Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donkeys not being taken care of

• 28-06-2012 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

hi guys, i moved to a house around a month ago and theres 3 donkeys living in a field right next to me, so i have been giving them the odd apples and carrots and didn't think much of it untill yesterday i decided to do a little reading on donkeys.
    Now the donkeys have no shelter no clean water, at least noones been here since i moved in and their hooves look quiet overgrown all bad things from what i read. So is there something i should be doing about it, calling someone? i mean they look fairly healthy, so is this common practice and i'd be wasting my time or?

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

SPCA would be the best people for smoething like this I'd say.

What exactly they do depends on the condition of the animals and if they are owned/if the owners around somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SPCA would be the best people for smoething like this I'd say.

What exactly they do depends on the condition of the animals and if they are owned/if the owners around somewhere.

Is there a privately run Donkey Sanctuary near you? They would do better. We had this some years ago with a lovely old white donkey with hooves like Dutch clogs. The council Animal Warden did nothing but a private sanctuary person got on much better.

NB shelter is a moot point as some in the SPCA allow that a hedge in a field is shelter... Not good is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

It's not acceptable for them to be kept like this. Contact The Donkey Sanctuary in Liscarrol, Mallow, Co. Cork. They have their own vet etc. Also, try the ISPCA or Gardai. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

I'd contact the Donkey Sanctuary in Liscarroll, Cork tel; <snip>. They have welfare officers around the country who would call out to see the donkeys and find out who owns them. No one will know that you reported it. Donkeys hooves should be trimmed several times a year, they need to wormed, be vaccinated for flu and tetnus every year and if they don't have shelter they can get 'rain scald' as their coats aren't waterproof.
    Thanks for taking an interest in these poor creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Razmael

just a quick update, there's a lady coming around tomorrow to have a look at them. will let you know what happens and thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement