Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Name Irelands Nanny State Laws

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 s.o.c.k

I second the aforementioned banning of 10 box fags. That doubled my consumption and expenditure practically overnight. Thanks gov. I wonder was there any notable decrease in kids smoking - doubt it. (Stopped now thank god)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,309 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought that was quite progressive myself. First and foremost it makes it easier for everyone - not just people in wheelchairs. It benefits the ill, impaired, elderly, parents (buggies) etc.

From a purely financial perspective it will save the tax-payer money in retrospective alteration of private houses for the impaired people. The state was having to hand out millions in grants for downstairs bathrooms and ramps.

I can see the benefits in it, but to force people to HAVE to have a wheelchair ramp goes too far. Make it a planning condition that by not designing the house with a wheelchair ramp, they forego the right to claim any grant for such.

If someone doesn't want a wheelchair ramp, they shouldn't be made to have one. Making everyone have a wheelchair ramp so they don't have to give grants for the few people who may end up needing one is too OTT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Having to wear a seatbelt when you're on your own in a car...

Would you rather go head first through the windscreen? The logic could be that it cuts reduces injury and so saves the HSE money on treatment and/or rehabilitation, or indeed that it might save your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Stiffler2 wrote: »

Dads don't have rights to their children after a split up if the wife is sane.
    There is nothing nanny-state about this, just outrageous sexism of a type that Irish feminists seem oddly comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

looking for a darwin award?

• Site Banned Posts: 7 .erre.3e3r

The senator, who is also a consultant oncologist, said the measures should be adopted at a European level.
    He said placing a ban on the manufacturing and sale of cigarettes should be a long-term goal.
    Senator Crown said: "It will give the companies time to re-tool the machines to make something else.
    "This is a time when the world is short of food. Imagine all that agricultural land being used to produce cancer causing tobacco instead of being used to grow food.
    "It will allow the pension funds to reinvest and it will give the addicts due notice, if you're still alive in ten to 15 years, you won't be able to get cigarettes legally."
    Senator Crown, along with Jillian van Turnhout and Mark Daly, advocated a Bill that will see a ban on smoking in cars in Ireland when children are in the vehicle. The Bill was approved by the Cabinet yesterday.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0627/senator-calls-for-ban-on-tobacco-products-by-2025.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Below is my favourite example of a Nanny State law. The Public Order Act. Under this law (s.5), you can be convicted of a criminal offence for being seriously annoying.

In the United States, they have freedom of expression (and yes, before anyone mentions it, Guantanamo Bay). In Ireland, we have this nonsense.

The Public Order Act created other offences (s.6) which seriously fall into the Nanny State category.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0002/sec0005.html

5.—(1) It shall be an offence for any person in a public place to engage in offensive conduct—
    (a) between the hours of 12 o'clock midnight and 7 o'clock in the morning next following, or
    (b) at any other time, after having been requested by a member of the Garda Síochána to desist.
    (2) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500.
    (3) In this section “offensive conduct” means any unreasonable behaviour which, having regard to all the circumstances, is likely to cause serious offence or serious annoyance to any person who is, or might reasonably be expected to be, aware of such behaviour.

The way US cops treat public order offences would be a real eye-opener to you then. I know of a group of J-1 students who were arrested, charged and convicted for drunken singing on a bus. Many things which are considered acceptable behaviour in Ireland would not be allowed in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

LordSmeg wrote: »

I agree that if it were legal it would reduce the crime involved but stronger drugs dont exists because drugs are illegal,.
    actually stronger drugs were created precisely because tamer drugs were made illegal. Crack and meth being prime examples. There is also evidence saying that by arresting and deporting pot sellers and users created more violent and organised crime gangs. That is the US which spreads out to the rest of the world.
    Studies also suggest meth has lead many users to stay with softer drugs due to the visible effects of the drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

The proposed minimum pricing on alcohol in supermarkets. This is a perfect example of nanny state law. I'm not sure if it'll ever see the light of day but I wouldn't bet against it.

