like that while travelling? They might do three or four of those things once, but that's hardly Michael Palin territory. I can think of one person, personally, whose holiday stories and snaps don't predominantly revolve around just being drunk a lot. And about half of my old school friends are now living in Oz/NZ.

That person would probably be the only one I know who I don't roll my eyes with when they start to talk about travel stories. I'm happy to listen, just make it interesting if you're going to take up an hour of my life.

And people are allowed to disagree with your life choices without being bitter, by the by. I'm stating my problem quite clearly and honestly here.

Em, you can't really use quotation marks when I haven't said what you're quoting. It's interesting to know that's how you read into it, though.

It's not me deciding what other people's lives should be. I'm honoured that you would give me such authority on the basis of one post (:p). The thread is a question: I'm stating my view (which I would be naturally predisposed to agree with...since it's my view), then throwing the subject open for discussion.

Alternatively, I could've just asked a question, then waited for people to go, "And what are your own thoughts, OP?" But I believe that's against the charter.

maybe its the way you wrote it but your view comes across as very smug and self righteous.

• Advertisement

you think a visa for America is "seeing the world" :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Here's an idea: Do what the fuck you want, and if someone wants to travel, let them, if someone wants to get married at 20, let them. It's their own lives, as long as it's not hurting anyone else (putting up annoying facebook pictures doesn't count) mind your own business.

you think a visa for America is "seeing the world" :D:D

Oh come on, you're just trolling now.

Clearly I was saying that I could leave the country and go elsewhere without any restrictions. A visa elsewhere, no wife or kids, fortunate enough to have savings etc. That's why I'm saying it's absolute rubbish that I'm just 'jealous' or really want to go travelling myself. How very "I know you are but what am I?" of you.

If the points raised touch a nerve, either argue with them as stated, or just click back, forget this thread and other opinions ever existed and keep telling yourself that that year you can't remember in Oz will pay off in the long run. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Could one of you oracles of knowledge please tell me what I'm supposed to do exactly when I go abroad next??? I fear I've been doing it all wrong!

The only people coming across as smug here is the "too cool for travelling" brigade. Typical Irish begrudgery. A few people decided they didn't want to spend their entire lives on this little wet rock and so decided to see the world, and they get mocked by the wage slaves left behind in Ireland. Anybody who goes straight to work right after college is wasting their youth. You have the rest of your life to work.

• Advertisement

The only people coming across as smug here is the "too cool for travelling" brigade. Typical Irish begrudgery. A few people decided they didn't want to spend their entire lives on this little wet rock and so decided to see the world, and they get mocked by the wage slaves left behind in Ireland. Anybody who goes straight to work right after college is wasting their youth. You have the rest of your life to work.

I knew that word was coming. Turns out that you can't have an opinion that disagrees with someone without being a 'begrudger'.

Now that you've ruined a good conversation, can you please leave us and the rest of the begrudgers to have an intelligent chat about the real merits of travel? I'm sure there's a banana boat in Vienna with your name on it and your jealous friends back home are just dying to hear all about it. :rolleyes:

I can think of one person, personally, whose holiday stories and snaps don't predominantly revolve around just being drunk a lot. And about half of my old school friends are now living in Oz/NZ.

That person would probably be the only one I know who I don't roll my eyes with when they start to talk about travel stories. I'm happy to listen, just make it interesting if you're going to take up an hour of my life.

Ah, the back-peddling begins :D
    So it is ok for some young people to travel. How do you know you wouldn't enjoy travelling if you've never done it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,824 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry OP, the only thing I get out of your posts is that someone recently chewed your ear about a bit foreign travel recently and you have gone into a total decline over it. You are criticising people who travel because you jump to conclusions about their motives. You don't want anyone to disagree with you
    and I didn't, in fact, force you under duress to read this topic?
    so why did you post it if you don't want anyone to read it. Once it is read it can't be unread, are we not supposed to reply unless we agree with you?

Did anyone force you under duress to listen to the travellers' adventures. You could always have said 'look I am not even remotely interested in your self-satisfied waffling', you would have lost a friend of course, but what use is a condescending, smug, hypocritical friend anyway?

