Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think that love is real?

• 28-06-2012 1:11pm
    Site Banned Posts: 38 Glimmerdog

......or is it just bull**** that means you fall for the the best looking bird you can get? If you ask me love is horse ****....especially for men. We'll always go for the best looking bird we can get.

Therefore: I love you = you're the best I can possibly do

People who disagree with this have ugly birds.....these are facts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Arn't you a little ray of sunshine! :D

.... these are facts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

glimmerdog you sound very shallow and probably arent capable of love - for some people believe it or not , love is real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I hope you are very happy with your imaginary girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Somebody didn't get the ride last night.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Glimmerdog wrote: »
    ......or is it just bull**** that means you fall for the the best looking bird you can get? If you ask me love is horse ****....especially for men. We'll always go for the best looking bird we can get.

you'll understand that beauty is only skin deep once you finish puberty

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

I'm just saying....I've told a good few birds I love them but I replaced them pretty quick when something better came along. Can you really love an ugly person?

Have you ever been with a real man Glimmerdog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It's all chemical. Hormones attract and bond us to sexual partners - this first rush lasts for 4 years IIRC - enough time to procreate and both partners to stick around and ensure the child has the best chance of survival (especially in our 'caveman days'). If a relationship survives after that it reverts to a more stable, less 'horny' kind of relationship.

And phemorones play a huge part - chemicals released by certain sweat glands that we are subconsciously aware of. Studies have proven that we are more attracted to people who have different immune systems to us, thereby giving the child a stronger immune system and more chance of survival. Looks only really account for initial attraction.

Very few of us are actually suited to being with the one partner for life - some are and are extremely happy, but most of us get itchy feet after a couple of years.

I think I should write for hallmark:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Are words real?

glimmerdog youre problem is replacing the one you were steady with,why ruin what you currently have right now,for something else that maybe unsteady and may not work out..

if you keep doing that you are trapped in a cycle just like the cylce of those who are over controlling and possessive..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Well of course love is real, I was in it for 4 years with a woman a fare few years ago so it's perfectly real but terrible when it ends. Will never get that deeply involved again though as it makes a man weak.

the after 4 years part is the danger zone,and people talk about the 7 year itch ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Obvious ugger

ugger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's real, but also fake.

I believe the idea of love is human nature tricking us into mating. We're an arrogant species, us humans. We think everything we do is so important and crucial. We appoint ourselves top of the food chain, as if no other species had a right to a plot of land on this earth if we need an apartment block in its place. We, in fact, take other species and lock them up for public viewing as if they were some kind of freak show and not other rightful inhabitants of this planet we were clearly supposed to share.

So, when it comes to mating, we need to have all these self-important notions in our head to validate us. The flowers and the seduction and the warm feelings and the candles and the...bubble baths (I dunno, I'm running out of examples).

Because the idea of just humping randomers in the middle of the streets might be good enough for dogs, but not for us.

The thing is, we can't fight those feelings. They're built into our DNA. So, even if we acknowledge and understand the tricks we play on ourselves, it doesn't change the fact that we still need them. I understand that I can see, but that understanding doesn't mean that I can willfully make myself blind. Unless I stick a fork in my eye, but that's not what I'm talking about.

So, essentially, all love is is a trick of the mind in order to pro-create and keep the species going. If we all knew that the meaning of life was just to...keeping living, though, well that's boring. So why would we keep going? We have to have some exciting delusion of meaning behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Of course voles are real, they're little mice:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Vanity is a horrible human trait ...

Where To wrote: »
    Of course voles are real, they're little mice:rolleyes:

And cute too with their little long noses:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Obvious ugger

Obvious troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

ya sometimes feelings dont last thats the hard part you have to work at your relationship..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm just saying....I've told a good few birds I love them but I replaced them pretty quick when something better came along. Can you really love an ugly person?

You'll find someone glimmerdog, don't worry.
    Looks aren't everything remember, you've a lot going for you - you know what with the grand a week you earn and the legendary status you've already achieved. Some myopic sex pot will come along eventually and you can latch on to her. Till then just get your mammy to change the sheets a bit more frequently:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I love my brick!

Yes OP. It us very real. "butterflies" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I love my brick!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

As the famous scholar Haddaway once said, "What is love?"

ya sometimes feelings dont last thats the hard part you have to work at your relationship..

Or acknowledge it's time to get out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

I love my brick!

Is that your pet name for your other half Teddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It depends on where you are in your life.
    When you're young you go for the most good looking girl you can hope to score since you're not interested in settling down and have kids yet. You don't intend to stay with anyone forever at that stage.

When you get older you start appreciating other qualities in women and will look beyond the surface and also to how you get on outside of the bed. "Is this someone I can see myself with in 10/20 years?"

If you're lucky you find someone perfectly matched on the outside and the inside. This is when you fall in real love I believe.

But many people are in arranged marriages or they settle for someone who will have them. As long as the partners respect each other and get along I suppose that can be love too.

so dont work at a relationship past the four years , youre going to be stuck with short term relationships then..

Burky126 wrote: »
    As the famous scholar Haddaway once said, "What is love?"

Baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I hope you are very happy with your imaginary girlfriend.

he is in love with Palm and her five sisters :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Of course you did champ! Tell us another one champ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

kfallon wrote: »
    Somebody didn't get the ride last night....
    tumblr_m67filUCAe1qkj6b4.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Of course it's real. It's an observable chemical and electromagnetical reaction in the brain.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Of course it's real. It's an observable chemical and electromagnetical reaction in the brain.

Please refrain from posting with well written responses. You need to act with rage and bile. This is what the OP wants!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

All I'm saying is ugly people marry ugly people in the majority of cases because it's all they can get. I guarantee you if you did a study of ugly couples and good looking couples, the good looking couples would have a higher break up rate. This is due to the fact good looking people do not need to settle for one person and can always potentially do better. Ugly people are more likely to say they are in love because it's the only way they can convince themselves that the bloated welly they are with is the one they love......

But you said you told a few birds you love them, so you must be ugly.

But then you also said that good looking people have more options, which you also hinted that you have as well.

As such, the process of elimination leads us to the conclusion that you are an average looking dude.

Or talking ****.

• Advertisement

All I'm saying is ugly people marry ugly people in the majority of cases because it's all they can get. I guarantee you if you did a study of ugly couples and good looking couples, the good looking couples would have a higher break up rate. This is due to the fact good looking people do not need to settle for one person and can always potentially do better. Ugly people are more likely to say they are in love because it's the only way they can convince themselves that the bloated welly they are with is the one they love......

lololololol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Troll OP banned.

May as well lock this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Just to clarify, this thread was closed due to the OP being a troll and the subsequent derailment of the thread because of this.

Please feel free to start another thread - it could be a good discussion.

Let's give those Humanities lads a run for their money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement