Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Travelling Myth

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Still people coming on to tell us about their holiday then state their point. The amount of empty reading in this thread discribing how people went where before saying their point. Just saying I was away will sufice.

I kayaked around the galapigos islands . I won a poetry competition when I was 12 that was the prize . Now Im thirty and have come home to a very bad job market that wants experience . I told them I had life experience . I heard him mutter hippy under his breath as I left before the door hit me on the way out. Anyway I m gonna try get a job in the local boozer until I save the money to go there again . Ill probably knock some girl up in this time. If so I have the bar job to fall back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

cloptrop wrote: »
    I kayaked around the galapigos islands . I won a poetry competition when I was 12 that was the prize . Now Im thirty and have come home to a very bad job market that wants experience . I told them I had life experience . I heard him mutter hippy under his breath as I left before the door hit me on the way out. Anyway I m gonna try get a job in the local boozer until I save the money to go there again . Ill probably knock some girl up in this time. If so I have the bar job to fall back on.

I can't tell what parts of your post are in jest, but that's an amazing prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Ficheall wrote: »
    I can't tell what parts of your post are in jest, but that's an amazing prize.

Please try not to injest my posts they arnt very edible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I plan on doing my traveling mostly when I retire, I think I'll go on numerous cruises. Of course until then I'll travel a bit, book a week somewhere maybe once a year or so. Don't like going away for more than 10 days in the one spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I plan on doing my traveling mostly when I retire
    sure you will. Assuming you are alive of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

gara wrote: »
    People don't need to take drugs to know they aren't for them, they don't need to eat liver to know they'll hate it and nor do people need to travel the world in order to validate their thoughts on the matter and to think otherwise is just astoundingly arrogant

How does one know unless one takes drugs?

How does one know unless one eats liver?

How does one know unless they travel?

Answer: Through second hand information, from someone who has already tried them, therefore, ones's opinion is based on another's experience resulting in an opinion that lacks credibility.

Thanks for confirming my point old chap, anyway you only get one so enjoy your second hand life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Don't knock liver. It's delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

So are drugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Don't knock liver. It's delicious.
    With rasher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Oh this thread is so what I think. People in this country think they`re so interesting when all they are doing alot of the time is following the well beaten track. I find them boring and they say - "what happened you, you got so boring" and I think yea your sooooo exciting doing the same thing we did as teenagers and copying everyone else.... I`m looking for the road less travelled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ronomono

I've done some travelling so far in my life (Only 19! - Got some time left!).
    And I gotta say, I do want to do more.
    I'll sound like a proper douche saying it, But I really want an adventure like
    'Into The Wild' except without the dying and stuff....
    At this stage, I don't really see much point in sitting in a chair at a desk everyday for ~50 years, even though I may end up doing that. We live on a huge planet, that holds 7 billion of us, and has so many years worth of history to discover, I don't see why we can't go around and find new places, new knowledge, new people. I don't have a solid arguement for travelling like the OP wanted. I don't see why we 'need' a reason really.
    If I had the money, I would go everywhere I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

theg81der wrote: »
    Oh this thread is so what I think. People in this country think they`re so interesting when all they are doing alot of the time is following the well beaten track. I find them boring and they say - "what happened you, you got so boring" and I think yea your sooooo exciting doing the same thing we did as teenagers and copying everyone else.... I`m looking for the road less travelled!

I'd say that's virtually impossible in this day and age. 7 billion of us knocking about this gaf so very little hasn't been explored on this planet at this stage.

But best of luck with that anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Who says travelling has to be a life-affirming, mind-blowing, eye-opening experience?

People travel for all kinds of reasons and simply hanging out with their friends on a sunnier continent and/or finding work are big reasons for many Irish people. Is the better option to sit at home on the dole, staring out at the rain?

I would never see any form of travel as ever being a 'waste of time' - even if it means coming home ten years later to a dead-end job that you hate, when everyone else is married, mortgaged and about to pop out a third sprog.

Even if you minimise the amount of foreign culture you consume, let's say you go to Oz in a pack of 20 and don't get to know any locals, eat/drink Irish, listen to Irish music and spend your days getting p1ssed on Bondi beach. By proxy of being in a foreign country there are cultural/social norms you will experience that you wouldn't at home - even popping to the supermarket or taking a trip to the bank will ensure that. Having a job there will ensure that.

Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't be my ideal. I live in Toronto and have a fair amount of Irish friends who I treasure, but live a very Canadian life. My boyfriend's Canadian. I work with Canadians six days a week. I do yoga, I go camping. Sometimes I even say 'I know, eh?'

But who am I to judge what the 'best' way of travelling is? What the end goal should be? Who are any of us to judge?

In my view it's a big old planet and there's too much to see and do to stay put on a small island with a crap climate that's crippled with economic devastation for too long.

You need to stretch your sea/plane legs if for nothing else, for your mental health. Living and working in Canada has taught me that I can be successful at home and abroad and there's a better life out there for me than the Irish economy would probably offer if I was back home. That's a lesson I learned without taking in any historical sights or without giving up my old habits of getting pissed with Irish friends just for the hell of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

beks101 wrote: »
    Who says travelling has to be a life-affirming, mind-blowing, eye-opening experience?

It doesn't have to be Beks but I think it's an awful pity if it's not those things. It should open the mind and challenge your thinking and leave you with memories (good ones and thank feck I survived that ones! :p). I think it's such a shame for people to save up, go all the way to somewhere like Australia and then spend day-in-day-out with the rest of the crew from Ballygobackwards having never really truly done anything different bar buy different brand of beer. Shame on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

leggo wrote: »
    Ignoring the obvious troll post. You're not even trying to keep it subtle anymore lads. Glad to see the OP touched a nerve so much you're now going to such lengths of research.

Why is everybody placing so much emphasis on my own opinion? It's just one opinion within the construct of an entire discussion. I mean, jaysus, are people that insecure that they can't stand the fact that there's someone out there who may or may not see them as a bit of a waster? And they must tease out every aspect of his point, research him and try and find one small hole, just to prove to themselves that they're not? Cop on lads!

My own opinion is that I don't just have a year of my life to write off for the sake of 'enjoyment', and there's nothing stopping me from enjoying myself here. But at the same time, I'm always open to review my opinion, which is why I asked the question. So far, no, there have been a couple of decent posts but everything I thought appears to be true. So far, at least...

i hope it keeps fine for you, however life is funny - one day you could wake up and get such a shock at a life event that might happen to you, and you will realize life is for living - you might then take off yourself for a year and "live".

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Am I the only one who wants to travel more when reading this thread? I definitely enjoy peoples travel stories and have never come across the bragging/boasting kind...
    Travelling/living somewhere else can definitely broaden your mind and in some ways change your life, but that doesn't have to be the main purpose of the trip. Having fun and gaining new experiences in different cultures is more than enough reason for me to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

OH my god, what a load of bollox! I can't read all 18 pages of this, but I just want to add that I spend over a year backpacking in Africa and it was great. Now I'm somehow an arsehole according to the OP?

Another load of bollox is the OP talking about travelling to "find yourself" or "escape your problems" ... that's cliched hogwash and I never met a person like that while traveling. If I met one I would certainly know, because they sound annoying. Luckily they don't exist, except in the jealous OP's mind.

Advertisement