Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christchurch Advice

• 28-06-2012 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hey guys as i near the end of my apprenticeship (electrician) i have decieded to go abroad for a while and am really think christchurch as it has from my reseacrh nice summers and the heat will be at least bearable and also sum great fishing and outdoor things to do which i love. i would be looking for work as a trade assistant as an electrician till i get sorted with my nz papers..just wondering is there much work to be had in christchurch now? and also would 4000euros be enough to go with? i say i would have 5000 but a gud 1000 of dat will go on visa flights etc.. also am geting quoted about 750 1 way to christchurch in oct? and also anyone no of a good hostel to stay at while i get my feet on the ground? am goin to be headin on me own dunno if iam mad r not:rolleyes: thanks in advance:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Salmonfella

Anyone?:):rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

There were two YHA hostels in Christchurch before the earthquake, one in the red light district and one in the arts district. Both fairly good.

We were only allowed stay for 8 nights then had to move to the other one and back again. Did that for six weeks. Think it was around $17 a night.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

well reagards work i wouldnt ave a clue,,,keep an eye on seek or something like that,,,theres a bar in the city called the bog irish pub,,,if theres any irish in it they will hang around in there for a bit,,there also a few other irish bars too,,,i was there in 09,,have to say i loved new zealand,,,as regaurd hostels i wouldnt panic too much as theres loads around the city and suburbs,,,i just hope ur not planning to go make a fortune in new zealand

Thanks guys good help:D
    why do you say theres not a fortune to be made?:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

As in the wages and cost of living compared to Austrailia in particular might not mean you'll make a fortune unless you're on a good rate. Some work is quite low paid (hospitality, retail) wheres construction and IT seem to be on par with other countries.

However the average salary is apparantly approx $70,000 now which you can live very well on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 elprez

As far as I am aware you will be able to find plenty of work here. You may even get sorted with a job before you leave for NZ. Also as a sparky you will need to be registered. This is money spinner for the government here. Go to www.ewrb.govt.nz for more info.

I hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Check out this site for trade jobs, hope it helps :)

http://www.tradestaff.co.nz/

Thanks for the replys guys,there seems to be a steady amount of work for registered nz electricians so i may sort that out as soon as i arrive thanks for the links:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

No worries! Hope it all goes well for you :)

Advertisement