Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing a deposit account

Options
  • 28-06-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

I have a deposit account that has matured. I wish to close it and move my money into my current account. I cannot do this over online banking and I can't find any instructions on how to do so on your website. So how can I do this without having to visit a branch?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi TouchingVirus,

Thanks for your query. You can send a signed written instruction to your account holding branch to close the account and transfer the money. You need to include details of your deposit account and your current account. Please provide a contact phone number also. We'll make the transfer for you once we've received the signed instruction.

You can find contact details for your branch here.

If you need anything else, please let us know.
    Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Thanks for the response Graham, I'll draft up a letter and send it off this week :)

Hi Graham,

So I'm eventually getting around to writing this letter and then I realise the deposit account was one I applied for online, so while I have the account number I don't have a branch - any help here?

TouchingVirus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi TouchingVirus,

If the account is a 365 online and phone deposit account you will have to call Banking 365 directly on 0818 365 365. An agent will close the account but please be aware that there may be a waiting period. If it was a deposit account you applied for online and it wasn't through Banking 365, you will need to write to your account holding branch where your current account is held. When you call Banking 365, they will be able to check it for you.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

Hi Linda,

I believe either yourself or the girl I spoke to today from Deposits is mistaken.

This was a 15mth fixed term deposit account opened in March 2011 which I applied for online that has since come to term and been changed into a variable interest account. Despite the fact I applied online, I've been told the account is still resident in my branch and that online deposits can't close it. Guess I'll just have to write that letter now and cross my fingers that there hasn't been another mix up - at this stage I just want my money in my current account as soon as possible.

TouchingVirus

• Advertisement

Hi Touching Virus,

I do apologise I wasn't aware of which account you held, if you send the letter to your branch, there should be no issue to close it and get the balance transferred over.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi there,

I've sent two letters and discussed this issue with my branch who say they have received photocopies of my letter but not the actual letter and as such they cannot act. I obviously didn't send a photocopy. I was told on the 3rd of August that a decision would be made the following Tuesday (the 7th) and I would receive a call. I never received any call. I phoned again on Friday and left a message requesting a call back. Nothing heard from them as of yet.

This isn't a loan which I might expect to have to jump through some hoops for - it is my money, there is no need for Bank of Ireland to be dragging heels over this issue.

If I have to take time off work to go to the branch (which is 45 minutes drive away because I opened it during my student days) I will close both my deposit account and current account and never again do business with you. I might do it anyway but I am going to ask now to whom should I make a complaint about this? Almost one month to close an account and move money to my current account is bordering on the ridiculous.

Hi TouchingVirus,

Apologies about the issues you have had. If you would like to pm us with your name, contact number and your local branch we would like to look into them and try resolve them for you.

If you would prefer to discuss the issues with our customer care department please click here.

I hope this helps
    Thanks
    Linda

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the prompt response. I've gotten in touch with your customer complaints department who have passed on my issue to the branch manager to be resolved. Hopefully I'll get this issue sorted by tomorrow.

Thanks

TouchingVirus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Just an observation, this seem a strange way to do business, over an open forum

• Advertisement

dharn wrote: »
    Just an observation, this seem a strange way to do business, over an open forum

If it highlights issues with Bank of Ireland's account closure processes and gets them sorted so nobody else is put on the run around then it's worth it. I hadn't intended on this turning into a complaint thread at the outset. I don't see how the observation helps though, the point of the forum and all Talk-To forums is to increase engagement with the company and leverage the Boards.ie userbase and so far it's proven to be pretty much the only avenue that has produced anything close to decent customer service.

And resolved today in the College Green/Dame St branch. Thanks for the assistance :)

Advertisement