Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Travelling Myth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

leggo wrote: »
    I'm sorry fishy, it's so difficult to take your opinion seriously when you make so many laughably wrong assumptions about my personal life. The visa is in my pocket now, is it? My parents are discouraging me from moving, are they? It's sensible to leave a burgeoning career to see the sun, is it?

The ratio of intelligent replies, both for and against the OP, is picking up now so let's leave others to discuss it, shall we?

Thats exactly what you are doing to everybody that doesn't "fit" your opinion, including your friends that you sit with when they share their stories with you.

I also notice you don't answer the posts that you cannot answer i.e. the ones in which on contradict yourself and it is pointed out to you - you seem to ignore those ones.

Give it up - you've been outed. Get rid of the bitterness and move on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

I want to go travelling for a few years after I finish college and save a bit of money. There's nothing wrong with that.. I just think there's so much more out there for me to see and experience.. Ireland is nice and all but it's not exciting to me 'cause it's where I've always been. Just because a lot of people have the same thoughts doesn't mean it's not worthwhile doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

RE OP.

Interesting post

most folk assume travelling is automatically a good thing, but like most things, it depends on how you do it.

travelling because of a job or with a job (engineering, construction, nursing, etc) is the best of all worlds - if you are working for a recognised international company or a first world country and hence your skills gained are recognised here.

other that that, ye gotta be careful - easy to let six or seven years slip by mucking around at bar work or similar with nothing to show for it except 'memories'. and then having to claw your way back into the home turf world of work.

but a year? or two? (max) between the ages of 18-30. all good.

Edit, just to add. travelling can be very addictive, because everything - sensation, experiences, daily activity, etc, is heightened more than at home, because it's new. So settling back into the 'mundane' is tough. and so one ends up continuing to travel - til the bones start to ache a little and ur fellow travellers are ten yrs younger, and years have gone by!. so, be careful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

There aren't many places you can go now without bumping into either someone you know or someone in a GAA shirt. Travelling was best when the masses couldn't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What's the big issue against living for the moment?
    Not everything one does in life has to be building towards a future goal, sometimes it's about enjoying life here and now. God forbid, but no one can ever know how much more of it they have to enjoy.

Why do so many people here disregard the concept of an experience just for the sake of the experience?
    I went to Thailand last summer for almost 3 months, did a lot of partying, saw a lot of amazing places, met a lot of incredible people, and had a lot of experiences which I could only have dreamed of beforehand - tubing in Laos, visiting an island entirely inhabited by monkeys (literally), going on a safari in an incredible nature reserve, going to a Full Moon Party in Koh Phanang, boating around some of the most exotic seafronts imaginable, and so many others - all of these are epic memories which will stay with me for life. So what if the trip didn't have a "purpose" beyond the trip itself?

Not everything you do in life has to be part of some kind of long term master plan. That works for some people, but not for everyone. Don't hate on those who want to walk a different path purely for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Oh, and to directly answer the OP:
    When it comes to travelling the world, what is the line between making a beneficial life decision and just 'running away from your problems'?

What if it's simply about enjoying life?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cherryfizz

TLDR: When it comes to travelling the world, what is the line between making a beneficial life decision and just 'running away from your problems'?

I lived abroad, it was just something I wanted to do. I met only one other Irish person when I was away! Travel is not all about getting wasted and tanning yourself. I have never gone on about my time away. Personally for me, I feel how do you know something is for you if you have nothing to compare it to! I made some good friends that I am still in contact with and really enjoyed my time away. I am quite happy living in Ireland now, obviously I wish things were better economically. Different strokes for different folks, I dont care if someone stayed in Ireland their whole life or went travelling! People are content doing different things! One man's poison is another man's cure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Ok my 2euros worth.

What was to be gained by traveling. Ok from my late teens to 21 I was one of these people with no direction so I packed my bags and off to the oul u.s of a for 6 months and then on to Australia fo a yearr. Great craic, amazing experiences and came across some of the nicest people I've ever met. In a way sorted my head out and said to myself "billy go home and go to college" so off I toddled home and got into a decent university and done quite well by getting a 2.1 in a pretty good field. I worked in that industry for the duration of my contract which was 8 months. Then I found myself pushing 30 and in the middle of a recession with very little chance if employment.

So i dusted down the oul reliable backpack and off I went to teach in a little country called Korea. The year flew by amazing time and yes OP I was pretty drunk on Soju 7 nights a week with my new Korean, American, British, Irish etc etc buddies.