Not being able to buy more than one packet of painkillers in the supermarket. I can buy a single pack of 48 in tesco but not two packs of 12.

And the codiene restrictions in pharmacies.

The off license opening hours one made my blood boil too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Second

Dads don't have rights to their children after a split up if the wife is sane.

Having a wife presupposes that you were married. Married fathers have lots of rights. However, there is a lack of political will to enforce those rights. It is unmarried fathers who have very few rights to their children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Gyalist wrote: »
    The way US cops treat public order offences would be a real eye-opener to you then. I know of a group of J-1 students who were arrested, charged and convicted for drunken singing on a bus. Many things which are considered acceptable behaviour in Ireland would not be allowed in the US.

Interesting point.

You may very well find that a major difference lies in the enforcement of laws, in many cases. There can be differences in the attitude of the police forces in the US and in Ireland.

It doesn't excuse the ridiculous laws that we have here, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

pajunior wrote: »
    I think some people are struggling to understand the difference between a bad law and a 'nanny state' law.

People who complain about "nanny state laws" in having no fucking clue what their on about shocker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

That really ranks as one of the most uneducated posts i've seen probably ever

That couldn't be any less true

Tell me where I am wrong then.
    DB21 wrote: »
    Mhmmm, would you mind telling that to the guy who had half his face eaten off in Florida last month? Sure the perpetrator was only "recreationally" using PCP.

So did the PCP eat his face or did the person eat his face? It was the person, the drug didn't do the crime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I did read it and I understood it. You dont agree with a law protecting children because it should be common sense not to expose them to risks from smoke but people should have the right to do it if they please. :confused:

You have a problem with banning exposing kids to second hand smoke in a confined space such as a car because you should be allowed to do whatever you want. That is what you have said. lol

No - this is what you think I have said, I did not say that though LordSmeg..
    but whateva....

/

^^ closing slash has closed the argument...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

So did the PCP eat his face or did the person eat his face? It was the person, the drug didn't do the crime.

This makes absolutely no sense....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Pub and club licensing laws. F*** me ... what utter backward regulation.

I go abroad (even to Britain) and can stay out til 6, even 8 in the morning. Yet because of a few clueless biddies and ultra conservatives lobbying to the govt who have the gaul to dictate an industry's working hours, I have to spill out onto the street with everyone else due to our "drinking culture".

Great strategy ... make everyone drink as much as humanly possible within a shorter time period and starting even earlier in the day. :rolleyes:

Motorbike Licenses - After you pass your test and get your full license you can't get a real bike for 2 years after you've passed your test.

Motorbikes - being forced to wear fluorescent jackets - coming in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Good thread OP. Most of my points have been said already- laws banning offies from being open after 10, niteclubs after haf two, laws banning recreational drug use and the law getting rid of 10 packs.

Another bad move, while not necessarily a law is the amount of tax on cigarettes to "discourage" smoking. It just encourages people to buy them off criminal gangs so the state is still left with the medical bill but none of the taxes to cover it.
    Mhmmm, would you mind telling that to the guy who had half his face eaten off in Florida last month? Sure the perpetrator was only "recreationally" using PCP.

That was a lie, he was not on PCP. Read more here. I'd say he was just mentally ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

WTF ... LOL

SO if I let off an atomic bomb in Dublin I'll get a €5,000 fine and 1 year jail probably with 11 months suspended if the court house / prison is still standing.

Oh that has made me lol.

You might think you got off lightly - then they sue you for damages ;)

But, the OP did conveniently leave out:

(4) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable to--
    1. a fine, or
    2. imprisonment for life or such lesser term as the court may determine,
    or both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Dean09 wrote: »
    Off Licences closing at 10pm.
    The most idiotic law ever introduced.

Not opening till 10am is worse.....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the noxious weed act
    what form of idiot doesn't know that weeds need to be cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

gaffer91 wrote: »

That was a lie, he was not on PCP. Read more here. I'd say he was just mentally ill.

