Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance while abroad

Options
  • 28-06-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi I am just wondering does anyone have any experience with this.. I hope this is the correct forum.

I am going on Erasmus to Spain in September and my university states "All international students and staff are required to have health and accident insurance for the entire duration of their stay"

I don't know a huge amount about insurance, but do I look for an Irish provider of health insurance even though I shall be resident in a foreign country?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Hey,

I'm an Irish student in Belgium and have some experience with your question topic. I had surgery here in Belgium while I was away for the year and things have been mostly OK but make sure you get your card (see below), it can be complicated should something happen to you.

You should verify this officially:
    In Ireland we don't pay independent health insurance subscriptions like you do in a lot of other countries, so assuming you are Irish your are covered by 'insurance' in Ireland.
    When you go as a student to another EU country, you are then covered by the European Health Insurance Card which verifies that you are insured in your own country to basic healthcare (Make sure you get this soon! before you leave).
    What this means typically is that you are covered as a resident would be with basic insurance in Spain and if you end up in hospital, Ireland will pay your bills to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

I am going on Erasmus to Spain in September and my university states "All international students and staff are required to have health and accident insurance for the entire duration of their stay"

I don't know a huge amount about insurance, but do I look for an Irish provider of health insurance even though I shall be resident in a foreign country?

Thanks in advance.

Daughter is also going to Spain on Erasmus, here.

She was looking at insurance this week, think she was quoted something above €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭theyearof2010

@dyl10 Thanks for the reply. That's after clearing it up a fair bit. Insurance can be a bit daunting!

@paulgalway Sounds a lovely place. Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I called Aviva today and they said that VHI are the only place that seem to do it.

https://www.vhi.ie/global-health-insurance/index.jsp

Starts from around €39 monthly.

Thanks again for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mjedl

Aon do a student insurance as well i think

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

Aon do not have a minimum time frame for study abroad, however for vhi its minimum of six months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I know when my brother was studying abroad my parents got him Health Insurance through VHI. They had a special policy for students studying abroad. I remember it was quite well priced compared to a similar policy here.

I am sure other providers offer something similar.

Advertisement