My year was coming to an end and I knew I had to go home for some family events. I arrive back in freezing little Ireland on the scrap heap again but my mind is working over-time. I knew I was good at this teaching game so I started helping out with kids. My old degree was boring I didn't want that anymore so now I'm now about to start working with disadvantaged youths and little primary school kids who have some difficulty learning. I plan on doing this for a year before I go over to Africa to work with some street kids with an oul buddy of mine.

I now have serious direction in life and if it was not for traveling I serious doubt I would have that direction. Obviously I can't speak for everyone but I think my little story can answer some of your questions.

Travel when you retire?! Get a grip! That's grandchildren time. You would not be able to do half the things when your 65 than what you could do in your 20's.

Two questions OP

1. Like many people I know they took a career break for a year. Could you not do the same? try it!

2. What kind of friend are you? Thank god you're not mine! When I traveled or came home it was my friends asking me to put up photos and call them with stories. Sure when I came home from Korea they had a party so they could listen to my stories all ****ing night until the early morn and you moan about giving an hour of your life!

On the lighter side of life I'd never thought I'd agree with someone who calls themselves Smash The Union but hey we live and learn :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Ok my 2euros worth.

What was to be gained by traveling. Ok from my late teens to 21 I was one of these people with no direction so I packed my bags and off to the oul u.s of a for 6 months and then on to Australia fo a yearr. Great craic, amazing experiences and came across some of the nicest people I've ever met. In a way sorted my head out and said to myself "billy go home and go to college" so off I toddled home and got into a decent university and done quite well by getting a 2.1 in a pretty good field. I worked in that industry for the duration of my contract which was 8 months. Then I found myself pushing 30 and in the middle of a recession with very little chance if employment.

So i dusted down the oul reliable backpack and off I went to teach in a little country called Korea. The year flew by amazing time and yes OP I was pretty drunk on Soju 7 nights a week with my new Korean, American, British, Irish etc etc buddies.

My year was coming to an end and I knew I had to go home for some family events. I arrive back in freezing little Ireland on the scrap heap again but my mind is working over-time. I knew I was good at this teaching game so I started helping out with kids. My old degree was boring I didn't want that anymore so now I'm now about to start working with disadvantaged youths and little primary school kids who have some difficulty learning. I plan on doing this for a year before I go over to Africa to work with some street kids with an oul buddy of mine.

I now have serious direction in life and if it was not for traveling I serious doubt I would have that direction. Obviously I can't speak for everyone but I think my little story can answer some of your questions.

Travel when you retire?! Get a grip! That's grandchildren time. You would not be able to do half the things when your 65 than what you could do in your 20's.

Two questions OP

1. Like many people I know they took a career break for a year. Could you not do the same? try it!

2. What kind of friend are you? Thank god you're not mine! When I traveled or came home it was my friends asking me to put up photos and call them with stories. Sure when I came home from Korea they had a party so they could listen to my stories all ****ing night until the early morn and you moan about giving an hour of your life!

On the lighter side of life I'd never thought I'd agree with someone who calls themselves Smash The Union but hey we live and learn :)

What can't you do that's so great at 65 that you can do in your 20's?

My aunt and uncle are retired in Late fifties and they travel all over the world together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

You need a bit of experience in life - instead of putting others down to big yourself up - use the visa - yes. its only america - the easiest place you can go, but it's a start.

I understand what you're saying Fishy, in fact I understand what both sides are saying in this argument but what you've twice alluded to (at least) about America seems a bit immature. You seem to be saying America is easy-mode for finding out about new cultures and a new place. What we see from most media we get from America is only a very tiny part of the country. It's far more complex than that. The idea that any person could come to terms with the diversity and intricacy of that country in their lifetime is laughable, let alone most people from Ireland who go there.

And that's my point. I travelled a lot as a child and teenager, my parents brought me all over the world. I haven't been able to afford to travel the world since I became an adult and had to start paying my own way. The furthest afield I've been has been Belfast. And while sometimes I lament that I don't feel hard done by. I'm just barely coming to understand my own city. There's such a broad array of things to learn about a place: the art, the sport, the night life, the iconic places, the little known places, the home-comfort places, the yearly events, the politics, the tourist attractions, the hobbies people practice, the professions people are in, the friends you can make, the sex you can have, the bars, cafes and restaurants people go to and most importantly for me: the immigrants to the city.

I get involved in a fair amount of things (and a fair amount of going out) and I'm always amazed by the diversity of things I run into. Obviously, pubs are hugely important to Ireland and there are certain pubs I can go to where 75% of the time I will get talking to someone I have never met before and will have a really interesting conversation with them. It can be about all kinds of things: they could be telling me about the exotic and extravagent things they got up to when travelling the world as a personal trainer to an A-List Hollywood actress, or they could be telling me about how it's their only night off from minding their incredibly ill non-identical twins. There's so much to learn about and from any particular place.

