Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Will i have to drop out?

Options
  • 28-06-2012 4:07pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys and Gals,
    I am really worried and need your help! I am going into second year in UCD however i have a problem, i got on great last year with my exams with the exception of one, which i failed! :( When i got the results i was disapointed but it said i can repeat it in Semester One 2012/2013 for the 230euro fee and i will be emailed in August about registrating for this repeat.
    However I get the student grant, and in order to get the grant again next year I have been told I will have to provide my results and show I am still going to college etc. But now I am afraid i wont get the grant because i failed :(:( If i dont get the grant then thats the end of education for me, i simply could never afford it.
    Has anyone any advice for this situation ? I dont know what i should do now, who should i contact ??

Thanks in advance :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

You are still eligible for the grant if you progress to your next year. In order to progress you need to pass obtain 50/60 credits, which you have. So you're grand :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

WeeBushy wrote: »
    You are still eligible for the grant if you progress to your next year. In order to progress you need to pass obtain 50/60 credits, which you have. So you're grand :)

Ahh thanks a million for that!! Delighted so :) Was worried for a while there :eek: So do i need to say anything when i show my results of will they know im ok to continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 daoife93

Ok so i only have 15 credits after first year doing arts in UCD. Terrible i know, but i had an awful year, i'm from donegal and i just couldn't cope with the new environment!
    Can anyone tell me what my options are? what is the next step for me?
    I am considering dropping out, but my mother is not keen on it!
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

daoife93 wrote: »
    Ok so i only have 15 credits after first year doing arts in UCD. Terrible i know, but i had an awful year, i'm from donegal and i just couldn't cope with the new environment!
    Can anyone tell me what my options are? what is the next step for me?
    I am considering dropping out, but my mother is not keen on it!
    Thanks.

Options really are to repeat the exams, which I'd imagine would be repeating the year. Its not the end of the world either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

The repeat fees are fairly steep. I think its €230 per module. So if you have 9 modules to repeat it'll be a shade over €2000.

Alternatively you'll have to repeat the whole year, so that's the cost of course fees plus student contribution.

Info can be found here : http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/repeats/first_year.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The repeat fees are fairly steep. I think its €230 per module. So if you have 9 modules to repeat it'll be a shade over €2000.

Alternatively you'll have to repeat the whole year, so that's the cost of course fees plus student contribution.

Info can be found here : http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/repeats/first_year.htm

Are they not capped? Thought the max was €700 or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

ironclaw wrote: »
    Are they not capped? Thought the max was €700 or so?

I don't know. Didn't see anything about a cap on the website. Maybe a quick call to the fees office is needed to clarify. Any idea why resits cost so much in UCD whereas in other places (ITs especially) is usually between €30-€50?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ucd11

OSI wrote: »
    You also have to pay the registration fee, and any all other relevant fees for the year too.

Pretty sure that UCD took out a new policy last year, whereby if you're just doing repeats for the year you don't have to pay the student contribution charge, just the repeat fees and the student centre levy!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ucd11

No you definitely don't pay it for just repeats/resits, not last year anyway, unless it's changed for this year. I know because I took a year to just do repeats last year, should have probably made that clear in my last post, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,253 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This only came in last year, it's definitely still there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 daoife93

Hey guys, thanks for your replies! I called into the programme office today in UCD and chatted to them! Basically because I already have 15 credits there's no need for me to repeat the year.. I just stay in Stage 1 until I have the other 45 credits made up! So gonna repeat the modules I failed over this year & then hopefully if all goes well continue to Stage 2 in 2013. Fees don't apply, only the repeat fees and maybe the 158euro student levy!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

WeeBushy wrote: »

Hey sorry for annoying ya again, im downloading my resluts now and at the top of the page it says incomplete!!! :O I only failed one module so i only have 55 credits but will the grant people think iv failed the year because it says incomplete ?? worried now again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Locker10a wrote: »
    Hey sorry for annoying ya again, im downloading my resluts now and at the top of the page it says incomplete!!! :O I only failed one module so i only have 55 credits but will the grant people think iv failed the year because it says incomplete ?? worried now again :(

You'll be fine. When you register for next year you can go on to SIS and print off a certificate of attendance which will state that you have registered for second year. You could also include a note to let them know the situation. It's not going to prevent you getting the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DonQuigleone

Another thing to consider is that if you failed that badly in first year, it may be worth considering a change of direction.

Arts at UCD may not be for you. There's no shame in studying something different, or deciding to shift to another university, or even abandoning university entirely.

Advertisement