However, it does say that it's possible it was a new synthesisation of a drug. Conveniently ignored.

As for the person who brought alcohol into the discussion, I recognise that's dangerous too. But how does that relate? Should PCP be publicly available? Is that your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

However, it does say that it's possible it was a new synthesisation of a drug. Conveniently ignored.

As for the person who brought alcohol into the discussion, I recognise that's dangerous too. But how does that relate? Should PCP be publicly available? Is that your point?

Without turning this thread into another stupid 'legalise drugs' thread - people putting the likes of PCP and other crazy **** into the same barrel as marajuana need their head examined as much as face-off man.

Here's another regulation that's going to come into force at some stage; I went into a pharmacy to buy a bottle of teedex for my 2 year old who had been up all bloody night teething for about a week. The pharmacist was reluctant to give it to me.

She then informed me that while the bottle says from 2+, the regulations are going to be changed to state it cannot be sold for children below 6 years of age.

6??? Who da foook has a 6 year old teething??

Just as bad as being made to feel like a junky in a lot of pharmacies because of the recent regulations on the sale of codeine based drugs.

THOSE are nanny-state laws / regulations.

You can't even buy feckin' gripe water down here anymore.

I can walk into a chemist in Spain, without a prescription, and buy a few boxes of Valium over the counter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

The point is that alcohol is more dangerous than most illegal drugs and it is correctly accepted that it is still better off legal.

I don't want to turn this into another legalise drugs thread because this actually is a good one. You can get a good understanding of my position in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

No - this is what you think I have said, I did not say that though LordSmeg..
    but whateva....

/

^^ closing slash has closed the argument...

No thats exactly what you have said lol there is no point in claiming you didnt the text is there as proof.

The fact your desperate to kill the discussion about it without so much as one attempt to clarify your supposed meaning just compounds it.

Seeing as you said it though perhaps try and back it up. Why is an adults right to do as they please more important than a child's welfare ? Why do you think common sense is superior to law in this circumstance ?

If you stand by your claim you didnt say that, by all means clarify what you meant to say.

No thats exactly what you have said lol there is no point in claiming you didnt the text is there as proof.

The fact your desperate to kill the discussion about it without so much as one attempt to clarify your supposed meaning just compounds it.

I just couldn't be arsed arguing with you is all. The OP is there, perhaps you misread the interpation of what I meant.

ok ?

You said I said I said it was okay to smoke in a car with a child.
    I never said that tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Motorbikes - being forced to wear fluorescent jackets - coming in soon.
    Our EU Godfathers are responsible for all that and the following. :)

Motorbikes in General are Anti EU.

They are small, they represent freedom and they are a lot more difficult to track down through urban areas with CCTV & ANPR cameras than any other form of transport. The EU is working overtime to discourage younger motorcyclists starting up.

They would prefer people to be driving cars or using registered smart cards on public transport rather than riding bikes because it would make it a lot easier for them in future to track all your movements. :)

1- The Anti tampering Regulation: Specifically Article 18 which wants to stop all modifications to complete power train, from airbox to controlling the rear tyre profile.

2- Compulsory ABS. If we can't stop this, we must get a switch so that we have an option in difficult conditions where ABS doesn't function well.

3- Automatic headlights on- passing the blame for poor observation on to us.

4- OBD. On Board Diagnostics so that easy roadside checks can be made of our emissions and so that constant readouts of engine performance can be obtained. Expensive, complicated and with the threat, rather like a tacho, of identifying past riding style...

5- RMI. Repair and Maintenance Information. Rather than keeping it hidden and available for huge expense, there is a chance that manufacturers will be forced to provide ECU codes etc for a fee. What that fee is remains to be seen.