I don't need to travel to experience new and interesting things: I just need to open my eyes, ears, mind and heart. And that's not even to say I don't want to travel and experience even more amazing things, I just don't have to do so. I have so little understanding of what's around me at the moment I could spend my lifetime in Ireland and still be left with new and interesting things to learn about this country and myself.

And that's what I took from the OP. Some people travel the world without seeing anything different and some people stay in one place and are constantly learning. It's not the travelling that's the cause of this, it's the person. However, I am also certain that for a lot of people travelling does broaden their horizons, it's the metaphorical kick-up-the-arse that forces people to open their minds to an amazing world.

Really, each to their own. I'd love to travel the world, I'd equally love to get to know Ireland better. I'm sure I'll do both in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Whenever I go to pick someone up at Schiphol (Amsterdam) Airport and go outside to have a ciggie while waiting.

Tracksuit wearing skanger: SARRY BUD YA HAVE A LOIT ?
    Me: No Problem
    Him: AH JAYSUS BUD YA FROM AIRLAND .. DEAADLY BUZZ, HERE FOR DA SMOKE ARE YA ?
    Me: Nah I live here.
    Him: ahaha deadly .. yeh must have baaaaagggggs ah da stuff.
    Me: Nah I don't smoke weed.
    Him: Wha?!?!

^^^ This
    If I hear this shít anymore I'm going to start using a German Accent that I learned from the Terminator movies.

Although you could replace 'smoke' with 'cheap drink'

I tend to stay away from Irish bars, because their usually the mankiest bars with the worst toilets (I have a thing about toilets, if I need to take a dump, I'll go home rather than squat)

Other than that travelling is great, I went to Galway a few times, Clare, even Dingle.... mad stuff .. they had this crazy accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

This, to me, would be the right way to do it. When you've lived your life, done the hard work and earned the right to a break until you check out. That'd be the best way for me anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with people going away to 'find themselves'. I've been lucky enough that I found what I wanted to do and have some kind of road map towards it, others have to go on that journey at a separate time. I always say, "Judge me when I'm done," and I like to give people that option too, you can take a snapshot of people's lives at any low stage and use it for your worth.

Again, it's the condescension, smugness and hypocrisy about it all that I dislike. They needed to find themselves. I didn't. Don't talk to me as if I'm the one who's missing out.

I don't know anyone who's ever actually said they're off to travel to "find themselves". If they did, I'd presume they were an idiot. I've met very few people who fit that description on my travels.

I'm not going to pretend the travelling I did changed me in anyway. I went on my own for 11 months to South America and it made me more independent and able to spend more time on my own and become less reliant on people...although I was always that way to some degree hence why I went on my own in the first place.

Why travel? One word: fun. MOre than anything else, I had a LOT of fun and saw some beautiful places and met some great people. Chiched as it sounds but that's what I got out of it. Many people say this and I wouldn't presume they're lying. There's a reason so many people do it and love it. It's not in anyway overrated.

I didn't bore people with my stories, mainly because they weren't interested but that's alright. I put up photos on Facebook when I travelled for my family to see what I was up to. NO smugness involved. I didn't feel superior, just lucky. People like that exist alright but they're few and fair between. People aren't automatically **** just cos they travel. MOst people I met wanted to enjoy themselves and nothing more.

I've lived in a few different countries,have been here in Spain almost 3 years and yes, I have a job, pay my bills, clean my flat blah dee blah but right now I'm facing my bedroom window with the sun pouring through the window. Tomorrow I'm going to the pool, bbq Sunday, next weekend I've got a pool party. The weekend will be spent walking in the sun, drinking beers outside and I might even head up to the mountains for a hike. I've one Irish friend here, the rest are foreign. I speak the lingo and slowly integrating into Spanish life.

I meet Spanish people everyday with their own customs and ways of doing things and their own interests and outlooks. My fella is Spanish and adapting to him and how his family do things is very different to home and it's a new experience and interesting because it is. Yes, a lot of my life is routine as it might be at home (I can't live on thin air, in fairness) but it's a different context so it's automatically a different experience.

