Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poaching

Options
  • 28-06-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, apart from ringing the fisheries is there much you can do about people poaching on the river?
    The last few days we have spotted a lot of it going on as we live close to the river. Should I keep my head down and let them handle it, or try to be visible to discourage it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Save this number in your phone - 1890 34 74 24. Call it as soon as you see anything going on. If you can identify the perpetrators yourself and are comfortable with coming forward to give evidence in court, your statement and ID evidence can be used to prosecute offenders, even if fishery officers don't get there in time. But whatever you do, please make the call while its happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yup, i have the number of the local lads as well. They haven't been able to catch anyone in the act. The sods in question are rodding salmon and then throwing them into a car that comes to collect them - saw them 3 times this week alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

A picture tells a thousand words so try nabbing a few photos too

Pretty sure i saw the fisheries lads parked outside the poachers house as i drove past today, as yer man was sitting in his car watching them watching him. Hilarious stuff. Will be spending the weekend in the bushes if i can watching for them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

Yup, i have the number of the local lads as well. They haven't been able to catch anyone in the act. The sods in question are rodding salmon and then throwing them into a car that comes to collect them - saw them 3 times this week alone.

What does rodding salmon mean ?

• Advertisement

Just using a rod to catch them - i.e fishing :p

Just using a rod to catch them - i.e fishing :p

I was thinking thats what you meant but is that still poaching. I always thought poachers used nets. Rodding to me would be fishing without a license

That happens too. Guy without a permit/license maybe a month ago picked up a kelt also.

Haven't spotted the guy poaching so far this year though, maybe he's been warned off.

That happens too. Guy without a permit/license maybe a month ago picked up a kelt also.

Haven't spotted the guy poaching so far this year though, maybe he's been warned off.

Another thing, how can you tell if someone is poaching if they have a rod. Would you not need to ask them first for a license and permit.

Post 3 explained it i thought. I've seen them nipping across the fields and chucking 3/4 fish into a car and then returning to fish - they are known to the fisheries lads also.

• Advertisement

Post 3 explained it i thought. I've seen them nipping across the fields and chucking 3/4 fish into a car and then returning to fish - they are known to the fisheries lads also.

I still wouldnt class that as poaching, maybe just going over the limit your aloud. In saying all that, next time you should have a word with them and tell them you have your eye on them, i dont think theyll be back. What river would this be on anyway

Nah, its poaching no two ways about it. They are known for it - just difficult to catch them in the act. Its on the Moy, down from the wood pool.

Nah, its poaching no two ways about it. They are known for it - just difficult to catch them in the act. Its on the Moy, down from the wood pool.

Its a tricky one because they prob do have a license/permit and if the fishery officers come, then they will be ok however when the fishery officers leave, they will be back to their old tricks and start dumping the salmon in the boot of a car. I think these men would be hard to catch and cant see fishery officers wasting their time trying to either.

Father in law used to be a fisheries officer, they are always interested in hearing about this sort of stuff. We've had the lads from the fisheries down to us a few times now, nice bunch of people. What this guy was doing was poaching - illegally capturing fish without a license to capture those fish. You are correct though, its difficult to catch them in the act some times but often just being seen to be patrolling can be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

I can't understand how this would be hard to catch in the act....

danbrosnan wrote: »

They have to be caught in the act. So fishery officers would have to keep them under surveillance, wait until they catch a fish and put it in the car, before searching the car when they're sure there are untagged fish in it. Its all timing, and might take a long time to get it right, all the while hoping the offenders haven't spotted you. To be honest, it would be a big investment of time for little reward in the overall scheme of things, most fishery officers are too busy to be engaging in large-scale surveillance operations for a couple of untagged fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Sorry don't agree with you zippy.... This should be done very easily and the people banned from the moy.... This is going on all over the country and if you think it's just a few untagged fish being killed then you are wrong.... Every river depending on size and catchment has hundreds and even thousands of fish killed every year without being tagged....

Sorry don't agree with you zippy.... This should be done very easily and the people banned from the moy.... This is going on all over the country and if you think it's just a few untagged fish being killed then you are wrong.... Every river depending on size and catchment has hundreds and even thousands of fish killed every year without being tagged....

I dont think legally you could ban any person from the moy. Yes you might be able to take their gear of them if they havent got a license but to actually ban them from the moy would be impossible. I agree that some measure should be brought in to try and stop this but i cant see it in the near future, esp as were in these bad times fishery officers just dont have the time or money to start patrolling the moy daily just to try and catch a few poachers. The figers just wouldnt add up. As for poaching anyway, it wouldnt be widespread as people suggest. In all my years fishing ive never once seen anyone poaching ever and ive fished a fair amount of rivers in my time. Ive yet to ever hear of anyone i know seen a poacher in all their years also.

They have to be caught literally in the act of committing the offense. Even if they are found with a pile of fish beside them untagged they can just claim they are not theirs.
    tootsy70 wrote: »
    In all my years fishing ive never once seen anyone poaching ever and ive fished a fair amount of rivers in my time. Ive yet to ever hear of anyone i know seen a poacher in all their years also.

I live right beside the river, I've seen plenty :)

Zzippy wrote: »
    They have to be caught in the act. So fishery officers would have to keep them under surveillance, wait until they catch a fish and put it in the car, before searching the car when they're sure there are untagged fish in it. Its all timing, and might take a long time to get it right, all the while hoping the offenders haven't spotted you. To be honest, it would be a big investment of time for little reward in the overall scheme of things, most fishery officers are too busy to be engaging in large-scale surveillance operations for a couple of untagged fish.

Do fishery officers even have the right to search ones car looking for fish. I always thought they had to call the guards to do the search. What would happen to poachers anyway, say they had no license, a few untagged fish in the car with all their fishing gear or maybe even a net or 2.

• Advertisement

Do fishery officers even have the right to search ones car looking for fish. I always thought they had to call the guards to do the search. What would happen to poachers anyway, say they had no license, a few untagged fish in the car with all their fishing gear or maybe even a net or 2.

They can stop and search, and enter premises. Equipment can be seized and the fine is 6k or 3 months - something like that.

They have to be caught literally in the act of committing the offense. Even if they are found with a pile of fish beside them untagged they can just claim they are not theirs.

I live right beside the river, I've seen plenty :)

O i dont doubt you, its just ive never seen or heard of any, only read about one or 2 cases over the years in the paper or on the net.

They can stop and search, and enter premises. Equipment can be seized and the fine is 6k or 3 months - something like that.

When you say enter premises, do you also mean enter someones home ? if so, i couldnt see it. 6k fine or 3 month sin jail, i think if i were a poacher id just buy a license lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Here are some general powers of a Fisheries Officer (Authorised Officer)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1959/en/act/pub/0014/sec0301.html

When you say enter premises, do you also mean enter someones home ? if so, i couldnt see it. 6k fine or 3 month sin jail, i think if i were a poacher id just buy a license lol

Yes, they can enter a house. It could be 3k fine and 6 months - it used to be 10 pounds, then 1k.

Yes, they have the right to search persons, belongings, and vehicles. They can also search commercial premises without a search warrant.
    For no licence/untagged fish it would probably be an on-the-spot fine. For a net it would be a prosecution in court.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yes, they have the right to search persons, belongings, and vehicles. They can also search commercial premises without a search warrant.
    For no licence/untagged fish it would probably be an on-the-spot fine. For a net it would be a prosecution in court.

This sounds more accurate than what i can remember - they can enter a premises where fish are being stored or for sale, i think i am incorrect about entering a private residence. They can search a car though. They can also apprehend and detain until the gardai arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Yes, they can enter a house.

Only under the issuing of a search warrant.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Only under the issuing of a search warrent.

Yar, i corrected myself above :) I was misremembering the section that sates they cant enter a house, but can enter a business.

• Advertisement

Yes, they can enter a house. It could be 3k fine and 6 months - it used to be 10 pounds, then 1k.

What could they possibly achieve by searching ones home. Even if they found a room full of net and a freezer full of salmon, i dont think it could stand up in court because the offender could easily say the salmon was bought in tescos and its not illegal to own nets.

Advertisement