Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog insurance

• 28-06-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Could anybody help me decide which insurance is best for my dog. Allianz seem to be the most comprehensive but I'm not sure??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

wekiva wrote: »
    Could anybody help me decide which insurance is best for my dog. Allianz seem to be the most comprehensive but I'm not sure??

We moved from Allianz to Tesco (RSA) where we got the same cover much cheaper. We had to make a claim recently. It was dealt with quickly, efficiently and with zero hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

There are a lot of factors involved in insurance - cost is only one of them.

Look at the exclusions - the fine print of what will/won't be covered, and if that changes over the dog's age. Depending on the breed of your dog this may have a significant impact on which insurer is best for you

Look at the excess - the amount you pay for each claim, and whether that increases each year or after a certain age

Look at the various discounts you can get - online purchase, multiple pets, microchipping, etc.

Ask your vet which insurer they use most often, and whether they will directly claim for the payment or whether you need to pay upfront & then get refunded by the insurer

Look at guaranteed cover - whether conditions will be covered for the dog's entire life (assuming it wasn't a pre-existing condition before you got insurance)

FYI - once you pick an insurer you're probably going to stay with them for the entirety of your dog's life b/c any conditions that develop won't be covered under a new policy with a new insurer. Pick wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 FiveSive

Im a big fan of Tesco. My car, pet and home are all insure with them. Unlike most of the other big companies you always actually get through to a person rather than a list of press option 1 for this etc...

Also the cheapest which doesnt hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wekiva

Thanks for the good advise. I will ask these questions when getting quotes. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wekiva

Thanks sorted with Tesco!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement