Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranking on Bing

Options
  • 28-06-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so www.GalwayTransport.info is doing nicely on Google - getting on the first page, sometimes the first position, for relevant keywords (eg galway bus timetable) - though these aren't the easiest of keywords to rank for.

But it's nowhere on Bing :confused: ... and this bothers me 'cos Facebook's search is Bing .. surely this means it matters a lot.

Any ideas on how I could change this - or even on what to read for suggestions? Almost all the guides I've seen so far say to focus on Google, and the other engines will look after themselves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

JustMary wrote: »
    Ok, so www.GalwayTransport.info is doing nicely on Google - getting on the first page, sometimes the first position, for relevant keywords (eg galway bus timetable) - though these aren't the easiest of keywords to rank for.

But it's nowhere on Bing :confused: ... and this bothers me 'cos Facebook's search is Bing .. surely this means it matters a lot.

Any ideas on how I could change this - or even on what to read for suggestions? Almost all the guides I've seen so far say to focus on Google, and the other engines will look after themselves.

Oh dear - you said it - Facebook's search is Bing? Bing-search is actually also Yahoo's search but the amount of traffic from Bing in Ireland is less than 10% of total search despite being Facebook's search. Because it's also particularly bad at Irish specific search (quite often showing UK results) and it always been.

bing have their own Webmaster site - its a good read. They suggested that putting in a press release on PR-Web was pretty much a big strong point.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 vikashmundaa

Actually bing has lot more less indexed pages then google and thus it crawls backlinks slowly the reason you are not ranking is that bing might not have found your backlinks and thus you should focus getting links from those website who are raking better in bing as obviously these websites are trusted by bing and if you get backlinks from those will pass the authority towards your website too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

link8r wrote: »
    Bing in Ireland is less than 10% of total search ...

And that's what I'm not liking: it's responsible for more like 1% (if that) of my total search traffic.

Having done some reading, I suspect that page size may be killing me: lots of my pages have maps ('cos the site is basically about where things go). Not sure that I can change that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

JustMary wrote: »
    And that's what I'm not liking: it's responsible for more like 1% (if that) of my total search traffic.

Having done some reading, I suspect that page size may be killing me: lots of my pages have maps ('cos the site is basically about where things go). Not sure that I can change that :(

Bing! probably attracts a segment of the population that a) have old PC's and browsers and don't know how to change (so are you missing anything) or b) are dinosaurs who have been on the web for ages. It's also possible that people use both.

But you should be able to rank in Bing! just the same way as Google (or largely similarly)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 *Pexus1976*

I would agree with most of the comments, to be honest even if you do obtain a high ranking for an Irish related local website on Bing its very unlikely page visits will convert to sales as less than 10% of Irish citizens use the search engine. Its dominated by US.

• Advertisement
Advertisement