6- The very worrying article 52: "If systems, components or seperate technical units on a list in a delegated act to this regulation, have a dual use, for vehicles intended exclusively for racing on roads and for vehicles intended for use on public roads, they may not be sold or offered for sale to consumers"

So if your K&N filter can fit a CBR race bike and a CBR road bike, the best way to police that, is to make it illegal to sell the filter in Europe.

The Delegated Acts are the most scarey thing, as they are the lists and details drawn up by the unelected and we won't get to see what they are including until after the Regulation has been passed!

7- In solidarity with the French we will be drawing attention to their recent gov proposal to ban all bikes over 7 years old from an urban area and to make the wearing of day-glo/ reflective clothing compulsory.

8- Full sleeve day-glo clothing for riders and passengers has been proposed in the Irish Parliament too.

9- All these issues lead to the same thing, that we must take the blame for the incompetence of other road users. And while the emergency stop has been removed as a compulsory element of the car driving test, we are jumping through hoops with ill judged UK interpretation of EU licencing directives.

10- Another EU licencing Directive is on its way (3DLD) to step the bike licencing system still further and the DfT and DSA still haven't sorted even the consultation process, even though it is meant to be in law by now and enacted January 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I just couldn't be arsed arguing with you is all. The OP is there, perhaps you misread the interpation of what I meant.

ok ?

Its not arguing its discussing the OP/topic of the thread. Posted by you. You dont want to discuss your on topic in your own thread then why start it ?
    You said I said I said it was okay to smoke in a car with a child.
    I never said that tho.

Where did I say that ? Nowhere. I said you said you were against the law because you think there shouldnt be a law on it because its common sense and it would go against the rights of the parents to do it. Which is what you did say.

Here:
    It should be common sense not to smoke with a child in the car, however banning it won't stop the parents from smoking in their house while the child is present. It also takes away our civil liberties & rights to do as we please as adults

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Have you seen the total mess in Dublin city - crime, drugs etc., totally f'd up place.

I only wish we were a Nanny state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

FYI : http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/27/us/florida-cannibal-attack/index.html

I think you'll probably find that guy would have been fairly unstable without the use of what you call 'PCP'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Needing a prescription for a flippin Asthma inhaler! WTF!

I have to pay my idiot doctor, who I don't really need to see as I'm not actually sick, 55 euro so that he can tell me all about his holiday home and then ask me what inhaler I use :mad: and then, and only then, can I toddle off to the pharmacy to pay 14 euros for the inhalers. The same inhalers I've been using for 15 years - that's 70 euros for two inhalers - two inhalers I used to get in Spain for seven euros over the counter :mad:

What they hell do they think I'm gonna do with the inhaler that I need a prescription?? - the worst that I can do is take too much and give myself tremors/the shakes. FFS.

It should be a case where you are diagnosed with asthma you get a prescription for the inhalers suitable for your type of asthma and then forever more you just go into the one pharmacy, utilising the doctor only when needing a nebuliser or extra help. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Laws against recreational drug use.

The only person drugs hurt is the person taking them. I really can't think of a good reason for continuing to keep drugs illegal.

Yes but there is already a law against half eating someone's face off. Therefore the drug ban part is just doubleing up with pure nanny state law.
    Being on drugs is no excuse for such a horrible act.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Solphadine

Licensing laws

New drink driving limit

Excessive health and safety regs

I don't need protection from myself thanks very much

Chinasea wrote: »
    Have you seen the total mess in Dublin city - crime, drugs etc., totally f'd up place.

Is is probably deliberately left to decay like that . :p

Our EU Godfathers are responsible for all that and the following. :)

Motorbikes in General are Anti EU.

They are small, they represent freedom and they are a lot more difficult to track down through urban areas with CCTV & ANPR cameras than any other form of transport. The EU is working overtime to discourage younger motorcyclists starting up.

They would prefer people to be driving cars or using registered smart cards on public transport rather than riding bikes because it would make it a lot easier for them in future to track all your movements. :)

1- The Anti tampering Regulation: Specifically Article 18 which wants to stop all modifications to complete power train, from airbox to controlling the rear tyre profile.