I get irritated with the term 'begrudgery' that is tossed around as something very Irish, but in this case I think it fits.

Oh come on, you're just trolling now.

Clearly I was saying that I could leave the country and go elsewhere without any restrictions. A visa elsewhere, no wife or kids, fortunate enough to have savings etc. That's why I'm saying it's absolute rubbish that I'm just 'jealous' or really want to go travelling myself. How very "I know you are but what am I?" of you.

If the points raised touch a nerve, either argue with them as stated, or just click back, forget this thread and other opinions ever existed and keep telling yourself that that year you can't remember in Oz will pay off in the long run. :p

right, you seems to think you are somehow above people re. seeing two wonders of the world - (you do know that these wonders of the world are concocted so that millions of sheeple with go see them every year ). Thats not an original traveller thought - thats just following the crowd .

You then seem to think that because you have a visa for america (as common as going to the aran islands in this day and age) you somehow think this has something got to do with being better than the people who go away and enjoy themselves.

America is the easiest, laziest option to go "see the world".

Maybe when you actually lift yourself up, meet up with your friends who are traveling, experiencing and having fun, and join them, you will realize that you posts are quite self righteous, and now thanks to you last couple of posts they are also naive.

get up and go - have fun - don't be bitter and twisted about others having fun

No, it was actually said that I 'forced' him to read it. Look back and see, looksee, this is your moment! :p

People can disagree all they like, I'd love to read an intelligent post about how getting twisted in Timbuktu for a year changed someone's life for the better. But, again, this is a specific thread asking a question about what people see as the best way to use travel as a productive way of life. Instead, we appear to have been overrun by amateur psychological evaluations from people who've obviously had a nerve touched (again, no exaggeration, it actually happened).

right, you seems to think you are somehow above people re. seeing two wonders of the world - (you do know that these wonders of the world are concocted so that millions of sheeple with go see them every year ). Thats not an original traveller thought - thats just following the crowd .

You then seem to think that because you have a visa for america (as common as going to the aran islands in this day and age) you somehow think this has something got to do with being better than the people who go away and enjoy themselves.

America is the easiest, laziest option to go "see the world".

Maybe when you actually lift yourself up, meet up with your friends who are traveling, experiencing and having fun, and join them, you will realize that you posts are quite self righteous, and now thanks to you last couple of posts they are also naive.

get up and go - have fun - don't be bitter and twisted about others having fun

Ugh. This is the attitude that I'm talking about:

"I had fun travelling so everyone must be jealous and want to do exactly what I did or they can't possibly have experienced anything in life."

Thanks for proving my point dude. Now you've successfully ruined a good thread because you were offended that somebody isn't in awe of your soon-to-be-published autobiography. Well done on that...

No, it was actually said that I 'forced' him to read it. Look back and see, looksee, this is your moment! :p

People can disagree all they like, I'd love to read an intelligent post about how getting twisted in Timbuktu for a year changed someone's life for the better. But, again, this is a specific thread asking a question about what people see as the best way to use travel as a productive way of life. Instead, we appear to have been overrun by amateur psychological evaluations from people who've obviously had a nerve touched (again, no exaggeration, it actually happened).

:o thanks for the laugh. Now get packing - live a little - you might learn a bit about life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Here's an idea: Do what the f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck you want, and if someone wants to travel, let them, if someone wants to get married at 20, let them. It's their own lives, as long as it's not hurting anyone else (putting up annoying facebook pictures doesn't count) mind your own business.

I haven't seen any posts on this thread suggesting anyone stops people doing what they want. The whole point of boards.ie is to discuss things. It's boards.ie now ye're talkin not boards.ie now ye're dictating.

I'd love to read an intelligent post about how getting twisted in Timbuktu for a year changed someone's life for the better.

And I suppose only your posts are intelligent? :rolleyes:

Smug self-righteous alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Could one of you oracles of knowledge please tell me what I'm supposed to do exactly when I go abroad next??? I fear I've been doing it all wrong!

You first have to convince border control that they are worthy of your presence :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement