Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit issues

Options
  • 27-06-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice please. I gave my landlord my notice 28 days ago and today when handing back the keys I was informed that 1: I owed rent. Now I dont and have a rent book to prove this and 2: that i also was underpaying them.

I was paying what they told me to pay, now can anyone advise me on how to proceed with this as I had to leave their office (letting agents) because I forgot to bring my rent book with me.

Now this has left me without a roof over my head for the night, and costing me money for transport to and from their office.

How do I deal with this issue of charging me more money when their agent told me how much I should pay, any advice will be gratefully recieved and sorry for rambling but I am angry at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

nube dube wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for a bit of advice please. I gave my landlord my notice 28 days ago and today when handing back the keys I was informed that 1: I owed rent. Now I dont and have a rent book to prove this and 2: that i also was underpaying them.

I was paying what they told me to pay, now can anyone advise me on how to proceed with this as I had to leave their office (letting agents) because I forgot to bring my rent book with me.

Now this has left me without a roof over my head for the night, and costing me money for transport to and from their office.

How do I deal with this issue of charging me more money when their agent told me how much I should pay, any advice will be gratefully recieved and sorry for rambling but I am angry at the moment.
    You should have started a new thread and not tag on to another.
    How long have you been in the property.
    Did you sign a lease and if yes was it a fixed term lease and for how long was the term?
    Now I dont and have a rent book to prove this ....... I forgot to bring my rent book with me.
    Do you have a rent book?
    when handing back the keys ..... Now this has left me without a roof over my head for the night, and costing me money for transport to and from their office.
    If you were handing back the keys why didn't you have somewhere else organized to stay. You knew you were leaving.

I apologise if I have misunderstood your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nube dube

Sorry but really didnt know where to post. ok I have a rent book, forgot to insert a comma.

It was a 12 month lease, now they didnt have an issue with my notice and accepted it with no problems as I have been there over the year.
    I have organised another place to live, I just need my deposit returned so I can pay for my new home. as I stated in my post I was just angry at the time so I hope that answers everything. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭WhyGoBald

nube, I'd get onto Threshold and/or the PRTB first thing in the morning, they will fill you in on your rights and steps for redress. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html#lef21f

Thanks for the feedback on my issue, it's served to cement my belief that, while it was very possibly on the level, it might not have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

nube dube wrote: »
    Sorry but really didnt know where to post. ok I have a rent book, forgot to insert a comma.

It was a 12 month lease, now they didnt have an issue with my notice and accepted it with no problems as I have been there over the year.
    I have organised another place to live, I just need my deposit returned so I can pay for my new home. as I stated in my post I was just angry at the time so I hope that answers everything. thanks
    One thing I have been trying to establish is what lease you have as this affects the advice given.

Landlords/agents often agree to a tenant vacating but rarely state that if you do, they will with-hold the deposit as you are breaking the lease. Quite possible in your situation.

You started with a fixed term lease over a year ago - did you sign a new lease at the end of the fixed term. If not, then you may be on a Part 4 lease and a notice period would be 42 days (in writing) as you have been there for more than 1 year but less than two years. Again, with a Part 4 lease your deposit should be returned unless there is damage beyond normal wear and tear. But you are liable for the rent up to the end of the notice period of 42 days.
    If you have another fixed term lease then the landlord would be entitled to retain most, if not all your deposit.

If you have your own individual lease for renting a bedroom and share communal facilities, pay your rent separately from the other tenant/s then your tenancy is not in the remit of the PRTB and they will not accept a claim nor advise you on what to do. As you have a rent book, I think that this may be your situation. landlords rarely provide rent books as the lease will usually act as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nube dube

Thanks for the help but all was resolved yesterday, they had seriously messed up their accounts but as I had my rent book it didnt take long to sort out. I even got an apology. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement