Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Find me a fun car

• 28-06-2012 2:17pm

Strongly considering getting a second car - just for a year - I need to get the "fun" car out of my system while I'm still young :D

Now I've very little money, very max to spend would be 4k. I'm not worried about fuel/tax/insurance costs though quite as much. I don't have any specs for ye lads and lassies, I just want recommendations on what would be the most fun to drive and looks pretty decent too. Something that would sell on pretty easily in a year would be great.

My dream car when I was a kid was a 911 carrera but I can't afford that :D After that it was a Toyota MR2 GT T-Bar. So I'm thinking of maybe one of those, or something along those lines.

What would boys and girls of the motor forum buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭b318isp

Mk. 2 MR2 is a great car. I'd also recommend a BMW E30, even a 318i would give you some fun, 325i even better. E36 323i is a fine all-rounder. MX5 and Celica shouldn't be overlooked too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

MR2, MX5, RX8, 944... most cars that have 3 letters :D

also try an Audi TT, suzuki Cappucino, Z3, S2000, Smart Roadster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Twin-go wrote: »

She asked for a fun car not a FUND DRAINING car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Mazda MX-5, good fun and not too hard on the wallet
    Honda S2000 would be in a similar vein

Mazda RX-8, still good fun, good looking and a bit harder on the wallet (and maybe hard to find a decent one) and maybe harder to sell

I have had both the mazda's and loved them to bits

The Alfa GT above is a good shout, had a 1.8L GT and it was a lovely car

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »

It's worth it for the rare occaisions when it all works perfectly:cool::)

b318isp wrote: »
    Mk. 2 MR2 is a great car. I'd also recommend a BMW E30, even a 318i would give you some fun, 325i even better. E36 323i is a fine all-rounder. MX5 and Celica shouldn't be overlooked too.

Haven't had an E30, think it was an E46 I had if I remember correcly :confused: anyway, not gonna go down the BMW route I don't think.

Never driven that, looks wise it's a tad on the boring side, no?
    smash wrote: »
    MR2, MX5, RX8... most cars that have 3 letters :D

MX5 was never a car that did it for me. RX8 could be a runner if I find a decent one.

ha, yeh, I don't mind too much, I won't be driving it all the time, although I say that now.....
    Honda S2000 would be in a similar vein

Oh yeh, forgot about that one, could be shortlisted!

If it's going to be a 2nd car then go RX8 or S2000 for sure

I certainly wouldn't go for one in that colour

Looks are subjective but in black or red it is a fine looking car imo

and the interior is a very very nice place to be

With the alfa, it's all about that engine... oh god the noise

• Advertisement

Ok ok, I won't take the Alfa off the list just yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Go for a 2000 VW golf SDi baseline,
    Most fun car in the world to drive pure motoring pleasure.

Never heard anyone call an Alfa boring in terms of looks:confused:

But each to their own:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

josephsoap wrote: »
    banned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A mate has the GT, beautiful car to drive and the interior is gorgeous.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

€4k isn't going to buy and run much of a fun car sadly. Can you ride a motorbike?

For bang for buck,reliability and coolness you would be hard pressed to beat an MX5 (1.8) for fun,the are great craic to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Mini Cooper S

€4k isn't going to buy and run much of a fun car sadly. Can you ride a motorbike?
    4k to buy, not buy and run.

• Advertisement

josephsoap wrote: »

Definitely not a golf. But thanks :D
    Never heard anyone call an Alfa boring in terms of looks:confused:

But each to their own:cool:

Yeh I may have been hasty, and that may not have been the best pic (I didn't actually flick through the pics) I've looked at a few more and it's pretty nice to be fair. Just I'm looking for something a little less "sleak" I guess. If that makes any sense whatsoever - probably not :D
    Sleepy wrote: »
    A mate has the GT, beautiful car to drive and the interior is gorgeous.

Just tried to get a straightforward quote on 123 - cannot quote. Mightn't be as easy as I thought.

4k just for the car, running costs are separate. :)
    For bang for buck,reliability and coolness you would be hard pressed to beat an MX5 (1.8) for fun,the are great craic to drive.

I'll have a look at MX5s seeing as a few have mentioned them, just was never a car that I really got excited about for some reason.
    testicle wrote: »
    Mini Cooper S

Oh no, thanks a mil, I really don't like minis - even the cooper S. No interest. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Wexfordian wrote: »

Yeh I'm definitely interested in the 944. Very interested actually.

Incase it's of any benefit to know, I currently drive (and adore) an '05 Saab 9-3 TID Arc Sport. I want something polar opposite to that. Something a bit rough :D

I wonder if you'd pick up a boxter for that kind of money yet?

smash wrote: »
    I wonder if you'd pick up a boxter for that kind of money yet?