Don't discount it unless you've tried it. We're not all smug tosspots who do it just for the sake of it. In fact, I'd say most aren't. I won't go home for another while yet....perhaps never. Who knows. Novelty is fun and that's the appeal for me tbh.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I didn't bore people with my stories, mainly because they weren't interested but that's alright. I put up photos on Facebook when I travelled for my family to see what I was up to. NO smugness involved. I didn't feel superior, just lucky. People like that exist alright but they're few and fair between. People aren't automatically **** just cos they travel. MOst people I met wanted to enjoy themselves and nothing more.

How do you know ... usually the people that bore people with drivel never know their doing it.

Sure I was raving on about a speed camera there the other day, everyone loved it... or did they. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

How do you know ... usually the people that bore people with drivel never know their doing it.

Sure I was raving on about a speed camera there the other day, everyone loved it... or did they. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

What's your question? How do I know what?

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying Fishy, in fact I understand what both sides are saying in this argument but what you've twice alluded to (at least) about America seems a bit immature. You seem to be saying America is easy-mode for finding out about new cultures and a new place. What we see from most media we get from America is only a very tiny part of the country. It's far more complex than that. The idea that any person could come to terms with the diversity and intricacy of that country in their lifetime is laughable, let alone most people from Ireland who go there.

And that's my point. I travelled a lot as a child and teenager, my parents brought me all over the world. I haven't been able to afford to travel the world since I became an adult and had to start paying my own way. The furthest afield I've been has been Belfast. And while sometimes I lament that I don't feel hard done by. I'm just barely coming to understand my own city. There's such a broad array of things to learn about a place: the art, the sport, the night life, the iconic places, the little known places, the home-comfort places, the yearly events, the politics, the tourist attractions, the hobbies people practice, the professions people are in, the friends you can make, the sex you can have, the bars, cafes and restaurants people go to and most importantly for me: the immigrants to the city.

I get involved in a fair amount of things (and a fair amount of going out) and I'm always amazed by the diversity of things I run into. Obviously, pubs are hugely important to Ireland and there are certain pubs I can go to where 75% of the time I will get talking to someone I have never met before and will have a really interesting conversation with them. It can be about all kinds of things: they could be telling me about the exotic and extravagent things they got up to when travelling the world as a personal trainer to an A-List Hollywood actress, or they could be telling me about how it's their only night off from minding their incredibly ill non-identical twins. There's so much to learn about and from any particular place.

I don't need to travel to experience new and interesting things: I just need to open my eyes, ears, mind and heart. And that's not even to say I don't want to travel and experience even more amazing things, I just don't have to do so. I have so little understanding of what's around me at the moment I could spend my lifetime in Ireland and still be left with new and interesting things to learn about this country and myself.

And that's what I took from the OP. Some people travel the world without seeing anything different and some people stay in one place and are constantly learning. It's not the travelling that's the cause of this, it's the person. However, I am also certain that for a lot of people travelling does broaden their horizons, it's the metaphorical kick-up-the-arse that forces people to open their minds to an amazing world.

Really, each to their own. I'd love to travel the world, I'd equally love to get to know Ireland better. I'm sure I'll do both in time.

no probs Lyaiera, but I've spend well over a decade living in various places across the States so I know the "diversities" you talk about - don't worry, I am not basing my posts on going to Boston or New York - places that I have actually spent the least amount of time in while in USA. I do believe (from traveling to different countries) that the USA IS the easiest option when leaving Ireland.

the OP however, seems to think that unless things are done his way, everyone is a waster.

What's your question? How do I know what?
    I've lived in a few different countries,have been here in Spain almost 3 years and yes, I have a job, pay my bills, clean my flat blah dee blah but right now I'm facing my bedroom window with the sun pouring through the window. Tomorrow I'm going to the pool, bbq Sunday, next weekend I've got a pool party. The weekend will be spent walking in the sun, drinking beers outside and I might even head up to the mountains for a hike. I've one Irish friend here, the rest are foreign. I speak the lingo and slowly integrating into Spanish life.

If you were telling me this in Ireland, I'd say "Oh wow that sounds great"
    I'd be thinking something else though.

My question is, how do you know what other people think ?
    People that bore other people never know their doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Ok my 2euros worth.

Two questions OP

My aunt and uncle are retired in Late fifties and they travel all over the world together.

The majority of people just wouldn't be in the same condition that they were in 40 years ago.

When you say travel to you mean holidays that last a few weeks or are they gone for a months or years or what?

Ok my 2euros worth.

Two questions OP

The majority of people just wouldn't be in the same condition that they were in 40 years ago.

When you say travel to you mean holidays that last a few weeks or are they gone for a months or years or what?

Well my aunt and uncle travel for a few months at a time from country to country.

