Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse riding in Dublin

Options
  • 28-06-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey guys, I know this isn't the right place to post but I'm not sure where exactly I should!! I'm looking for a horse riding centre in South Dublin that I can bring the kids to have a little pony ride and a look at the horses. Could anyone help me???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think you need one level up on the forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hey guys, I know this isn't the right place to post but I'm not sure where exactly I should!! I'm looking for a horse riding centre in South Dublin that I can bring the kids to have a little pony ride and a look at the horses. Could anyone help me???

Theres a horse riding/equestrian centre in Sandyford that you can go on a horse ride with the kids.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Brennanstown just south of Bray is another option a bit further out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from Aquariums

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Kellystown Riding School - http://www.kellystownequestrian.com/home.htm
    nice small riding centre with lovely quiet ponies perfect for kids starting out, in d16 rathfarnham area.

Bohernabreena Riding School - http://www.bohernabreenaridingschool.com/
    really lovely as well, think she does half hour pony rides as well as lessons.

But be warned - my parents started me riding when i was really young, thinking it might just be a nice once-a-week hobby - 20 years, 6 horses and a bigger wardrobe for my horses than for myself later, i think they've realised its no longer "just a phase" as they'd hoped :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meg meg

Hampton Lodge are a good place too .
    If you look them up on Facebook you should find them easy !

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Meg meg wrote: »
    Hampton Lodge are a good place too .
    If you look them up on Facebook you should find them easy !

They have a website now too

http://hle.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wLynch

I agree with a previous post. Every horse riding school in the country will do some kind of kids camp during the school breaks.
    If you want to find a good one you may just have to get in touch with the stables near you, then call out and try to get an idea of what its like.
    Also, google will help you find the well established centres...they are usuallt well established for a reason.
    Another good tip is to ask around... maybe the local vet or pet food store would be able to point you in the right direction.
    Another piece of advice would be to go to the stables on a busy day, like the weekend and have a look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

the paddocks in stepaside is good, seems to be quite fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wLynch

Yeah, their website looks really good. There is a blog on Coolmine Equestrians website that has a how to choose a riding school article. There is some good advice there about what to look out for and some tips about finding a good school. They have some good offers too.

I just noticed that Thornton park are running a groupon offer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

It'd be worth checking out Killegar Stables (http://killegarstables.com) too, you don't have to block book/pay for lessons, just pay as you go. My daughter started there and loves the place. Killegar run pony camps during all the school holidays as well as regular lessons.

As has been said, be warned, what starts out as a "go on a pony" can result in a serious horse addiction, which can be expensive :)

That said, I think it's a great thing for children to do, aside from fresh air outings etc, they can learn loads including responsibility and it gives them a great interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Hee hee dave66 mirrored exactly the danger I was talking about but if every pony mad kid had a dad as dedicated and helpful as he is we'd all be sorted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

LOL :)
    Hee hee dave66 mirrored exactly the danger I was talking about but if every pony mad kid had a dad as dedicated and helpful as he is we'd all be sorted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

That's very kind of you to say. Thanks. Heard somebody say once, make memories for your children, guess it has stuck with me and just trying to do that, I'm not doing it alone have a great wife helping too.

Advertisement