Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poaching

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I was wrong about the private residence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

tootsy70 wrote: »
    What could they possibly achieve by searching ones home. Even if they found a room full of net and a freezer full of salmon, i dont think it could stand up in court because the offender could easily say the salmon was bought in tescos and its not illegal to own nets.

It's easy to scientifically prove the difference between a wild and farmed Salmon.
    There have been sucessful cases taken as a result of the searching (under warrant) of houses.

I was wrong about the private residence!

You're not strictly wrong. Under a search warrant, a private residence can be searched.
    It's a bit cumbersome, but possible none the less!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

Bizzum wrote: »
    You're not strictly wrong. Under a search warrent, a private residence can be searched.
    It's a bit cumbersome, but possible none the less!

I agree that if a know poacher has fish,nets etc stored in his home that it should be searched but i cant see any judge in the country prosecuting even if the fish were tested and proved to be fresh. Is it even possible to buy fresh fish in this country ?

even if the fish were tested and proved to be fresh. Is it even possible to buy fresh fish in this country ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "fresh" in this case. Any fish you buy should be fresh.
    Maybe you mean wild fish?
    In certain catchments you can indeed be in possession of a wild tagged fish, but not an untagged fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Perhaps if you advised the Fishery owners....?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Already advised, as well as local club, local residents and fisheries officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Already advised, as well as local club, local residents and fisheries officers.

Not much else to be done so......just keep the fishery officers discretely

advised......and local club officers.....dont lose sleep as its nothing new....

vexing for sure.....but when you consider what the Regulator , Banks , FF did

to this country , I'd chill out and leave it to those responsible for the fishery

and the fishery officers.....your information is hugely valuable , but I would

recommend being discreet at all times .....

Park Royal wrote: »
    Not much else to be done so......just keep the fishery officers discretely

advised......and local club officers.....dont lose sleep as its nothing new....

vexing for sure.....but when you consider what the Regulator , Banks , FF did

to this country ,
    I'd chill out and leave it to those responsible for the fishery

and the fishery officers.....your information is hugely valuable , but I would

recommend being discreet at all times .....

as the old saying goes "plenty more fish in the sea" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

People on here been flippant about a few untagged fish and never seen or known of poaching must be like horses with blinkers...

Every bay and estuary that holds salmon migrating stocks is been netted, down ere in kerry they are anyway....

Salmon stocks are at an all time low, rivers that used to hold salmon are now at a crucial stage.... The moy might not be in the same state because it gets all the investment from the inland fishery board..... What about the hundreds of spate rivers and lochs that hold sea trout and salmon all along the west coast, that have been forgotten about...

And all I hear is excuses about recession and man hours and can't do this and can't do that... You can do anything within your right.... I hate small minded, fearful ways of thinking, people saying hush, hush, you can't be saying that, hiding behind false names on Internet boards, any body that wants to come to Tralee during the month of august may come down and I,ll show you poaching on a massive scale....

If people think people are poaching in board daylight, and just because they don't see poachers that its not going on, the same people would look at a sandbag on the beach and wonder how it got there....

• Advertisement

Here's a video of what my family had to go through all because of poaching, and they said back then that it wasn't going on either....

Hundreds of convictions and my father was given the sack, fishery warrant taken off him, and his then manager told him that he would have a job for life if he would take it easy.... Stop causing so much trouble, prosecuting people for netting wild Atlantic salmon.... Ireland's greatest commodity...

as the old saying goes "plenty more fish in the sea" lol

If you are an angler you would know there is not plenty more fish in the sea....

danbrosnan wrote: »
    People on here been flippant about a few untagged fish and never seen or known of poaching must be like horses with blinkers...

Every bay and estuary that holds salmon migrating stocks is been netted, down ere in kerry they are anyway....

Salmon stocks are at an all time low, rivers that used to hold salmon are now at a crucial stage.... The moy might not be in the same state because it gets all the investment from the inland fishery board..... What about the hundreds of spate rivers and lochs that hold sea trout and salmon all along the west coast, that have been forgotten about...

And all I hear is excuses about recession and man hours and can't do this and can't do that... You can do anything within your right.... I hate small minded, fearful ways of thinking, people saying hush, hush, you can't be saying that, hiding behind false names on Internet boards, any body that wants to come to Tralee during the month of august may come down and I,ll show you poaching on a massive scale....

If people think people are poaching in board daylight, and just because they don't see poachers that its not going on, the same people would look at a sandbag on the beach and wonder how it got there....

Im not sticking up for poachers here but i would think it was the drift netters who caused the decline in salmon on this island, not the poachers! I remember reading they took something like 100000 salmon of the west coast each year and thats the only the ones that were counted. They destroyed the place!

Bizzum wrote: »
    Here are some general powers of a Fisheries Officer (Authorised Officer)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1959/en/act/pub/0014/sec0301.html

Wonder where this would fall in the eyes of the law.

Wonder where this would fall in the eyes of the law.

In Ireland bye law 595 of 1977 would be applicable.
    I'm sure you know that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Poaching happened everywhere.
    There's a group of foreign nationals netting the Shannon every week upstream from Shannonbridge jn a small dinghy .
    IFI know about it but haven't been able to catch them at it yet.
    I hope they dont accidently grt knocked out of their dinghy by a passing boat.

Advertisement