Unless you are in bad health at that age I don't see why you can't do it. Eat well, get excercise 8 hours sleep and dont't get pissed every night and it shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Glad to see this has come full circle and turned into an interesting discussion again. :)
    What's the big issue against living for the moment?
    Not everything one does in life has to be building towards a future goal, sometimes it's about enjoying life here and now. God forbid, but no one can ever know how much more of it they have to enjoy.

Why do so many people here disregard the concept of an experience just for the sake of the experience?

People seem to have taken offence to my OP, there's no issue with it just because I haven't chosen it for myself. I've stated repeatedly that I respect people's right to both choose what they do with their own lives and am in no way against travelling.

To question something is not to necessarily 'hate' on it, or disregard it, though.
    Two questions OP

1. Like I said, I've no will at the moment to do anything like that. I respect that some people did feel the need to try it, but just because they did doesn't mean that I do.

2. People do say a lot of stuff, though. How do you know they weren't asleep on the other end of the phone or went away to make a cuppa tea while you talked for an hour? :P

I've no problem listening to anything interesting for an hour...but then slowly the subtle patronising and life advice ("You've got to try it," "Wow, I was happy for you until you started telling me how to run my life...") starts creeping in and I switch off and feel like I've wasted my time. Sure you even suggested that I should try it myself in your own post! It's like a reflex for all those who have travelled to then preach about it! :D
    I don't know anyone who's ever actually said they're off to travel to "find themselves". If they did, I'd presume they were an idiot. I've met very few people who fit that description on my travels.

The phrase 'find yourself' is a bit deliberately facetious, to illustrate a point (it's calling a spade a spade tbh).

But 90% of people that I know who've gone travelling have done so because of lack of options. They need to figure out what they want after finishing their degree, want one last 'adventure' before they start 'real life', are going because their friends are and it sounds like a bit of craic, or simply need the work, and so on. Nothing wrong with those, don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it in any way, but all are a means of 'finding yourself'. You could also call it 'experience for the sake of it experience', a phrase which has popped up on numerous occasions in this very thread. People filling a hole, a void in their lives.

Again, I am NOT knocking this, but if you're already having crazy experiences every day at home why do you need to go halfway across the world? If you already know what you want to do and need to get working on that ASAP to both get experience and try get a foothold, then you're wasting time by travelling, no? I'll remind you that that phrase was brought up in the context of people insisting to me that I needed to pack my bags now, else I was somehow missing out on life (as if I've never left the country before as is :pac:). And that also ties in with the absolute smugness that I hate that returns home with an awful lot of these people, who gained nothing from travelling but a stick they think they can beat others with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

I didn't bore people with my stories, mainly because they weren't interested but that's alright. I put up photos on Facebook when I travelled for my family to see what I was up to. NO smugness involved. I didn't feel superior, just lucky. People like that exist alright but they're few and fair between. People aren't automatically **** just cos they travel. Most people I met wanted to enjoy themselves and nothing more.

For me, this is the crux of the matter. I say live and let live. If people want to travel to enjoy themselves, go ahead. The OP has the self-centred view that people only travel to make him jealous. Yes he actually said this. Those millions of travellers worldwide are only doing it to make a little internet warrior in Ireland jealous.

I know the OP's type. When a friend returns to Ireland after a year of travelling, first question they ask: "so what are you going to do now?" They want to see the traveller fail. They want to hear that they have no job, have to move back in with the parents, and sign onto the dole. The bitterness and begrudgery shines through at every opportunity.

My advice is travel while you're young. The idea of a penisoner back-packing across Australia is ridiculous. Most hostels will not take in travellers over 30 years of age. They'll tell you to pay for a hotel room, ya tight git, and stop perving on the young ones. Anybody who doesn't spend at least a few months abroad before the hit 30 has wasted their youth. There is nothing more boring than someone who finishes school, goes straight into college, graduates, then gets a job, and dies. Why choose to live an average, mundane life? Experience something new. There is a whole world out there beyond this little rock on the periphery of Europe. You don't know what you're missing out on till you've been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I agree with much of what the OP says. It is certainly a contrarian viewpoint in Ireland so I'm not surprised that he's getting abuse in this thread.

Jacob Lund Fisker from the early retirement blog also has some similar thoughts on travel. I like the parts where he talks about travel as "social currency" and how people accumulate experiences in the same way as they accumulate stuff (which they don't need)

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/travel-is-not-worth-it.html
    http://earlyretirementextreme.com/somebody-explain-travel-to-me.html

Anybody who doesn't spend at least a few months abroad before the hit 30 has wasted their youth. There is nothing more boring than someone who finishes school, goes straight into college, graduates, then gets a job, and dies. Why choose to live an average, mundane life? Experience something new. There is a whole world out there beyond this little rock on the periphery of Europe. You don't know what you're missing out on till you've been there.

For all that travelling, you're still so small-minded so just blatantly assume that's my life or the life of anyone who doesn't do what you've done. I suppose it can't broaden everyone's mind...:rolleyes:

BrianD3 wrote: »

I had a quick read of those blog posts. It's basically the writer whiging about air travel rather than travelling itself. He makes a cliched jibe about how crap airplane food is, for example. Completely unrelated to the discussion.

Funny how the only people knocking travelling are those who have never done it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,824 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This nearly began to turn into an interesting discusssion there while the op was away (travelling?) for a while. He's back winding now though, or should we say trolling? because if you don't accept what he says first go, he's just going to keep saying it till you do. I think I would rather listen to somebody's travel tales.

Listen, would the whole diaspora either come home and be quiet, or preferably not come home at all, and save the OP from having to be annoyed by you.

looksee wrote: »
    This nearly began to turn into an interesting discusssion there while the op was away (travelling?) for a while. He's back winding now though, or should we say trolling? because if you don't accept what he says first go, he's just going to keep saying it till you do. I think I would rather listen to somebody's travel tales.

Listen, would the whole diaspora either come home and be quiet, or preferably not come home at all, and save the OP from having to be annoyed by you.

What's hurt this thread more than anything has been the personalisation of it and OP bashing (which alienates the rest of the forum who have conflicting views, making it me vs. anyone who disagrees with me, and hurts the debate's overall constructiveness).

It's since moved on to an actual discussion about the subject at hand...and yet you, a mod, are attempting to move it back to OP bashing. Wow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly with Leggo's last post. For a lot of "avid" travellers, the having-visited somewhere is more important than the visit itself. It ticks off another venue on the to-do list and adds a digit to their "I've visited X countries, you know". There is definitely an element of smugness and superiority to a lot of people who like to travel!

Is your username ironic then? Look at me I was in Byron Bay!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Ride other 20 year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Anyone I've met who left the country whether it be on the J1 or a longer visa, has had the time of their lives and not regretted it one bit. I find that you regret the things you don't do far more than the things you did do....so my opinion would be go for it while you can!
    I can see where the OP is coming from in some ways, that people just drop everything here to run away...but if they're running away from no job/doom and gloom to fun, sun and higher chances of a job, what's wrong with that? The majority of people leaving the country are doing so in an effort to better their quality of life...and they take the experience seriously using it to gain work experience. Of course they're going to go out and take in all the local experiences too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I had a quick read of those blog posts. It's basically the writer whiging about air travel rather than travelling itself. He makes a cliched jibe about how crap airplane food is, for example. Completely unrelated to the discussion.

Funny how the only people knocking travelling are those who have never done it :rolleyes:
    No it is very related to the discussion. You obviously missed the important parts during your quick read.

For example:
    Accumulating these precious everlasting memories is often put in the category of personal growth just like changing clothes is considered personal growth for teenage girls and young white collar workers buying their first suit. However, it mainly serves to accumulate social currency just like attending rock concerts does it for a teenager or buying “conversation objects” does it for a socialite, The currency can then be used enhance peer status..

However in the case of Irish people they may not even have any memories of what happened while "finding themselves" in Australia because they spent most of their time there drunk :rolleyes:

What's hurt this thread more than anything has been the personalisation of it and OP bashing (which alienates the rest of the forum who have conflicting views, making it me vs. anyone who disagrees with me, and hurts the debate's overall constructiveness).

It's since moved on to an actual discussion about the subject at hand...and yet you, a mod, are attempting to move it back to OP bashing. Wow...

Stop playing the victim card. Ever consider the possibility that maybe it's because you're talking crap? You have no interest in hearing other people's opinions. You just want an echo chamber. That isn't a discussion.

I said it before. You had your mind made up when you started the thread that anyone who has travelled is a smug waanker. Funny how the only people knocking travelling are those who have never done it. It's like saying Xbox is rubbish. "Have you ever played it?" "Well, no..". You have spent way too much time thinking about this and now you have built up so much rage in your head. People travel because they enjoy the experience, simple as that.

• Advertisement

Palpable sense of bitterness from the OP is delicious. You can almost taste the regret from his posts.

Here OP, chill out and have a beer on me

Beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

"Neil Armstrong, that spaceman, he went to the moon but he ain't been back. It can't have been that good."
    Karl Pilkington

CiaranC wrote: »
    Palpable sense of bitterness from the OP is delicious. You can almost taste the regret from his posts.

