Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Newbridge

Options
  • 28-06-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody know if Tesco's (Newbridge) has stopped opening 24 hours?I was up there last night at midnight & the shutters were closed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

the last few mornings i passed it about 4:15 going to work and it was closed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

There was a sign just inside the door for the last week. Opening times changed. From memory (which ain't great) it is 6am to 10pm. Either way, it ain't 24 hours any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Their putting a chemist and costa coffee in the store. Down where the dvd's and computer stuff was at the end of the checkouts.So maybe its closing when the work goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

ken wrote: »
    Their putting a chemist and costa coffee in the store. Down where the dvd's and computer stuff was at the end of the checkouts.So maybe its closing when the work goes on.

I was wondering why the TV's were down among the veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

How do they have space to fit a Costa and a chemist in, I find it can be wedged in there at times at weekends!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Scruff101 wrote: »
    How do they have space to fit a Costa and a chemist in, I find it can be wedged in there at times at weekends!
    If theirs money to be made Tesco will cram them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

That Tesco is in serious need for some refurbishment and changes. The place looks seriously run-down. I do not know if this is due to proper management or something else. We've stopped shopping there and would rather go to the one in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

dont think its been 24hrs for a while tbh, same as dunnes they changed when the "downturn" started, your right with newbridge tesco's its brutal looking, love the one in kildare town but that only opens till 10pm as well...Naas would be ur best bet for 24hr tesco's

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

I don't think this store has ever been managed properly since it opened. The building exterior, car park and shrub beds are a disgrace permanently. I've no doubt Tesco are making serious money there, but not much is being spent on maintenance.

Having said that, I think the Naas store is awful; a soul-less barn which is sucking the life out of the town.

The Kildare store is pleasant, if a little lacking in selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

A friend of mine is working nights there as an electrician atm, so as far as I'm aware, they are doing a re-fit or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Damien360 wrote: »
    There was a sign just inside the door for the last week. Opening times changed. From memory (which ain't great) it is 6am to 10pm. Either way, it ain't 24 hours any more.

till midnight IIRC.

Last time they did work they altered the opening hours too, I discovered that as typically it was the only time I've ever needed to go in in the small hours, it went back to 24h after that.

Not sure though whether this change is permanent or not, didn't see anything saying it isn't (although the 24h signage around the place hadn't (yet?) come down on Wednesday), but I've had a feeling for a while after Dunnes stopped 24h Tesco would eventually follow suit.

Worst thing about the place is getting stuck in the carpark, on occassions it has sometimes take the best part of half an hour to get out of the place from the depths of main Tesco carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i was in there last night and a lot of the aisles were moved. medicines, deoderants and baby care were moved to were the dvd's were

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

I was in there yesterday & got talking to one of the girls that works there.It is opened from 6am-midnight,mon-sun for 10 days only while their altering the place.

On top of the costa coffee & chemist they are putting in a better range of clothing.It will be down were the t.v.s used to be.They will also have a better selection of household items.They have also changed the alcohol aisle.It looks like the one in the Naas shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,821 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They managed to leave Maynooth ("old" 2001-built store) open at nights during an extension and complete refit. It was absolute mayhem trying to find stuff and occasionally I'd go in (I do a lot of my shopping at odd hours) and find the aisles I wanted were closed so that might be why they're not risking it. Maynooth seems to have a decent amount of custom no matter when you're there whereas Newbridge has been empty the two nights I've had reason to go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

They finally got rid of those automatic Barriers at the entrance to tesco in Newbridge Aswell .... Never opened for me would always open halfway and need to be pushed the rest of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

They finally got rid of those automatic Barriers at the entrance to tesco in Newbridge Aswell .... Never opened for me would always open halfway and need to be pushed the rest of the way

I thought it was just me. The automatic doors in the Near Buy shop near Cill Mhuire usually don't open for me either. I thought it was because I've no soul...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

regedit wrote: »
    That Tesco is in serious need for some refurbishment and changes. The place looks seriously run-down. I do not know if this is due to proper management or something else. We've stopped shopping there and would rather go to the one in Naas.

