Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit

Options
  • 28-06-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,

I recently applied to my bank for a CC but was declined and never told why, guess things really are alot tighter these days. Anyway since then I have been told by a colleague that a Visa Debit card(which I already have) will do practically the same thing but you can only spend what you have obviously.

The main reason for applying for a CC was to book flights and accomodation online and an odd purchase online aswel.

Can a Visa Debit card do all this? If so I wont have any need for a CC

Thanks
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gmax wrote: »
    Hello,

I recently applied to my bank for a CC but was declined and never told why, guess things really are alot tighter these days. Anyway since then I have been told by a colleague that a Visa Debit card(which I already have) will do practically the same thing but you can only spend what you have obviously.

The main reason for applying for a CC was to book flights and accomodation online and an odd purchase online aswel.

Can a Visa Debit card do all this? If so I wont have any need for a CC

Thanks
    G

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

yes,

VISA debit does the exact same thing and is accepted everywhere VISA is with the exception that you can't spend on credit (i.e only what's in your bank account)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gmax

Thanks lads! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Two minor exceptions I have encountered in my use of both:
    you can't use a Visa Debit card at toll booths (in Ireland at least)... something to do with instant verification or something
    When renting a car, many places require a Credit Card and will not accept a debit card.
    Other than that, everything is the same for me, shopping online, booking flights etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

tunedout wrote: »
    you can't use a Visa Debit card at toll booths (in Ireland at least)... something to do with instant verification or something
    When renting a car, many places require a Credit Card and will not accept a debit card.
    Other than that, everything is the same for me, shopping online, booking flights etc.

Not sure about toll booths(i take your word for it), but renting a car may be a problem. Even if you manage to do it, some money may be on hold in your account for some time...

There is some difference in authorisation process - every time i buy at POS the credit card authorisation takes less than few seconds, but debit card definitely longer(probably checking the balance with bank against purchase).

Apart from that it is great tool, especially if you are refused credit card. Never had a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Earlier this week I used a UB Visa Debit Card to pay road tolls in France - went through instantly, no pin required due to the low value

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Can (say) a car rental company put a "hold" (i.e. a pre authorisation) on a VISA Debit card (in the same way that they do with a credit card)?

Thanks in advance .

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Can (say) a car rental company put a "hold" (i.e. a pre authorisation) on a VISA Debit card (in the same way that they do with a credit card)?

Thanks in advance .

Friend of mine used Visa debit to rent a car abroad (Spain or somewhere), can't say what rental company tough...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

Jame Gumb wrote: »

Thanks in advance .

Yes and no. They can't perform a pre-auth on a debit card. What I have seen done however on a Laser card for example, is charge the authorisation amount to the card, and then refund it at a later date. Having worked in this industry for a short time a couple of years ago, the whole concept of pre-authorisation is simply to coax the customer into buying the excess waiver insurance, nothing more. If you want to avoid a pre-auth, depending on the company, bargin them down on the excess waiver. Many of the companies in Ireland offer it only for between €13 and €15. You will get them down to €7 or €8 per day if you try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭3DataModem

A pre auth is possible on a debit card. You just need the amount as available balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

Just be aware of the charges on the card for foreign transactions. I took out £80, using my visa debit, in the north and was charged €3. I had a £100 transaction up north as well and put it on my CC. The CC charged just over €1.

bop1977 wrote: »
    Just be aware of the charges on the card for foreign transactions. I took out £80, using my visa debit, in the north and was charged €3. I had a £100 transaction up north as well and put it on my CC. The CC charged just over €1.

Non-euro transaction are charged depending on bank.
    Also CC charge for withdrawal would be even bigger, not to mention interest...
    Online transactions for most of the banks only involve exchange rate, which may vary.
    Transactions in Euro usually cost nothing, no matter where it is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

You might also find hotels won't/can't take a room deposit on a debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 osiri

wonski wrote: »
    Non-euro transaction are charged depending on bank.
    Also CC charge for withdrawal would be even bigger, not to mention interest...
    Online transactions for most of the banks only involve exchange rate, which may vary.
    Transactions in Euro usually cost nothing, no matter where it is used.

I just got my visa debit and am thinking about cancelling my credit card as I would save the €30 government charge.

I have a some reservations though about visa debit vs credit card.

How does the insurance on fraud, dodgy purchases etc. compare on the visa debit vs credit card? When I use my credit card online there is extra peace of mind in case the seller pulls a fast one. I know I can look for a charge back. I think this why most scammers ask you to transfer money into a bank account. Is there the same charge back facilities with a visa debit?

wonski, with regard to your post on ATM charges above in non Euro countries. If I use my credit card at atms abroad and have transferred extra credit onto the card in advance I will only get charged a 1.75% transaction fee, but BOI are saying with the visa debit the charge will be double that at 3.5%.

The problems with car rentals and toll booths mentioned previously would be very annoying. Will these be sorted out and are there any other similar issues?

Also are there many websites/shops that charge credit card fees on visa debits? Can anyone give an example? I guess there is nothing I can do about this anyway as all the laser cards are getting culled. When buying goods online, for example on the irishrail website where there is a 1 Euro cc charge, should you choose the "Visa" option or the "Laser/Debit" option?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Protections are pretty much the same.

Most car rentals will require a credit, not debit card.

When making a payment you will use Visa/Visa Debit option, not Laser.

Advertisement