+ 1

Really, mate? Reaaaally? You think that this thread is making me wish I had travelled? If anything, the posts here are justifying my decision, i.e. "anyone who doesn't want amazing adventures like I've had must be so bitter". I'll gladly not travel just so I don't become you. :pac:

It's been said before, there's really nothing stopping me. 25, no wife/kids, savings etc. If I was that regretful...would I not just do it? Do you not realise the gaping hole in your logic? Or are you blinded by your delusion that everyone else is just so jealous of you?

Or are you blinded by your delusion that everyone else is just so jealous of you?

There are people like you everywhere, you dont interest me in the least. I just find the bitterness of your posts amusing.

You dont need to justify your decision to live the conventional school-college-job-marriage-kids-death life to strangers on the internet, just get on with it. If other people want to spend their life doing amazing coke in South America, trekking across Antartica, volunteering in Africa, banging 20 year old scandinavian birds in Australia or one of the million other possibilities our wonderful planet offers then let them get on with it too.

Why feel the need to start threads to justify who you are? It smacks of small minded bitterness. Grow up.

ahem, side-stepping the flames wars for a mo and offering this.

Like most things travelling has it plus and minus side.

The commodity you spend is time. TIME.

What is the value of time?

Well, maybe there's is a mathematical formula, but roughly time value increases with age. ie the older you get the less you've got left! so the more valuable it is!

Em, ok, to wander back into my point - travelling costs time and time has different values at different stages in life.

to build up a reasonable base in your home country takes....(wait for it)...time. (usually 5-7 years) by base I mean steady living situation, steady income of a good level.

so, spend a bit of time travelling, grand.

but overspend (to me, more than two years) and you might regret it.

Eidt. in a prattling mood, so i'll add this. the cost is time, but the goods you buy is 'experience'. well spent time will give you valuable experiences. as i mentioned before job related travel is handy because the experience will convert to your homeland job prospects. But any experience is valid, not just job related experience. However, it aint free. it costs. it costs time. so, travel with that in mind - the time cost. if you're young, you can afford it a bit more - but the price does go up as you get older.
    As for retired persons travelling, that's a totally different type of travelling, and imo doesnt apply in this context.

What college did I go to, since you know so much about me there pal? And was it bitter when I wrote a whole paragraph in the OP about not being anti-emigration and probably having to move abroad at some stage? Where does the whole, "I might have to move abroad," notion fit into your head within my life decision to never travel?

Cop on. Deal with the subject at hand and stop making up fairy tales about me in your head.

What college did I go to, since you know so much about me there pal? And was it bitter when I wrote a whole paragraph in the OP about not being anti-emigration and probably having to move abroad at some stage? Where does the whole, "I might have to move abroad," notion fit into your head within my life decision to never travel?

Cop on. Deal with the subject at hand and stop making up fairy tales about me in your head.
    Lol, of course you've never been to college, what was I thinking. Do you have a chip on your shoulder about that too? Going to start a thread about the education myth next?

Hmmm.

well it would seem an interesting topic is about to be locked and docked. pity

• Advertisement

Lol, of course you've never been to college, what was I thinking. Do you have a chip on your shoulder about that too? Going to start a thread about the education myth next?

I fcking lol'd.
    ArtSmart wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Interesting topic? I'm not even sure the OP knew what point he was trying to make. Indeed, he changed his point half-way through the thread. First it was a rant about young people travelling; then it was about people putting pictures of said travelling on Facebook; then it was about the kind of travelling people do - seeing the Wonders of the World = good. Drinking on a beach and shagging = bad. Self-righteous waffle. On top of that, he cannot handle even the slightest criticism without having a mental breakdown apparently. He must always be right.

Hmmm.

Interesting topic me hole, it's a thread from some workaday blowhard from suburban Dublin criticizing people for doing something interesting with part of their lives.

Let's hear some alternative suggestions with what to do with this time so. Obviously education and a professional career is out.

Fair nuff. Well i gave my tuppence, so that's me done.

in short, go travel, but dont get lost. ;) bfn

This thread is bollocks.

Just be happy with what you did, you can't change the past anyway.

If you like staying at home do that
    If you like going on Aeroplanes to places (Is this travelling ?) then do that too.

Does England count as travelling ?

ahem, side-stepping the flames wars for a mo and offering this.

Like most things travelling has it plus and minus side.

The commodity you spend is time. TIME.

What is the value of time?