2- Compulsory ABS. If we can't stop this, we must get a switch so that we have an option in difficult conditions where ABS doesn't function well.

3- Automatic headlights on- passing the blame for poor observation on to us.

4- OBD. On Board Diagnostics so that easy roadside checks can be made of our emissions and so that constant readouts of engine performance can be obtained. Expensive, complicated and with the threat, rather like a tacho, of identifying past riding style...

5- RMI. Repair and Maintenance Information. Rather than keeping it hidden and available for huge expense, there is a chance that manufacturers will be forced to provide ECU codes etc for a fee. What that fee is remains to be seen.

6- The very worrying article 52: "If systems, components or seperate technical units on a list in a delegated act to this regulation, have a dual use, for vehicles intended exclusively for racing on roads and for vehicles intended for use on public roads, they may not be sold or offered for sale to consumers"

So if your K&N filter can fit a CBR race bike and a CBR road bike, the best way to police that, is to make it illegal to sell the filter in Europe.

The Delegated Acts are the most scarey thing, as they are the lists and details drawn up by the unelected and we won't get to see what they are including until after the Regulation has been passed!

7- In solidarity with the French we will be drawing attention to their recent gov proposal to ban all bikes over 7 years old from an urban area and to make the wearing of day-glo/ reflective clothing compulsory.

8- Full sleeve day-glo clothing for riders and passengers has been proposed in the Irish Parliament too.

9- All these issues lead to the same thing, that we must take the blame for the incompetence of other road users. And while the emergency stop has been removed as a compulsory element of the car driving test, we are jumping through hoops with ill judged UK interpretation of EU licencing directives.

10- Another EU licencing Directive is on its way (3DLD) to step the bike licencing system still further and the DfT and DSA still haven't sorted even the consultation process, even though it is meant to be in law by now and enacted January 2013.

This pisses me off big time & is total horse s*i*
    See my thread in the motorcycles forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Freedom of the City of Dublin. I think they foresaw the difficulties of walking down O'Connell street at night.

A law passed in 1454 states that any merchant that becomes a Freeman or Freewoman must possess the following items:
    A coat of mail.
    A bow.
    A light helmet.
    A sword of their own

Chinasea wrote: »

So what you want is communist Russia or North Korean type control of people which is where Europe will be in what ? 100 years, granted I'll be dead but whateva.....

As I explained, its all a plan to piss people off and put people off bikes,

If the EU cared so much for bikers they would have made our government remove all the cable barriers along on our motorways. Its all legislation from Mercedes driving control freaks.

If the EU cared so much for bikers they would have made our government remove all the cable barriers along on our motorways. Its all legislation from Mercedes driving control freaks.
    I doubt THEY have the authority to do that...that would be down to local government, no?

• Advertisement

Seems like mostly sensible stuff to me though. The one thing I'd really like them to do is enforce noise regulations on motorbikes - there's nothing worse than a moron on a bike deafening everyone around or waking people up at night with his screeching. I put up with it for years where I used to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

looking for a darwin award?

I actually agree with this. If people want to be dumbasses and not wear seat belts/motorcycle helmets, etc., then let them. And I don't buy the whole 'but the rest of us pay their medical bills' stuff; I pay the medical bills of the fat arses who are giving themselves diabetes by the time they are 35, but nobody is banning soda and cheeseburgers (well, not yet anyway). Either we pay into a system where everyone has the freedom to be stupid, or make people individually responsible for their medical bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Health and safety have some real beauties IMO. . .

I doubt THEY have the authority to do that...that would be down to local government, no?
    AFAIK fresh installations are now outlawed.

I believe the year that they got banned in Holland was around the same time that the FF Government rolled them out across the country. They probably got them cheap under some some back deal from a supplier that knew their days were numbered.

Two bikers were killed returning from electric picnic a few years back when their bike careered into the cable barriers along the M7 median near Monistereven.

Several threads in the Biker forum over the years.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065016

AFAIK fresh installations are now outlawed.
    Outlawed EU-wide or just here, I wonder?
    I believe the year that they got banned in Holland is the same time that the Irish Government (Under FF) rolled them out here. They probably got them cheap with some back hander from a supplier that knew their time was up.
    Sounds like Fianna Failure alright...

Outlawed EU-wide or just here, I wonder?
    Fresh installations AFAIK but thats useless if they are still all over the place.

The Cork / Mallow stretch is in an appalling state of disrepair, they are cheap to install but require constant maintenance.

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=175830

This is what makes me sick about motorcycle safety legislation, the dictate one thing and neglect another. They should be ripped up and replaced immediately irrespective of cost if they can save lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Needing a prescription for a flippin Asthma inhaler! WTF!

I have to pay my idiot doctor, who I don't really need to see as I'm not actually sick, 55 euro so that he can tell me all about his holiday home and then ask me what inhaler I use :mad: and then, and only then, can I toddle off to the pharmacy to pay 14 euros for the inhalers. The same inhalers I've been using for 15 years - that's 70 euros for two inhalers - two inhalers I used to get in Spain for seven euros over the counter :mad:

What they hell do they think I'm gonna do with the inhaler that I need a prescription?? - the worst that I can do is take too much and give myself tremors/the shakes. FFS.

It should be a case where you are diagnosed with asthma you get a prescription for the inhalers suitable for your type of asthma and then forever more you just go into the one pharmacy, utilising the doctor only when needing a nebuliser or extra help. It's ridiculous.

You can ask your doc for a yearly prescription as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Not a law yet but there is a law
    campaign to ban cheese advertising cos there's too much fat in it.

let all the fast food joints carry on though and the soft drinks etc.

Nonsense.

Now that would be Nanny state stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Censorship of the media during the day. I.e TV programs, Movies, cursing on the radio during the day. Lazy, clueless parental and conservative organizations basically dictating what's suitable according to their opinions and moral stances.

Back to the 50's with ya's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You can ask your doc for a yearly prescription as far as I remember.

It's a six month prescription you get, actually if you're a chronic sufferer it won't last six months as you get six inhalers and that might not last two weeks if you're sucking on them - and seeing as I use my inhaler maybe twice a year it works out for me as 70 euro for two inhalers- two inhalers that cost 14 euros.

My point is, I shouldn't have to pay anything - my prescription hasn't changed in 15 years, my asthma hasn't gotten any worse, he doesn't do anything in the line of check ups when I have to go into him, he always has to ask me what inhalers I use, every single time I go in.

It's a complete waste of my time and money - I'm not ill, checking my blood pressure/bloods/lungs is a waste of time, nothing is gonna show up - there's nothing wrong with me, my asthma (and the majority of asthma sufferers) is brought on by allergies and is completely controllable with exercise and breathing exercises. Once or twice a year or sometimes even two years I might get a cough or cold and it triggers an attack which is quickly sorted with a ventolin inhaler.

I've been caught out before where instead of just going into the chemist and getting sorted I had to wait for a doctors appointment - you can't be asking for emergency inhalers all the time and very few chemists will give them out like that - so I ended up suffering for six or seven hours while I wait for the gombeen to give me a prescription. Not pleasant at all.

In other countries it can be bought over the counter for seven euro. I can't understand why it's not like that here.

I meant to add that there's evidence that people are putting themselves in danger as they can't afford to keep themselves going with inhalers and are both limiting and avoiding their preventer inhaler - there's just no need for it at all - link here: http://asthmasociety.ie/news-events/the-cost-of-asthma/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

The Irish government was the first European Union (EU) member state to announce a ban on the sale of incandescent light bulbs.[20] It was later announced that all member states of the EU agreed to a progressive phase-out of incandescent light bulbs by 2012.[21]

I prefer not to be energy efficient.

• Advertisement
Advertisement