I thought it was because of the fella floggin' the big issue and checking trolleys for money that you fecked off to Shelbyville?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I think they made the aisles narrower so they could fit more into the store, I noticed when browsing in the sweets section last week, it was actually a bit claustrophobic.

and ye the store is horribly run, lots of stuff out of date, messy, often have problems with being charged too much and having to show the staff the label with the price and wait patiently. the place has gotten worse the past 12months

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

and ye the store is horribly run, lots of stuff out of date, messy, often have problems with being charged too much and having to show the staff the label with the price and wait patiently. the place has gotten worse the past 12months
    I couldn't agree more. Badly run store that charges top price for everything. Shame on Tesco - a major retailer, devoid of excellence or even competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kildaredub

I'm a rep & call in there a couple of times a week. The store is having it's 10yr refit and is closed at night while the work is going on.
    The Newbridge store is actually in Tesco's top 10 stores in Ireland!
    I'm sure when the refit is finished in mid August it will be a great store with a much wider selection including clothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

kildaredub wrote: »

You say that like it's worth celebrating :D

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

tossy wrote: »
    You say that like it's worth celebrating :D
    * I always have to search for a basket there

* They charge 70 cent for a bag

* I'm in there nearly everyday and I never see a manager there, let
    alone know any manager's name

* Never an empty checkout

* Top prices on all items (except special offers) and they're always increasing prices

* No confidence in the freshness of food, or of stock rotation

* Horrible fruit & veg section

* No concept of customer service

* Only average selection of products - many ranges not stocked

* Absolutely no retail excellence

bureau2009 wrote: »
    * I always have to search for a basket there

* They charge 70 cent for a bag

* I'm in there nearly everyday and I never see a manager there, let
    alone know any manager's name

* Never an empty checkout

* Top prices on all items (except special offers) and they're always increasing prices

* No confidence in the freshness of food, or of stock rotation

* Horrible fruit & veg section

* No concept of customer service

* Only average selection of products - many ranges not stocked

* Absolutely no retail excellence

I agree with all of this! However I was in here on Friday and was impressed with the ongoing refurb. The fruit and veg section used to be dire. Couldn't get basics like lemons, limes, spinach etc. Now it's been moved to the entrance and is much bigger and is stocking a much wider range of fruit and veg. The layout seems to be going for something closer to that of the one in Naas which can only be a good thing. I get the impression as well that the narrowing of the aisles is just a temporary measure while they sort out each aisle one by one. It's looking promising at the moment, but until it's finished I'll only be going in for the odd bit, and will do my full shop in dunnes or lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

kildaredub wrote: »
    I'm a rep & call in there a couple of times a week. The store is having it's 10yr refit and is closed at night while the work is going on.
    I'm sure when the refit is finished in mid August it will be a great store with a much wider selection including clothing.

My biggest gripe about the kip is that the shelves ALWAYS seem to resemble a situation of having had a sale on......more half empty than full.

Will the stacking of the shelves be more prompt after mid August KildareDub ( You certainly seem to know a LOT about the shop )?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I was passing by there at 1am and thought it was open as well... as there were a lot of cars there, and not just builder's vans.. walked up to the doors only to find they were closed... Would it be too much just to put up a sign saying that it was closed???

At least those retard boy racers got a laugh out of me walking up to the door and walking back... Hopefully the builders will remove them when they are cleaning up the rest of the sh1te when they've finished...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Was in it last night for first time in a few weeks.

Pleasantly surprised by far better layout and superb lighting. Seems they are improving the carpark as well with new lighting and maybe they might actually clean the car park too, starting with the moronic boy racer types. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sillymoo2007

Was in Tesco tonight in newbridge couldnt be bothered to make the effort to go to all new shiney tesco in kildare, but was pleasantly suprised with new changes although you still need a sat nav to get round and pricing is all over the place, look forward to its completion

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

Does anyone know if their Costa coffee is open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

cliona88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if their Costa coffee is open yet?

I was in there on Friday.It still was'nt opened then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

They are closed at Midnight I think while the store is being re-fitted. Whatever about the store give a though to those who have to work through all the noise and everything else all night every night during the re-fit just a thought! ;). Think it will look well when it is finished.

Advertisement