Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing ban from AH

Options
  • 28-06-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭

I wish to appeal a ban from After Hours. I feel that my comments were unpleasant and deserved a warning however they should be looked at in context.

The offending poster was being openly sectarian several times and I made this comment to brush it off. I clearly avoided engaging in that sort of language myself and made a comment likening him to a knuckle dragging racist.

I feel the ban is totally unwarranted as I was being provoked and told him where to go without using and swear words.

I had no outstanding points or infractions and there were no warnings given in the thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Here is a link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79446708&postcount=623

It has not been edited apart from a line added by the mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hi fasttalkerchat

Have you discussed this with the mod in question?

Hi fasttalkerchat

Have you discussed this with the mod in question?

I did. He was polite but refused to go into details. He told me that it is being upheld that is all.

One other thing. Does this ban expire at 8am tomorrow or 24 hours after the alleged offence? Actually, is it 24 hours at all?

Ok fasttalkerchat, thanks.

I'm going to discuss this with the biko and I will post back here.

The ban is for 3 days and expires 72 hours from the time the ban is imposed.

Micky

• Advertisement

Hi fasttalkerchat

I would like to extend my apologies for the delay.

For disclosure, I requested the pm exchange from biko.

You rightly point out that you were flamed. The correct action after this is to report the post. I understand the frustration when someone is winding you up but the best course of action is not to retort with an equally inflamatory comment.

The mods can not allow a slagging match to develop in what should be a balanced and civil discussion. I don't believe there is a case for the ban to be overturned, This leaves the possiblity of a reduction.

However there was a group of posters from that thread that were banned. You recieved the lesser of the bans given out. Overall in that thread, the mod actions that were made, I believe the action regarding you was consistent and far.

I am upholding the ban and it's length.

Please take one important thing from this, if you are being baited, bring it to the attention of a forum mod via a reported post or by PM.

You may have an Admin review this if you so desire.

Thanks

Micky

To be honest with you I should have reported it. On thinking about this since there are 5 other comments I could have reported during my ban but since I'm against over-censorship online I let it go. I'm not going to bother appealing the ban again because it will have expired by the time it is overturned. Thanks for your help.

Hi fasttalkerchat,

It's no trouble at all, helping. I'm happy we have came to an understanding. In light of this, the ban shall be lifted with immediate effect. Live and learn.

Thanks

Micky.

Cheers for that. All the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement