Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty Flooded

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Yep,town reopened this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Didnt see much from the bedroom window last night but heard everything that was going on,

Couldn't get over the sheer volume of water on the streets when I was leaving for work this morning (which was an interesting spin to say the least, over an hour to get from the house to ross).

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Hello,

We are heading down there tomorrow for a week - we stay outside Ross near the sea. Do you reckon the roads around Clon will be ok? :)

Any info appreciated! :cool:

Main roads are perfect,

I drove a few back roads yesterday morning that were badly cut up but unless your planning on exploring the rural parts of west cork you wont have any need to go near them :p

(and I mean really rural, I've living in west cork all my life and I never knew these roads existed until yesterday!)

Elbow wrote: »
    Main roads are perfect,

I drove a few back roads yesterday morning that were badly cut up but unless your planning on exploring the rural parts of west cork you wont have any need to go near them :p

(and I mean really rural, I've living in west cork all my life and I never knew these roads existed until yesterday!)

Hi Elbow,

Thanks for this.... we are going a bit rural all right! Out near Galley Head Lighthouse direction!? :P

• Advertisement

Haven't been down that way since, but a friend of mine lives down by galley head so i'll give her a buzz and get back to ya later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

We're heading down there ourselves on Saturday night. How is the town itself holding up? I understand most businesses are affected. Do you know if many of the pubs will be open? Having been in O Donovans before I can't imagine their nightclub being open for quite a while.

Edit: Got up off me arse and rang around a few places down there. Spirits are high, all things considered, with people saying it could be worse. Seems most pubs are open including O Donovans nightclub.

@kaylee nothing major to report on the roads, you'll be grand

We're heading down there ourselves on Saturday night. How is the town itself holding up? I understand most businesses are affected. Do you know if many of the pubs will be open? Having been in O Donovans before I can't imagine their nightclub being open for quite a while.

Edit: Got up off me arse and rang around a few places down there. Spirits are high, all things considered, with people saying it could be worse. Seems most pubs are open including O Donovans nightclub.

Went for a walk up town to suss thing out last night and I'd say 75% of business in town have been affected, most of the pubs were open last night though, had a pint in de barras and besides a slightly strange smell it was business as usual.

we've had friends down since Wednesday and they couldn't get over the sense of community around the place yesterday or how quickly the town.was cleaned up!

Thanks for that Elbow - much appreciated!!

Car is all packed up and we are starting the long journey soon.... :)

Arriving there never fails to amaze when you first step out of the car - the air just seems different :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Aftermath time in Clonakilty... Was there yesterday and today and the streets are lined with furniture and fittings. The recycling centre are offering a free service for electrical appliances this week as support.

Library closed.

This morning a digger in the river there and serious sandbagging in progress.

Wearisome work clearing up and some bad weather forecasts still ahead

Roads all around us are in a terrible state. Main roads are fine but we are out in the boonies and so much damage from torrents of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I was in Clon for a stag on Saturday and the place was hopping. Great to see the place recover so fast. We didn't notice any places closed. The only sign we saw of the floods waas the lack of floor covering in a lot of places, most places had just the bare concrete floors.

Well done to everyone for getting Clon going again so quickly and well done to the crowds we saw enjoying themselves and getting behind the pubs at least to help them through the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,502 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the large Eurospar reopening at all?

When I passed yesterday evening there was a few of the staff outside so I'm presuming the clean up is still on going, seems to be taking an awful long time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mountain

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is the large Eurospar reopening at all?

end of august, it really is a loss,

mountain wrote: »

Yes when I pass through I always stop there for a sarnie :( lovely food and staff

I'm guessing there must have been serious structural damage if it'll be another 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The Library is still closed and will be for some weeks yet. TSB are open but only just getting the ATM working.

Graces7 wrote: »
    The Library is still closed and will be for some weeks yet. TSB are open but only just getting the ATM working.

Checked last night and thankfully the ATM is working again, Lazy bastard here was beginning to get sick of having to take the long way to Scannels :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mountain

Eurospar finally due to reopen in the next day or so, took much longer than anyone expected.

Eurospar finally due to reopen in the next day or so, took much longer than anyone expected.

Great news yay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭west cork lad

Eurospar closed its doors permanently during the week, so soon after putting a lot of money into it. Still a sign of the times, I suppose. Sad for about 30 or so people who are out of work.

Eurospar closed its doors permanently during the week, so soon after putting a lot of money into it. Still a sign of the times, I suppose. Sad for about 30 or so people who are out of work.

That is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I heard they got there notice on friday and the place was closed on saturday. Hard to see what would go in there and do well.Pity for owners and staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

I assume the supervalu or dunnes are the ones doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

ofcork wrote: »
    I assume the supervalu or dunnes are the ones doing business.

NEW Lidl _Aldi soon across the road from the closed down Spar on The Inchydoney Road

chipsdave wrote: »
    NEW Lidl _Aldi soon across the road from the closed down Spar on The Inchydoney Road

lidl

Seems to have been hit badly again last night

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭west cork lad

Eurospar is opening up again tomorrow, rehiring all available old staff. Hopefully it can get the business to stay competing in the locality. Best of luck Ger Harte in this.

Advertisement