You would. But no. Just no.

You would. But no. Just no.
    the 3.2 is a good engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

my vote goes for mx5.

It will put a smile on your face everytime you drive it OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

People are going to start thinking I've got something against Alfa's, which I don't, I but them but the GT is one of their worst looking cars.
    It's so fat and bloated looking.

Honestly, if it's all about the engine then find one and drop it into an old spider. Now that'll be a cool car.

Not the same engine but still and Alfa V6.

I'd be tempted by an RX7.
    Full-12414749.jpeg

I'll have a look at MX5s seeing as a few have mentioned them, just was never a car that I really got excited about for some reason.

They certainly aren't lookers but they are great cars to drive and a lot of fun, though I will admit to being biased, I had a 1991 jap Import with leather and pop up headlights

I love pretty much anything with pop up headlights, which nicely leads me onto a big +1 for the 944, will hopefully get my hands on one of them in a couple of years

Little Z4? Over budget though

Full-11757928.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3374900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That's almost double the budget! :eek:
    One of the few German cars I'd consider buying, though probably in Z4-M if I was going down that route at all. :)

If those wheels are genuine then that's a real plus, looks nice and clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

They certainly aren't lookers but they are great cars to drive and a lot of fun, though I will admit to being biased, I had a 1991 jap Import with leather and pop up headlights

I love pretty much anything with pop up headlights, which nicely leads me onto a big +1 for the 944, will hopefully get my hands on one of them in a couple of years
    My misses drives mx5 now so I see it from outside when she pulls up in to our yard. It looks really lovely. I don't know why it's not a looker in your books... I personally love the exterior of mx5.

CianRyan wrote: »
    That's almost double the budget! :eek:

Yeah, I know, but I'm spending someone elses money!

I would have been the exact same until Neilw a hairdresser friend of mine bought one and i took it for a spin - a hoot of a car.

My misses drives mx5 now so I see it from outside when she pulls up in to our yard. It looks really lovely. I don't know why it's not a looker in your books... I personally love the exterior of mx5.

Looks are subjective things, I love the MX-5 as a car and would happily own one again but on the looks front they have just never really done it for me, there are better looking cars out there for me, though in saying that I do like the looks of the newer ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Never mind the GT - look at the GTV

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/GTV/3.0-V6-2/201214207614167/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

The OH has a 2001 version and it is a very fun car to drive. I'd drive it a lot more if the speedo was accurate!

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »

"In the best colour combination"

All Lies, black with Tan is best combo for the GTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ours is black with red leather - it's a stunning car in the interior.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/GTV/3.0-V6-2/201214207614167/advert?channel=CARS

The OH has a 2001 version and it is a very fun car to drive. I'd drive it a lot more if the speedo was accurate!

Now that I like!

Ours is black with red leather - it's a stunning car in the interior.
    I know, I had one... In Black with Tan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

BMW Z3 M would be brilliant.I'm not sure what price they go for nowadays though.Over budget I'm guessing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Might be a struggle to get a s2000 for 4k, you'd have to stretch your budget a small bit.

Might be a struggle to get a s2000 for 4k, you'd have to stretch your budget a small bit.

Or buy a rough one,neither is advisable when buying a performance car really.

Drool

Up a long while though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Tbh, I can't look past an MX5 either. Had one before I invested in an RX8 - great craic to drive and very good value for money these days. Would put a smile on yer face too as you spin about country roads on a sunny Sunday with the top down. You'd struggle to get a decent RX8 for 4k that wouldn't require an engine rebuild etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Drool

Up a long while though.

I dunno, like what's with this part, I honestly don't know how much that could cost.If it was something that simple surely he'd get it fixed.
    I have dropped the price to as there is a check engine light showing - a mechanic told me that its due to an air filter sensor needing replcement

and what the hell is that on the doors? :confused:

Just shows how little attention I paid to that ad, I only looked at when last updated, never read the bit you quoted.

And what is that on the doors??

I really want one of those now though :/

and what the hell is that on the doors? :confused:

Probably a pedestrian and cyclist tally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I would be meh about the S2000, if it's a weekend car go for something outragous.

RX7/Supra/GTV 6 pot

How old are you OP as if you couldn't get any quote from 123.ie on a v6 Alfa im guessing sub 25

>.<

I'm 29 (not for long :() But I put year of birth as 81 in case it wouldn't quote as 29. Full no claims, 8 years full license, no points etc etc.

It's the only site I tried to be fair.

What do folks think of the MR2? Yeh it'll be a weekend car mostly. I have my trusty diesel for normal stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

That's odd as i get quoted like €538 on focus st/golf gti/mazda 3/6 mps and im 29 too only 5 years ncb

• Advertisement
Advertisement