Well, maybe there's is a mathematical formula, but roughly time value increases with age. ie the older you get the less you've got left! so the more valuable it is!

Em, ok, to wander back into my point - travelling costs time and time has different values at different stages in life.

to build up a reasonable base in your home country takes....(wait for it)...time. (usually 5-7 years) by base I mean steady living situation, steady income of a good level.

so, spend a bit of time travelling, grand.

but overspend (to me, more than two years) and you might regret it.

Eidt. in a prattling mood, so i'll add this. the cost is time, but the goods you buy is 'experience'. well spent time will give you valuable experiences. as i mentioned before job related travel is handy because the experience will convert to your homeland job prospects. But any experience is valid, not just job related experience. However, it aint free. it costs. it costs time. so, travel with that in mind - the time cost. if you're young, you can afford it a bit more - but the price does go up as you get older.
    As for retired persons travelling, that's a totally different type of travelling, and imo doesnt apply in this context.

or, you could be hit by a truck in the morning, so enjoy life while you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I think that people that went travelling are really smug about it and go on and on and on about it. They think it gives them some sort of better world view than everyone else because they hiked an inca trail . I used to get 3 buses to work when I started my apprenticeship, I think that gives me more to offer an employer than the fact you got chased by bulls in spain.
    I think anybody who says "awh man big woopdydo you went on holidays far away " gets seen as bitter because it stops the traveller from being able to smugly go on and on and on about swimming with dolphins and how dare somebody with a small mind who hasnt travelled not want to hear these stories.
    The thing people who have "done the whole travelling thing " dont understand is you all have the same bleeding stories . Its what I find so annoying about ye. You are telling me the same bleeping story somebody else told me last week.
    Im not bitter , anywhere I went to would be called boring by your crazy Austrailian standards. I had a few holidays in Europe . But while you were spending your 20s selling ice pops on an austrailian beach I got a trade , had 3 kids and quite enjoyed my time here. Ok its gone to piss in the last year or so but its not too bad.
    So to recap its not your divine right to bore everyone to death with how you earned 6 grand an hour in oz but havnt got twopence to rub together , how you went to see some band you can see here in a different country and that makes your story better than the time I seen them in Dublin , or any boring holiday story .
    You were always just a plane flight away your hardly Christopher Columbas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

cloptrop wrote: »
    I think that people that went travelling are really smug about it and go on and on and on about it. They think it gives them some sort of better world view than everyone else because they hiked an inca trail . I used to get 3 buses to work when I started my apprenticeship, I think that gives me more to offer an employer than the fact you got chased by bulls in spain.
    I think anybody who says "awh man big woopdydo you went on holidays far away " gets seen as bitter because it stops the traveller from being able to smugly go on and on and on about swimming with dolphins and how dare somebody with a small mind who hasnt travelled not want to hear these stories.
    The thing people who have "done the whole travelling thing " dont understand is you all have the same bleeding stories . Its what I find so annoying about ye. You are telling me the same bleeping story somebody else told me last week.
    Im not bitter , anywhere I went to would be called boring by your crazy Austrailian standards. I had a few holidays in Europe . But while you were spending your 20s selling ice pops on an austrailian beach I got a trade , had 3 kids and quite enjoyed my time here. Ok its gone to piss in the last year or so but its not too bad.
    So to recap its not your divine right to bore everyone to death with how you earned 6 grand an hour in oz but havnt got twopence to rub together , how you went to see some band you can see here in a different country and that makes your story better than the time I seen them in Dublin , or any boring holiday story .
    You were always just a plane flight away your hardly Christopher Columbas.

That really does sound a bit bitter cloptrop.

I must be lucky that I don't get this vibe from people who travelled. If you don't want to listen to them then don't.

This thread can be closed really. Basically if you want to travel, do it (Me!) and if you don't want to then don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

tok9 wrote: »
    That really does sound a bit bitter cloptrop.

I must be lucky that I don't get this vibe from people who travelled. If you don't want to listen to them then don't.

This thread can be closed really. Basically if you want to travel, do it (Me!) and if you don't want to then don't.

Yes if you want to go do it, but be wary that not everyone cares so if you are going to travel just so you can bore everyone about it when you get home dont.

Ride other 20 year olds

You can do that at home in your twenties. I ask again, what can you do in your twenties that you can't do in your sixties when travelling. You can still see new cultures etc in your sixties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

cloptrop wrote: »
    Yes if you want to go do it, but be wary that not everyone cares so if you are going to travel just so you can bore everyone about it when you get home dont.

Damn it and I was already to schedule an appearance on RTE when I come back to address the nation!

Advertisement